Appreciation of DAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riverwood

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My buddy and I had just finished our 4th dive in Coz. She is a very careful diver, watching her computer the whole trip and especially the ascent. A few hours after a dive, she had an "itchy" stomach which also looked like it had a rash. Then she noticed some visual disturbances (squiggly things that floated across her eyes) for about 45 min. With that addition, we decided to call DAN. The staff had Dr. Gomez call her right back and her orchestrated for a paramedic (Julio) to drive us the 5 min to the Clinic for an evaluation. She had the "skin bends" which show up in the fatty tissue in the abdomen. The visual disturbance indicated a neurological involvement.

I can't say enough great things about the professional and supportive way the DAN and the hyperbaric chamber staff treated my buddy and I. She ended up with three treatments over three days. (six hours, two hours, two hours). Dr. Gomez and Dr. Pavola, Julio and the chamber staff listened to her concerns and gave her detailed information. She seems fine and will follow up with DAN.

My friend had personal health insurance and trip insurance and I do not think she will pay anything for her treatment. She was also covered to stay an additional two days at the hotel through DAN. If you are not a DAN member, I highly suggest you join (for under $100 a year I think, vs. thousands of $$ for the Chamber). You will get professional and expedient care. Thanks, DAN!

I just joined this weekend at BTS. Opted for the highest insurance package they offered. I hope I never need them but it's nice to know they are there if I should.

Couldn't agree more, I won't travel without DAN insurance.

When my wife and I were in the Bahamas, a gentleman on our boat decided he needed to chase sharks during a wall dive. He went very deep and then went very quickly to the surface. Twice. Extreme DCS once on the boat. He was off to the chamber but did not have insurance. In the end, it was a very expensive lesson he had to learn. We all learned from that too and I'll never be without again...

A friend of mine broke her arm getting back on a dive boat in Moorea. Not only did DAN cover the expenses involved (including the wetsuit that was destroyed when it was cut off her) but they were enormously helpful in arranging medevac to Papeete for x-rays, and flights home. If I ever had any doubts about whether my DAN insurance is worth it, they were gone after watching that.

I just gad sinus surgery and had to run around like mad correcting errors in documentation and getting the doctors to coordinate paperwork properly myself.

You don't even get the service DAN has been described as providing here in the real professional world with in network doctors, and DAN does it smoothly with out of network foreign doctors and hospitals.

HATS OFF TO DAN!!!!

Riverwood, thanks for the detailed post. Very glad to hear things went well. I've always found DAN to be Johnny-on-the-spot.

Best wishes to your buddy for a full recovery and a safe return to diving!

-Bryan

If you are not a DAN member, I highly suggest you join (for under $100 a year I think, vs. thousands of $$ for the Chamber). You will get professional and expedient care. Thanks, DAN!

Don't run anyone off!! $25 a year.

If you are not a DAN member, I highly suggest you join (for under $100 a year I think, vs. thousands of $$ for the Chamber). You will get professional and expedient care. Thanks, DAN!

Don't run anyone off!! $25 a year.

$25 a year would be only membership. bluebubble is more accurate when you include the dive medical insurance that covers chamber rides. Still worth it though, since costs into the high four figures aren't unusual.

We have had DAN family coverage for 4 years now but thankfully never had to use it:). With all the money and time we all invested in diving this is a small cost but the ROI is huge if ever needed and shouldn't be overlooked.

Unless you dive in your backyard pool get it, think of it as an extended warranty- nobody wants to buy it except after the reg warranty is over and your computer just crashed!:shocked2:

Also DAN has a great magazine very informative not just pretty pictures.

I agree.
I had a similar incident in 2004, and DAN, and the DAN insurance were great.
I recommend never diving without both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom