Apollo Bio-Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While we are on the subject...I just got a pair of Bio-fin and I love them so far, however, I'm still learning how to use them correctly. What is the best type of kick that should be used?

I like to go with the old axium comfort and fit, Apollo makes a good fin but a lot depends on the individual diver's kicking efficiency. I have the bio fin and also the old apollo straight fin. Lasted longer than my Quattro's

ocrmaster:
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

back to my original question can the bio fin be an effective

in CROSS currents (as per my original post)

Current is shifting from left to right and right to left every few feet.
No less or more so than any other fin.

ocrmaster:
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

back to my original question can the bio fin be an effective

in CROSS currents (as per my original post)

Current is shifting from left to right and right to left every few feet.

Dude...read my answer...the fin's ability to propel you is a constant. Cross current, up current, down current, diagonal current...it just doesn't matter. The fin still has the same ability to propel you forward. Whether the current is strong enough to overcome that is another matter, but the fin's abilities do not change in currents of any sort. Read the several answers that describe this, and I think you'll realize that I DID answer your original question.

Bios will give you just as much forward thrust no matter what kind of current you are in.

And cross currents don't shift back and forth. You're thinking of surge.

Just *think* about it for a minute and I think you'll realize that you don't have to follow up with "Well, what about down currents?"

Also, for anyone without spring straps yet, Apollo sells a set for $85. I have used these by Trident for about 100 dives (until I lost a fin) and they work just as well for half the price.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.asp?id=012067

AZ Desert Diver:
While we are on the subject...I just got a pair of Bio-fin and I love them so far, however, I'm still learning how to use them correctly. What is the best type of kick that should be used?

Try a quick but shallow flutter kick. In other words, lots of little kicks. Feels pretty much as effortless as kicking can and it scoots you right through the water.

It takes a little bit of getting used to not to use big sweeping flutter kicks, but once you get it, it's great.

Cheers :D

Nay:
Also, for anyone without spring straps yet, Apollo sells a set for $85. I have used these by Trident for about 100 dives (until I lost a fin) and they work just as well for half the price.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.asp?id=012067
Those look nicer than most, but I have to say one of the reasons people buy spring straps is to avoid plastic buckles and clips, which can break and are considered a major point of failure. I suppose these would help with the other major purpose: ease of donning and doffing.

CompuDude:
I suppose these would help with the other major purpose: ease of donning and doffing.

that's why I got them.
I've actually seen the stainless steel of one strap break before. That's fun.

Back
Top Bottom