Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't go opening yours just yet.

My guess is that Apple will invalidate the warranty if there's 3rd party service. Makes sense from their perspective, considering safety issues.

I think PADI and SSI use 120, and NAUI uses 130.

PADI & SSI are also 130. PADI chart:

scuba-depths.jpg

Their 130' rec diving limit is not "arbitrary," and I'd say Apple's legal department is a better judge of legal exposure than either of us.
144’ is arbitrary. I have no issue with how they handle excursions beyond 130’. My issue is with how they handle excursions beyond 144’. 144’ is still within the depth rating of the AWU, Buhlmann works just fine past 144’.

144’ is arbitrary.

Except that's not an Apple spec. 130' is the only official max spec.

144’ is still within the depth rating of the AWU…

No it's not. That's an empirical & unofficial figure from 3rd parties.

Buhlmann works just fine past 144’.

On the AWU? Who told you that? According to even the empirical numbers, >144' = lockout. Or do you mean in dives generally?

I'm putting my money on:

"3-trillion dollar international tech icon doesn't want to get blamed for the guy who just picked up his PADI "Deep Diver" cert.

STILL waiting for a SPECIFIC answer (I used the term "exactly" in the original post *) on this:

What exactly is it that you think they would get blamed for, if their dive computer worked all the time?

So. It's a de facto spec.

Apple's spec is diving to 40m. ISO 22810 (from Apple's specs page) requires that the device marked for divers has to be tested at 125% of the marked rating. So, it still has to be tested to 162.5'. Therefore, 144' clearly IS within the depth rating.

On the AWU? Who told you that? According to even the empirical numbers, >144' = lockout. Or do you mean in dives generally?

He said Buhlmann works just fine. He didn't say the AWU works just fine.*

* Comprehension IS fundamental.

Annnd... I'm outta this. Have a good weekend, everyone. @kimh, tell everyone at the Apple Friends bar we said hey! :)

That’s the point where the AWU stops recording depth. It’s an arbitrary limit.
Maybe you should tell Apple. They list 100M in the specs. 100M>144’

They list 100M as the depth rating of the hardware. That was my point.
I never said on the AWU. I said Buhlmann works past 144’. Apart from the Oceanic+ implementation on the AWU, the algorithm has no problem with those depths. I would also imagine that Oceanic+ implementation of Buhlmann would work past 144’, IF Apple would allow the depth to be read by the app.

I am exactly the target customer type for this product and I think the AWU is a meme.

"STILL waiting for a SPECIFIC answer."

Ever heard of user error?

"…the device marked for divers has to be tested at 125% of the marked rating. So, it still has to be tested to 162.5'. Therefore, 144' clearly IS within the depth rating."

Hardware depth rating is 100m. Pay attention.

"Annnd... I'm outta this. Have a good weekend, everyone."

Promises, promises…

"Maybe you should tell Apple. They list 100M in the specs. 100M>144’"

The issue here is limited DC functionality depth, not hardware depth. Pay attention.

"No offense but the target customer does not post on scubaboard."

Thank you…

You have to remember that people who hang out online in diving forums are self-selected away from typical, recreational diving attitudes. An average rec diver would just shrug at SB debates, & go back to Facebook.

Ever heard of user error?
I don’t believe that even comes close to answering the question.

What is it you think Apple would get blamed for? If you say it’s “User error”, how is that solved by turning off DC functionality at depth?
The issue here is limited DC functionality depth, not hardware depth. Pay attention.
I was referring to the depth rating of the AWU. That is the perplexing part. The arbitrary limit (point where DC stops being a DC) is well inside of both the hardware rating and the limits of the algorithm. This limit makes no sense.

I looked for successful lawsuits against dive computer manufacturers. I did not find any where user error was listed as the reason. Instead, I found most were regarding Suunto faulty depth sensors. Then there is also the old Uwatec case, which was a software problem. I did not find any cases where a dive computer was functioning properly, the diver ignored it, and successfully sued the manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom