Apple Cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a technology perspective apple makes products that

(1) are 99.99999% the same as the last product. Functionality never changes... only the marketing.

(2) compared to other high-tek companies, Apple sucks. If Microsoft, LG, Samsung or 90 other companies put products in the market that were as sloppy, buggy or unreliable as Apple then they would have the entire world press to answer to. Apple manages to get away with being a poor performer (in IT) with one simple policy..... "if you can't make it good... at least make it LOOK good"

R..

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I have never had a problem with an apple product. I use PC stuff at work and continually have to call IT for support, to fix problems. I guess it is whatever you like.

I think it's kind of funny that if you were talking about a dive computer you would call it intuitive, if it is an iPhone you call it a cult.......

I think you summed it up right there.

Android/google is a power users dream.

I couldn't agree more. I am in no way a power user. I may have a background in computers and understand what's going on under the hood, but when it comes to using a smartphone, I don't want to have to put on my engineer's hat.

I've had a number of PCs and Macs over the years, and stick to Macs for personal ownership. I liken it to comparing a house and a home; they look much the same in structural design and theoretical function, you can 'do the same things' with either, but there's, for lack of a better word, an 'organic' feel to working on a Mac. A PC feels like franken-computer, with parts from a wide variety of manufacturers and the OS from yet another. Macs, too, have parts from varied manufacturers (e.g.: hard dive, RAM, processor), but there's a consistent 'look and feel' that makes a Mac feel like a 'whole' computer, not an amalgamation of parts.

The iPhone provides a consistent quality intuitive experience with one safe, secure source for app.s, driven by a company with vision.

I look at Android phones and tablets, and have difficulty seeing how anybody can mess with these things without thinking 'Oh, an iPhone/iPad knockoff.'

Richard.

. . .
I look at Android phones and tablets, and have difficulty seeing how anybody can mess with these things without thinking 'Oh, an iPhone/iPad knockoff.'

If only my Samsung WERE a knockoff of the iPhone!

The very first thing I noticed about the Galaxy that bugs the crap out of me is that the "home" button, which is located near the bottom of the device, is nearly the same size and shape as the speaker at the top of the device--oblong with rounded ends. The home button is about twice the width of the speaker, but they feel quite similar to the touch when pulling the phone out of my pocket. In contrast, the "home" button on the iPhone is round and has a unique feel due to its concave shape. (Or at least that's how it was on my old iPhone 3G.) When I pick up the Galaxy in my hand it takes me a second or two to determine whether it is upside down or right side up. On the iPhone, one can determine the orientation of the phone immediately by both appearance and feel.

It's little things like this that someone at Apple apparently gave some thought to.

Uh, yeah, because they're the big innovators these days...

bxhwndmciaav70q_650_091014040218.jpg

[video=youtube;FL7yD-0pqZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg[/video]

Richard.

Hard to qualify the users of android based products as just "messing with these things" when you're talking about something that dominates 60% of the market and growing. A lot of people who turn away from apple are because they make money, make a living, run businesses with these products and they actually need them to do things that make money, run a business and make a living and not just look pretty or you can play music on or show people pictures of your kids or your dog.

Black Berry was the dominate business phone, and when you had a black berry you did things the black berry way or no way. You had to learn all the strange tricks and methods that black berry made you do, it took you weeks if not months to get up to speed with a black berry, it had a strong learning curve. Apple transformed and created the 'smart phone' market at the expense of black berry, they did it simpler and easier and new comers would choose the simple method Iphone over the difficult learning curve of the black berry, plus the iphone did things that the black berry couldn't. But apple's ego or whatever it is is similar to black berry, it's the apple way or the highway with their products, they design them to do what they want them to do and that's it, if you don't like it, they could care less. Android came along and bridges the gap between the simplicity of the iphone and the complexity of the black berry, giving users the ability to enjoy the simplicity of the iphone/android ease of use experience but if they want more, it's there for them to grow into. That's always been apples way, the ipad, the ipod, great products back 10 years ago, not really very innovative today, very limiting in what can be done with them. Apple lovers call that the apple simplicity, power users look at those items as a waste of time and turn to android and surface tablets that allow them to do much, much more with them.

Android came along and bridges the gap between the simplicity of the iphone and the complexity of the black berry, giving users the ability to enjoy the simplicity of the iphone/android ease of use experience but if they want more, it's there for them to grow into.

Sort of. A user who prefers simplicity has to go through contortions to configure his Android device to be simple. How screwed up is that? It's impossible to delete all the bloatware that came on my Android device. Do I need three different apps that all seem to have to do with navigation? Or apps with names/icons that provide no clue as to their function? My old iPhone had only the apps/functions that seemed essential and nothing that mystified me. The purpose behind everything seemed obvious.

Also, I'm not sure I buy the argument that iPhones are for people who merely want to "play music on or show people pictures of your kids or your dog." There is much more garbage on my Android phone that seems to relate to playing music, games, sharing photos, social media, and other things I want no part of than there was on my iPhone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom