Apple Cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My journey through the country of smartphones started with the Motorola Q. Then a blackberry, a short run with a 2nd generation droid then on to an iPhone. The iPhone is where I will stay for now. It does exactly what I need it to do. If I need to do more I will fire off the PC and use WIFI or the Jetpac to get work done. I could use the hotspot function on the phone but I have a Jetpac for that.

Sort of. A user who prefers simplicity has to go through contortions to configure his Android device to be simple. How screwed up is that? It's impossible to delete all the bloatware that came on my Android device. Do I need three different apps that all seem to have to do with navigation? Or apps with names/icons that provide no clue as to their function? My old iPhone had only the apps/functions that seemed essential and nothing that mystified me. The purpose behind everything seemed obvious.

Samsung S5 eliminates all that. You can dumb it down all you want, even all the way down to an Iphone if you so choose.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

More apple cult

"I just like it cause it has an apple logo on it..."

Samsung S5 eliminates all that. You can dumb it down all you want, even all the way down to an Iphone if you so choose.

Dang, I was not aware of that when I got my S4, which was heavily discounted (i.e., "free") because the S5 had just been introduced at the time. Since everyone seemed to be advising that the S4 was "just as good as the iPhone but costs less," I ditched the iPhone in favor of the S4 thinking I could save some money. I totally would have paid more for the newer S5 so I could have fewer features. (Wait a minute--did I just say that?)

Is it still an issue to upgrade to the latest OS version on a lot of Android devices? For awhile, I recall if you wanted to upgrade an Android phone, you needed to wait till your phone carrier released a version for your phone.

dfx:

See, Samsung makes hardware advances, but they don't do much with the software. And they're poking fun at Apple, but that's because Apple's got the mindshare.

Hard to qualify the users of android based products as just "messing with these things" when you're talking about something that dominates 60% of the market and growing. A lot of people who turn away from apple are because they make money, make a living, run businesses with these products and they actually need them to do things that make money, run a business and make a living and not just look pretty or you can play music on or show people pictures of your kids or your dog.

Most Android users are doing the same things iOS users are doing. And I don't think Android products are a dominant presence in business productivity. How many people are using Android as their main OS platform for running businesses, and what are they doing on it that can't be done on iOS (iPhone & iPad) devices?

Apple lovers call that the apple simplicity, power users look at those items as a waste of time and turn to android and surface tablets that allow them to do much, much more with them.

Wonder what % of the smart phone & tablet market are such 'power users,' and what they're doing that can't be done on an iOS device?

Richard.

Is it still an issue to upgrade to the latest OS version on a lot of Android devices? For awhile, I recall if you wanted to upgrade an Android phone, you needed to wait till your phone carrier released a version for your phone.
Depends on what phone you have. Nexus users get their updates straight from Google, and always have.

See, Samsung makes hardware advances, but they don't do much with the software.
Uhhh, maybe that's because Samsung doesn't actually make the software?

And they're poking fun at Apple, but that's because Apple's got the mindshare.
That image wasn't actually created by Samsung. It's Android users poking fun at Apple users, because they're lagging behind, yet religiously sticking to their cult leaders.

The instances where Samsung is poking fun at Apple are hilarious though!

[video=youtube;yUnlnopG_Xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUnlnopG_Xs[/video]

Most Android users are doing the same things iOS users are doing. And I don't think Android products are a dominant presence in business productivity. How many people are using Android as their main OS platform for running businesses, and what are they doing on it that can't be done on iOS (iPhone & iPad) devices?

Wonder what % of the smart phone & tablet market are such 'power users,' and what they're doing that can't be done on an iOS device?
When "you can also do this with $X" becomes your main argument, you've already lost.

Personal preference leads the way. I'll let you all argue but I have tried a droid. It sucked. I'll keep my iPhone��

That image wasn't actually created by Samsung. It's Android users poking fun at Apple users, because they're lagging behind, yet religiously sticking to their cult leaders.

This reminds me of when the original iPad came out. Apple didn't choose to publicize the technical details. Seemed to drive some of the tech. geeks crazy. What processor does it have? Just try it. How many megahertz does it run? Just try it' performance is snappy. How much RAM does it have? Don't worry about it; it just works.

I see the same issues continue to play out. Apple puts out a successful iOS product. Android endorsers start in comparing to some Android product that has a some-fractions-of-an-inch greater diameter screen size, or more RAM, etc... But most of the public isn't buying with the mindset of a hair splitting geek. Some features on a given Android product may be nice features; a microSD card slot comes to mind. But some of the anti-Apple arguments focus on things most people don't care about.

Uhhh, maybe that's because Samsung doesn't actually make the software?

That's my point. And therefore Samsung doesn't fully own, and cannot optimally refine, the user experience on their devices. It seems they do very well given the constraints they face, but at the end of the day, they don't even own, control & drive the evolution of the OS running on their own products.

Depends on what phone you have. Nexus users get their updates straight from Google, and always have.

Yet with an iPhone or iPad, it does not depend.

Android does ofter some additional choices, but this can become confusing for many people. If an Android phone or tablet offers a specific software or hardware feature that you need or strongly want, than no iOS device offers, then it may well be the better choice for you.

So, Android proponents, specifically what are you doing with your Android devices that iOS users can't? I'm curious to see some specific examples that end users are actually personally taking advantage of.

Richard.

This reminds me of when the original iPad came out. Apple didn't choose to publicize the technical details. Seemed to drive some of the tech. geeks crazy. What processor does it have? Just try it. How many megahertz does it run? Just try it' performance is snappy. How much RAM does it have? Don't worry about it; it just works.

I see the same issues continue to play out. Apple puts out a successful iOS product. Android endorsers start in comparing to some Android product that has a some-fractions-of-an-inch greater diameter screen size, or more RAM, etc... But most of the public isn't buying with the mindset of a hair splitting geek. Some features on a given Android product may be nice features; a microSD card slot comes to mind. But some of the anti-Apple arguments focus on things most people don't care about.
You should have rephrased that last part as: "Some of the anti-Apple arguments focus on things that Apple fanboys don't want to care about." That would be much more accurate. Apple fanboys simply dismiss the technological advances that the Android platform has made, because well, they're missing out. Sour grapes and all. These are not minor technical details we're talking about. Sure, for some people any modern smartphone is good enough, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows, doesn't matter, they all do the job for them. But some people want more. Android provides additional, new, cutting-edge features, iOS does not.

That's my point. And therefore Samsung doesn't fully own, and cannot optimally refine, the user experience on their devices. It seems they do very well given the constraints they face, but at the end of the day, they don't even own, control & drive the evolution of the OS running on their own products.
Which is why nobody here is arguing iPhone vs Samsung phones, but rather iOS devices vs Android devices. What's so special about Samsung? Nokia went for the Windows platform. It sucked for them. Too bad.

Android does ofter some additional choices, but this can become confusing for many people.
Confusing? Only if 1) you're not used to it and 2) it's not optional. Kinda like the manufacturer not giving you a choice. Sound familiar?

So, Android proponents, specifically what are you doing with your Android devices that iOS users can't? I'm curious to see some specific examples that end users are actually personally taking advantage of.
Did you not see the bottom part of the image that I've posted? That's what. (The "new" NFC feature is particularly funny, as iOS locks NFC to the Apple payment system, while Android leaves NFC open to other uses. Sucks for those people taking part in fun activities such as Munzee.)

Richard.

Don't know, but Android is 60% of the US market, so whatever they are or aren't doing, they are doing a lot of it.

In Q4 2013, according to research firm IDC, Google's Android mobile operating system had a 78% share of all users globally. Apple's iOS had just 18%. Now, IDC predicts that in 2014 Android will claim 80.2% of users and only 14.8% will be on Apple's iOS system. Mobile app revenue is growing faster on Android than Apple, also, according to Distimo. It's the same situation — Android growing faster

Am I saying apple is going away or is bad, nope, just keeping it real in regard to relevance. Will the iphone become the next blackberry, probably not as black berry was a totally different product, the apple and google phones are more similar to each other than the differences that existed between apple and RIM, plus there will always be enough fan boys of apple to keep buying them, right up till they shut the lights off after google eventually buys them.:eyebrow:

Evidence of the vast market share android has and has taken away from apple year after year is only evidence of the relevance of the platform. You may like what you like, but the numbers don't jibe with wondering what makes android successful, it is that successful.

While somebody might sleep in a tent over night to be 1st in line for a new iphone release, the numbers still reveal that for every one person buying that iphone their are 2 people buying apple's competition.

This is an interesting graphic that shows the story

smartphoneosmarketshare.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom