Apple Watch Ultra and Oceanic+ App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoop novo is the best. Easy to use, the right size and the battery lasts years.

Can you make phone calls with it & check your email?

…more seriously: different tools w/different purposes.

IMG_3s592.jpg

Version 1.1.0​

Thank you for using Oceanic+. We listened to your feedback and made the following improvements:
  • Dive data now records from the moment you hit the water, logging every time you go beyond 1 meter (3 feet), even if you press the "action button" mid-dive.
  • Dive ends with a five-minute countdown starting once you reach the surface. To end your dive, wait for the countdown to finish or press
    the "action button." If you want to continue your dive, simply descend again, and Oceanic+ will pick up where you left off.
  • Scuba mode is now the default setting once you purchase a subscription, eliminating the chance of auto-launching into snorkeling mode.
  • Manually enter GPS data and view one of the GPS points in the logbook using the Maps application.
  • Quick install of our Watch face with all the app complications for easy access to all features, including no-fly time and surface time information.
  • Minor bug fixes
Thanks to astr0b0y for posting- I almost scrolled past it with its truncated quote format, so this is the update info in full size.

Anyone use the AWU for diving and fitness tracking? I guess I was surprised when I saw I was getting full exercise and calorie credit for my dives. I know diving is a physical activity but I also feel so peaceful and serene during them there's stats feel a little off. First is a normal non-diving day, with 30 minutes of HIIT exercise and a couple miles of walking around the city:

IMG_4829.jpeg

Now this is a 3-tank dive day and no other exercise than walking a bit:

IMG_4830.jpeg

I'm happy to get the credit but curious what others think.

Yep, exercise tracking here too and I would assume almost everyone that owns one uses it for that. The credit towards calorie burn from diving seems iffy to me and seeing as there’s no heart rate tracking happening at the time I’m assuming it’s a very basic formula involving time and your entered body weight.

The credit towards calorie burn from diving seems iffy to me and seeing as there’s no heart rate tracking happening at the time I’m assuming it’s a very basic formula involving time and your entered body weight.
Why do you say that? If the sensors are still in contact with your skin, it should work. Obviously won’t work through a wetsuit or drysuit, but otherwise it should work.

Also, I’ve heard you can burn 400-600 calories per hour diving. Obviously will vary based on the dive.

BTW, here’s a screenshot of the heart rate log from a recent dive. This was from my Garmin, so could be different on the AWU, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t measure. Certainly enough variation to indicate that it’s actually measuring.
FC374A54-8F71-41A4-8AF7-9443B189EE94.jpeg

Anyone use the AWU for diving and fitness tracking?

I use it all the time for fitness tracking but I haven’t been diving with it yet. I took a look online and according to a Harvard Medical School source, scuba diving is at the same energy level as tennis or stationary bike, which seems high to me:

Also, looking online briefly, the question of heart rate tracking during dives seems to be open. Generally, it appears that HR tracking is off during dives, but I also saw claims that if you start a workout, then HR is tracked. I’m looking forward to more definitive information on that.

Apple docs say sensors are turned off when submerged. Will try and find the reference to that later.

I’ve seen that too. There are also people saying you can get around that if you manually initiate one of the conventional workouts. It would be great to nail that down. Of course, a wetsuit/drysuit can make all of that moot.

Found this looking for heart rate info- I think it’s the best AWU/Oceanic review I’ve seen. Not super-polished, but covers positives & negatives. He’s not a fan of subscriptions or depth limits. He did make a mistake, with “charging overnight“ – AWU charges from 0 to 80% in an hour, and you rarely start from 0%.

He has the only right answer to “Do you recommend it?“ — “It depends.”

The email I got this morning and the product page on the App Store both say:
  • Quick install of our Watch face with all the app complications for easy access to all features, including no-fly time and surface time information.

How does one do a "quick install" of their Watch face? I'm using Wayfinder now which seems fine, but I'm a bit curious to see their Watch face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom