Need advice on Apollo bio vs Scubapro Twin Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I could use some advice on these two fins from anyone that is familiar with both.
Background: I am a 67 years old recreational diver with a knee replacement plus a revision, and a hip replacement that also is going to need a revision. Yes, I know I have not had good luck with the switch to a bionic leg, but I am trying to keep diving as long as possible. I have been using Scubapro Twin Jet fins for the past two years because of the knee, and now because the hip prosthesis is failing I am considering switching to the Apollo Bio fins if they will give me more propulsion with no more strain on the hip and knee. I am not unhappy with the Twin Jets, but am wondering if the Apollos are going to give me that much more performance considering the high cost and much heavier weight of the fins. I had hoped to rent a pair of Apollos in my local area to test them in the pool while I am rehabilitating my knee, but none of the LDS' carry them in my area. I don't want to spend some $280 on the fins only to find out that the cost/benefit is not there for me with my leg issues. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I could use some advice on these two fins from anyone that is familiar with both.
Background: I am a 67 years old recreational diver with a knee replacement plus a revision, and a hip replacement that also is going to need a revision. Yes, I know I have not had good luck with the switch to a bionic leg, but I am trying to keep diving as long as possible. I have been using Scubapro Twin Jet fins for the past two years because of the knee, and now because the hip prosthesis is failing I am considering switching to the Apollo Bio fins if they will give me more propulsion with no more strain on the hip and knee. I am not unhappy with the Twin Jets, but am wondering if the Apollos are going to give me that much more performance considering the high cost and much heavier weight of the fins. I had hoped to rent a pair of Apollos in my local area to test them in the pool while I am rehabilitating my knee, but none of the LDS' carry them in my area. I don't want to spend some $280 on the fins only to find out that the cost/benefit is not there for me with my leg issues. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Altamira: Glad you are still diving. Good for you. I think you are best to keep diving with your SP Twin Jets. Our bio-fins are pure natural rubber, heavier, and with more propulsion but not enough to change with what you already are diving.

I have used both and must say I found the Apollo Bio Fins had more thrust , especially when on the surface . I am diving with drysuit and every little bit helps .
See if you can borrow a pair and see for yourself but I found a noticeable differance and favor the Apollo Bio .
To mdb , bring back the full foot version to North America please and thank you }

Altamira: Glad you are still diving. Good for you. I think you are best to keep diving with your SP Twin Jets. Our bio-fins are pure natural rubber, heavier, and with more propulsion but not enough to change with what you already are diving.

Wow! What a pleasure and treat to hear from a vendor that is more concerned with the actual needs of a potential buyer than trying to push a sale. I think that attitude says a lot about the integrity and professionalism of mdb and the folks at Apollo. I know their product is outstanding and now know their rep on SB is equally outstanding. I am going to continue to look for the opportunity to try the Apollo Bio and buy them if I can appreciate the difference. One thing is certain: If I decide to buy a new set of fins in the future, Apollo will get first shot at my money. Good on you mdb (Mike I suspect).

Wow! What a pleasure and treat to hear from a vendor that is more concerned with the actual needs of a potential buyer than trying to push a sale. I think that attitude says a lot about the integrity and professionalism of mdb and the folks at Apollo. I know their product is outstanding and now know their rep on SB is equally outstanding. I am going to continue to look for the opportunity to try the Apollo Bio and buy them if I can appreciate the difference. One thing is certain: If I decide to buy a new set of fins in the future, Apollo will get first shot at my money. Good on you mdb (Mike I suspect).

Yes you can't take it with you!(the money)

I love my bio-fin pros, they are priceless in the water! get the spring strap too- easier to put on if you gear up in water; the ultimate fin for rec scuba diving. They will out live you!

Halcyon Dive Vehicles | Halcyon

With the prosthetic issues, I would switch propulsion SOURCES. The HDV-14 is actually pretty light and easy to carry---and much faster than swimming when you want it to be.
[video=youtube_share;76NbHUdH388]http://youtu.be/76NbHUdH388[/video]

There are much less expensive scooters than Halcyon also....I am not suggesting this brand is what you should get, just that the tow type like this, is very comfortable to use, and would solve your problem.

See if you can borrow a pair and see for yourself but I found a noticeable differance and favor the Apollo Bio . To mdb , bring back the full foot version to North America please and thank you }

I love the full-foot Bio-Fin Unis too. This fin model is now marketed by Gull Marine Sports of Japan. You can order a pair online from Marinetone of Hong Kong, who ship them very quickly anywhere in the world:
gf2443.jpg

GULL-bio-fin uni - Marinetone Scuba Diving Gears

Halcyon Dive Vehicles | Halcyon

With the prosthetic issues, I would switch propulsion SOURCES. The HDV-14 is actually pretty light and easy to carry---and much faster than swimming when you want it to be.
[video=youtube_share;76NbHUdH388]http://youtu.be/76NbHUdH388[/video]

There are much less expensive scooters than Halcyon also....I am not suggesting this brand is what you should get, just that the tow type like this, is very comfortable to use, and would solve your problem.

Hopefully when the hip replacement is revised and the rehab work is done, I will be back to being able to dive without problems with the legs. I am not ready for a scooter on land or under water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom