Aqua Lung i300 for deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you can use the i300 for recreational dives on deco. I briefly went through the manual. Whatever gas you select at the beginning of your dive will be the gas you make all your deco stops with.

For serious technical diving requiring planned deco stops what others have said above applies. A computer suitable for technical diving has these features to name just a few: (1) you can set multiple gasses and switch between gasses during the dive. Switching to a high O2 gas will accelerate deco. (2) you can set gradient factors or other conservative dive factors to make the dive more or less conservative tailoring the algorithm to the diver and the dive. The problem with many recreational computers is that the default settings are too conservative extending deco stop times beyond what's needed. (3) the algorithms used are generally non-proprietary (Buhlmann and VPM-B). Allowing divers to see and understand how the algorithms work leads to safer use when the conservative factors are adjusted.

Last edited:
@stuartv contact DAN, they've got all the information you'd like. Plenty of examples of "undeserved" hits where divers were following what their computer told them right into the chamber.

Again, purchasing a recreational computer with the intention of using it's computational capabilities to do decompression dives is a bad idea.

If you mean that the i300 will get you out of an unexpected situation where you incurred -few- minutes of "required decompression stop," then this computer will do it (not an extended technical multi-gas type of a dive). If you mean you are going to be doing a technical dive with multi-gas mixtures and extended decompression stops, then this computer isn't made for this purpose and it won't be safe or capable of doing it and you will need to look at taking the appropriate training and the appropriate computer(s) for this type of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom