Apple Watch Ultra and Oceanic+ App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does one do a "quick install" of their Watch face? I'm using Wayfinder now which seems fine, but I'm a bit curious to see their Watch face.

I don't believe they actually have their own "watch face." I think they're just confused about Apple Watch nomenclature. It would be cool if I were wrong, though.

They *do* have a number of watch face complications, which I've taken a look at, and they seem to work- on Wayfinder, which is where I tried them.

oceanic.PNG

On the watch go to Oceanic+ app, settings, Install Watch Face

Aha- settings on the Apple Watch, not iPhone.

It's not really "their" watch face. It's just a custom Wayfinder configuration. You can share those since watchOS 7:

Share Apple Watch faces

On the watch go to Oceanic+ app, settings, Install Watch Face

Thank you. I never would have found that on my own.

It's not really "their" watch face. It's just a custom Wayfinder configuration. You can share those since watchOS 7:

Right. That's pretty much the way I had Wayfinder set up anyway.

Right. That's pretty much the way I had Wayfinder set up anyway.

Developers can define complications in multiple sizes & I was a bit disappointed that Oceanic didn’t create a large-size complication in addition to the smaller ones. You can really show a lot, in a large complication (see below- two large complications, stacked vertically). My guess is that they'll add that later on.

IMG_3611.jpeg

Also, I’ve heard you can burn 400-600 calories per hour diving. Obviously will vary based on the dive.

That seems very high to me unless you're doing an awful lot of swimming. I just looked at a recent bicycle ride: 34K with a total riding time of 1:44, average heart rate of 119 BPM and only 665 active calories. (This was a casual ride, not a workout.)

By the same token, on a day that I did three 50 minute dives from a live aboard I got credited with 1260 active calories. And I hardly swim at all. (It's not a lap pool, right?) I wore the watch over a Sharkskin rash guard, so I know heart rate wasn't being measured.

I'm glad the watch gives you some workout credit for diving, but I'd like to know how the active calories are being calculated.

That seems very high to me unless you're doing an awful lot of swimming. I just looked at a recent bicycle ride: 34K with a total riding time of 1:44, average heart rate of 119 BPM and only 665 active calories. (This was a casual ride, not a workout.)
The 400-600 was what I heard from a dive shop trivia. My actual results vary somewhat. I’ve got some hour+ dives that are in the 200 calorie range, I’ve also got some much higher. I just did two dives today. Both were between 30 and 40 minutes. 295 calories on one, 425 on another. Spearfishing, so lots of swimming.

This is according to my Garmin which actually does keep the heart rate monitor on.

I feel like the estimates from my AW are pretty close when diving, just judging from how worn out I am and how much I eat later. Water that is cooler than body temperature burns calories and so does getting all your gear in and out of the water, and then rinsing it after the dive. So for me that total effort does seem to tie up closely to the number the watch awards me.

I feel like the estimates from my AW are pretty close when diving, just judging from how worn out I am and how much I eat later. Water that is cooler than body temperature burns calories and so does getting all your gear in and out of the water…

When I first saw the high scuba calorie figures, I was skeptical- but then I started to think about factors like these, and about additional sources citing high calorie use.

I imagine there's a lot of core muscle involvement divers have, too- managing form & orientation in the water. Not even conscious, but still a steady energy requirement. And the distraction of cool stuff underwater. Not like a treadmill, thinking about which exercise zone you're in.

Of course, if you're one of the cool kids- drysuit/rebreather, motionless in neutral trim, hands clasped in front of you… Well- better get back on the treadmill, post-dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom