APOLLO SPORTS Bio-Fin Pro Yellow(C-Series), ScubaPro Twin Jet Fins,Extra Force Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkUK:
Force Fins take some getting used to, and it appears from this board that you either love them or hate them. They are quite expensive, hence the reason perhaps not so many are as in circulation as other more-widely available and cheaper fins.

However, I've got three pairs of Force Fins – a pair of Force Fin Pros, a pair of prototype Force Fin Flying Force, and a pair of Force Fin Excellerators – and I've used them for over 3 1/2 years and I will not got back to paddle or split fins. They are ideal for me and give me plenty of power, good manoeuvrability, are small to pack, fairly lightweight, I can walk about in them, climb up any boat ladder while wearing them, etc.

If you have the chance, give 'em a try, but they might not suit you. It is all down to personal preference – me, I'm sticking with them, and I've made that decision after playing with most of the fins available on the market.

Mark

PS: Me and two others who are in a team of seven doing a charity scuba diving relay across the English Channel next week are using Excellerators. The others are using a mix of Apollo BioFins and Tusa Imprex-Zooms. Okay, so most divers aren't going to be finning along as hard as they can repeatedly, but that gives you an idea how much power versus effort you get out of all these fins – we tried some big-arsed paddle fins, but we were knackered after one run, and we've got to do 7-8 each. With the Excellerators, BioFins and Zooms, we've been able to churn out four or five runs in several hours with only an hour or so between them at the same speed.

No ones using the Atomic splits?? Too stiff for the amount of runs?

Mayhem,

Of the 3 you've mentioned, I have only used 2 so I'll just say what I know about them.

Apollos are great, easy on your legs go real fast even in currents and never give me cramps. I don't own the yellows but have the blue and XT version. Love them but they are little heavy and expensive.

Scubapro twins. They are ok but not faster than the apollos and they are a bit too wide for my liking.

I only own the force fin Excellerating and not the extra but they are great for travel diving and are pretty good in the water. They take some getting use to as it sorta locks your ankle when you kick and it feels weird but they work pretty well and frog well too. They are just way expensive, way too expensive to get a pair and find you hate them.

If you are looking to buy a pair, scubatoys may send you a pair of apollos and if don't like them return them.

Btw, my girl has a pair of atomics but she prefers her medium jets LOL!

SangP

Sdiver2489:
No ones using the Atomic splits?? Too stiff for the amount of runs?

Yeah, we did try the Atomics (along with most other fins), and while they do give you a decent amount of thrust, the effort needed was just too much compared with those that the team have gone for (in our opinion, of course).

Mark

I wish that some of the LDS had some pools to test them out, I ended up getting the apollo bio fin xt's with the spring straps.. Best thing since sliced bread

BUT

I have the SP Jet fins.. and they are great.. although they tend to give me a slight cramp on the side of my foot when diving more than 60mins

All in all it depends on your kick style and your level of comfort.. I settled between both a paddle and a split fin.. love them both to death :(

SoggyShoes:
You are going to find more opinions than there are fins as to which ones are best. I like my old Mares Quattros. My dad hates those but loves his 30-year-old Jets. One of my best friends thinks nothing beats his Atomic split fins. The point is fins (like masks) are a very personal thing. I would suggest one of two things:

1. Just buy a pair or fins and never try another pair. You will get used to them, like them, and never know the difference (or what you missing). Whatever fin you pick you will meet someone who thinks that they are the greatest fins ever!

2. (Recommended) Go to you local dive shop (or shops) and try some. Rent them if you have to. Who ever you are doing your certification with should be able to let you try a few. Both my friend and I found our current favorite fins because an instructor let us try different pairs of fins that he had. People may not let you dive in their fins but a lot of people will let you kick around in them. In general worry more about what works for you than what works for other people. I am glad I did or my father would have me diving in a pair of 30-pound Jets.

Good luck and most importantly HAVE FUN!

Soggy

I would agree with you !!! I have been diving with a pair of Atomics Split for nearly a year and find these to be the most comfortable pair of fins ever. Before these, I was using a pair of Volo's which were also very comfortable but not quite as powerful.

I let others try my fins and quite a few have gone on to purchase these after they have tried them.

However, let me relate an experience I had about 4 weeks ago with the Atomics split.
I was doing a few strong current dives (approx. 3-5knots ). In the cross currents with upswells and downdrafts, the atomics were not much good and got completely twisted. In these conditions, I would go back to using my old Quattro's .

I will continue to use the Atomics as I still like them alot and still maintain that they are the most comfortable fins I have ever used but if I were to dive in strong currents. I would pick the old Quattro's. BTW, I have also heard very good reports on Tusa Expert Zooms. I got to try these for one dive and was suitably impressed.

i have a pair of apollo xt-c, cant say anthing about them, they haven't got wet yet! but what i can say is: Dont buy mares Volo. they wont work in curents, and will simply break after a while. 1 fin broke in the phillippines. borrowed another, and brought home 1 fin, then borrowed 1 extra from my friend, and broke the other in iceland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom