Apple Watch Ultra — what dive software is in the works?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget that Oceanic already had a mature, existing codebase.

I think there might be less pressure on Oceanic to recoup development costs than some of us are assuming. Looks like they got a favorable deal for the launch, and they were already in the dive computer/software biz- they already had mature, existing code, and years of experience with manufacturing & hardware integration.

LOLOL!!!

What "mature, existing codebase" did Oceanic have that they were able to leverage this project?

What other products did they already have that offered a user interface remotely like their app on iOS does? (none?)

What other mobile device app(s) did they already have? (none?)

What other products did they already have that offered the Buhlmann ZHL-16C/Gradient Factors algorithm? (none?)

Did they actually have ANY code of their own for performing decompression algorithm calculations of any type? Or did they get/use code for deco modeling under license from Pelagic Pressure Systems (owned by Aqualung, I think)?

It's just my speculation, but I doubt they had a single line of code that got re-used from any previous project in their iOS app. I further am a bit skeptical than any developer from their projects for their existing dive computers (e.g. Geo, Geo Air, etc.) was on the team that developed the iOS app.

As someone who used to use an Oceanic Atom 3.0 dive computer and the related Oceanic desktop software for Windows, my opinion is that Oceanic has zero track record of delivering high quality application software or even high quality dive computer user interfaces.

Don't get me wrong. I am fan of their dive computers. I would still recommend a Geo or Geo Air to some divers, with specific use-cases. But, that is in spite of their dive computer UI being, ummm, "not the best". The dive computers do WORK, though, and are a good value. And I like the DSAT algorithm that they offer, for recreational/sport diving.

I think someone at Apple sold some product manager at Oceanic a bill of goods on how great it would be for Oceanic if they would just develop a dive app to run on the AWU. I suspect Oceanic will eventually rue the day they decided to get on the AWU train.

If they had produced a really stellar and bug-free iOS app, then that would be different. But, they didn't. And, based on my experience of 40 years writing software for a living, including starting 2 software companies of my own, and my experience with Oceanic hardware and software over the last 9 years, I suspect that Oceanic simply did not have the corporate capability to do so.

Fortunately, I suspect that their development cost for the iOS app was relatively small (compared to their overall corporate budget). However, the app being tied to their new iPhone dive housing may completely skew that analysis. And did I mention that I got one of those new dive housings and I am returning it?

I suspect Oceanic is really struggling to continue to exist and getting in bed with Apple was a desperate attempt to find a new revenue stream. Downward price pressure from dive computers like the Garmin Descent G1 and the Shearwater Peregrine and now the Tern series is undoubtedly really hurting Oceanic's dive computer business unit. And I don't see things getting better for them.

Not sure about Oceanic's various revenue streams but the Ultra is by far the most common computer spotted on the dive boats I have been on recently. One boat I was on had 100% AWU market share. These were all rec divers.

"the Ultra is by far the most common computer spotted on the dive boats I have been on recently. One boat I was on had 100% AWU market share. These were all rec divers."

It sounds odd, but my guess is that AWU will soon be the most popular DC in the world, due to Apple's crazy sales volumes. Not the most popular brand, but the most popular model. Eventually, the most popular brand, too. Apple already sells the world's most popular watch, and the world's most popular camera. There's a trend in evidence here…

My sense is that Apple was not 100% confident in their watch hardware to act as a dive computer, so they only got one company to write an app. That way, if things went wrong, they would be able to limit the damage quickly. Once they feel more comfortable with their hardware, I am sure they will open the API to more developers.

As for the Oceanic, I researched a while back and it appears that they hired a single developer to convert the app software. I originally developed my app for the Arduino using C++. Apple uses the Swift programming language, which is very different. I basically had to start over. Many of the subroutines converted easily, but it took me several months. My guess is that Oceanic had a similar experience.

I've used the Oceanic app on the AWU, and was not happy with it. My app will take dive computers to the next level. Once Apple opens the API, I think you will see rapid evolution of the scuba diving computer.

My sense is that Apple was not 100% confident in their watch hardware to act as a dive computer, so they only got one company to write an app. That way, if things went wrong, they would be able to limit the damage quickly. Once they feel more comfortable with their hardware, I am sure they will open the API to more developers.

As for the Oceanic, I researched a while back and it appears that they hired a single developer to convert the app software.

Convert the app software from WHAT?

So this is great, folks that know nothing about decompression algorithms will have their choice of several algorithms that they don't understand,

So this is great, folks that know nothing about decompression algorithms will have their choice of several algorithms that they don't understand,
Not as of now. No indication that'll change in the future.

We can complain then, and kimh will tell us why it's a great idea.

[Sarcasm] No worries. There will be a user review and rating system to guide users to make the best choices.

1* “ I did a 20 minute dive on air at a reef in 100’. Stupid app wanted me to stop on the way up. Sorry, but I only have 200 psi left. I’m not stopping. Would not recommend.” [\Sarcasm]

Prediction: AWU3 Dive app will require integration with new iBends BCD inflator. If a dive exceeds 130’, a warning will be issued that the TOS have been violated. Ignoring the warning will cause the iBends to initiate emergency protocol. Emergency protocol inflates the BCD to get the user to the surface immediately. TOS violation triggers bricking of AWU device.

As for the Oceanic, I researched a while back and it appears that they hired a single developer to convert the app software. I originally developed my app for the Arduino using C++. Apple uses the Swift programming language, which is very different. I basically had to start over. Many of the subroutines converted easily, but it took me several months. My guess is that Oceanic had a similar experience.

One of my early tech gigs involved redesigning a desktop app for a new Apple handheld platform. With a new, user-friendly Apple development environment & language (sound familiar?) – Newton OS & NewtonScript. Also took months. One dev ported the main logic. Some interesting parallels with porting to iOS/watchOS & Swift/SwiftUI today. Apple was very helpful – being Apple-blessed is a big deal. Tog even stopped by to advise. Also had a chance to talk with Steve Capps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom