Apple Watch Ultra — what dive software is in the works?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It was you who wrote subscription model is unpopular"

Nope. What I really said was:

"the subscription model is not super-popular here"

"here" as in scubaboard.com. Then, I added:

"it's useful to remember that the larger casual/rec diving market is not the same thing" [as scubaboard.com]

Also- even here, we don't really know how (un) popular the subscriptions are, considering that people who don't mind them are probably less likely to post.

"It’s not rational to claim it’s better value unless you have some unmeasurable emotional value out of it. It is not an opinion, it’s a fact that you can use a cheap computer for 20 years but your subscription will turn into nothing in a year."

Have you ever rented anything?

I dislike SaaS for a couple of reasons. One is the yelling at clouds phenomenon ("in my day, you could hold onto to something real!"), The other is I've been burned by a few providers.

If I were a rental only diver, I could definitely see the benefit of utilizing something I already own as the host of a SaaS rental. As long as I don't get burned ("our rates changed recently, please update your payment {$50} and enjoy your dive!).

I dislike SaaS for a couple of reasons.

I can’t imagine a lifetime license for Oceanic+ costing less than $200. (sophisticated sw with life/death responsibility)

Unfortunately, I’m not diving much currently. Also, I don’t do deco (yet). I wouldn’t spend $200+ just out of curiosity here. But with the subscription model, I have a functional DC on my wrist at all times, to explore. Works for me.

Many (most?) divers don’t even need a $79 annual subscription. A month is $9.99. Let’s say you don’t live around good dive areas & your diving is split into 3 trips per year. Then, you pay $29.97 annually for 3 months of diving on your own schedule. You could pay that much for a couple days of DC rental.

No upfront cost/pay-as-you-go does have its advantages for many.

Nope. What I really said was:

"here" as in scubaboard.com. Then, I added:

Also- even here, we don't really know how (un) popular the subscriptions are, considering that people who don't mind them are probably less likely to post.

Have you ever rented anything?
This whole conversation is taking place because you do not want to admit you can buy a computer that is sufficient for a casual rec diver for a years subscription. Lets fix that first.

Or, we could move on from the very boring discussion of subscription vs purchase.

you do not want to admit you can buy a computer that is sufficient for a casual rec diver for a years subscription…

…if you're willing to trawl eBay for strangers selling used, entry-level DCs. Sounds like a plan!

Re: subscriptions, something useful that I'd never heard about until I DLed Oceanic – there's a one-time, $0.99 option for one day of dives. You get ongoing access to all subscription-level features, with no expiration, through the first actual dive day. Handy for kicking the tires. Yes, subscriptions do have some advantages. :wink:

I am a professional developer and I would like to create a watchOS dive app. Has anybody successfully gotten the CMWaterSubmersionManager permission?

I am a professional developer and I would like to create a watchOS dive app. Has anybody successfully gotten the CMWaterSubmersionManager permission?

I haven't seen much info on this. Please keep us posted, though. This might be of interest:

>> Apple Developer Forums Search: "CMWaterSubmersionManager"

Also- interesting quote in a TechCrunch article from November:

>> "Sources within Apple suggest that other app developers will be given access to the depth sensors later this year"

Looks like they're behind schedule. Not a big shock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom