Apple Watch Ultra — what dive software is in the works?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"What 'mature, existing codebase' did Oceanic have that they were able to leverage this project? …What other products did they already have that offered a user interface remotely like their app on iOS does?"

"Existing” ≠ "matching." Oceanic started selling DCs in 1989. That’s over 30 years of Oceanic DC code. As a software guy, surely you understand the difference between backend logic & UI?

Or maybe not.

Lest we forget…

IMG_5711.jpeg

"Existing” ≠ "matching." Oceanic started selling DCs in 1989. That’s over 30 years of Oceanic DC code. As a software guy, surely you understand the difference between backend logic & UI?

Or maybe not.
Just type into ChatGPT: "create the code for a dive computer that's compatible with Apple Watch"

That should do it.

Wonder what language and compilers their existing watch code uses. Won't be anything like Apple IDEs. It would mean a complete new code base, plus all the new-fangled subscription model to ensure it stops working at midnight: wonder if they'll give you 5 mins of grace to get out of the water on that night dive.

Wonder what language and compilers [Oceanic’s?] existing watch code uses.

I’d guess something along these lines:

It would mean a complete new code base.
New code, yes- but their deep <ahem> experience in creating DC code gives them a big head start on the logic & subject matter sides. And it may not be too long before AI can do some of the heavy lifting in software ports.

New code, yes- but their deep <ahem> experience in creating DC code gives them a big head start on the logic & subject matter sides. And it may not be too long before AI can do some of the heavy lifting in software ports.

You mean their deep experience in getting code and a license for a totally different algorithm from PPS?

@stuartv Algorithm-specific code is not the only code. I'd love to see some block diagrams, and some of the math involved. I'm wondering how much modularity is possible, and how that changes for different algorithms & OS architectures. I haven't worked with embedded systems, so that could be interesting. Seems to me that having experience with switching out algorithms would be useful for a DC vendor. And I wonder how much development is done in-house over the longer term.

Just checking in here again. Does anybody know if devs other than oceanic have been granted access to these API's yet?

Does anybody know if devs other than oceanic have been granted access to these API's yet?

I haven’t heard anything, which makes me think nothing public has happened. Searching for CMWaterSubmersionManager doesn’t come up with much, which is probably not a good sign. Maybe things are happening behind the curtain.

After expressing interest in the submersion entitlement and hearing nothing, I followed up with Apple Development. They referred my request to the "internal team". I received a request from Apple last week for more information. It's a lengthy web form asking many questions about my development process and what I plan to do with the app. I assume it went out to everybody who expressed interest. Based on the questions, it seems they are likely choosing candidates for another round of entitlements.

In the meantime, they have publicly released the Shallow Depth and Pressure entitlement, which allows you to go down to 6 meters (for snorkeling?). It's enough at least to access submersion data and test my app's capabilities with the watch hardware, but obviously not enough for full recreational scuba diving.

Based on the questions, it seems they are likely choosing candidates for another round of entitlements.

Not surprised that they’re moving at a - umm - “deliberate” pace. I hope you can check in here from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom