Aqua-Master & Sportsways Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman found your link re "Clips" Hope its OK to post here

John REMOVAL TOOL.jpgREMOVAL TOOL.JPG1.jpg

Headed to harbor Freight to get some Nips!

Just ordered new hoses, curved mouth piece, improved wagon wheels, Duckbill Eliminator, nylon hose clamps, and a band clamp ring.

The end cutters/knips I use are like small pliers, used for cutting wire. I grab the sides of the box clips as close to the can edges as possible and then with a good grip, rotate the clip down towards the top and away from the cans. I do not particularly like the vice grip type tool for this.

If you see metal bending, please stop and review what you are doing. That is a nice regulator and you do not want to ruin the cans. I doubt you will have any issue getting them off.

Nice finds, welcome to the dark side. It can be addicting.

N

Nice finds, welcome to the dark side. It can be addicting.

N

Thanks Nemrod.

The gentleman I bought it from had the whole thing assembled on a LP72 (last VIP was '91) with a Sportsways tank valve. I didn't want to deal with the tank (hope I didn't screw up), so I made him an offer for the reg and backplate.

Thanks for posting that John, after 15 years on this board and 6 or so on VDH I forget what I posted were. If you have the complete link, add it.

Reef Wrecker, don't worry about sending it to Bryan in that condition, believe me he gets much worse and he has the experience to deal with the more difficult cases. Better let him deal with them than damage the reg, that said, nothing wrong with learning to DIY. Be sure to get the end cutting nippers like is show, the side cutters do not work well and get a larger size, the cutter size must be such that you can comfortably grip the entire clip and still old the cutter in your hand, small ones just don't work well. I found my pair at Lowes.

By the way, I posted a thread on VDH a while back on how to properly align the hoses and mouthpiece, it is worth looking up. It's easy but done wrong is a real pain in the mouth.

Thanks again everyone.

Signed up on VDH as "Dave2".

Then...

Figured out the trick to the clips after the first or second clip.

and...

I was surprised how clean the inside was.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2015 at 06:43 PM ----------

Do they normally look this clean on the inside?

Original owner said it had never been in salt water. I think I believe him.

Happy to help, see you on VDH

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2015 at 06:54 AM ----------

Ok Dave, here are another couple tips for you now that I see the inside. That is a very clean reg inside, I have seen some that nice but most that look that good have never saw saltwater, I suspect that one hasn't. The reg appears to be factory original.
If you look at the brass nut on the LP stem you will see 2 stake marks- dents in the metal. The factory use to do this to keep the nut in place. It often times did an excellent job of doing so, problem is it is VERY easy to break the stem top off when you try to remove the nut. That use to be a death sentence for the reg since the part was not available. Bryan now has reproductions if you stay original and the HPR replaces it so no loss there, still I try to save them if I can. If you are sending it to Bryan, I suggest you not try to remove it, if not then I can give you suggestions on how to hopefully remove it in tact....although it is pretty common for the threads to be badly damaged.
They are a odd ball size of 5-40 (NOT 4-40) so most people don't have the correct die to clean them up. When I restore these regs I use a drop of fingernail polish to lock the nut in place. The HPR uses a nylon lock nut but the stem on the OEM ones are not long enough to use them.

The next thing I see is the horseshoe lever supports have been bent. Again, something done at the factory but I don't know of anyone that does that now. The stand offs are the one part besides the main body that are NOT being reproduced and were also a death sentence for the reg if you broke one. The good news is they are fairly easy to bend back into shape (I have yet to break one) and again, the HPR does not require them so they are no longer a death sentence for the reg. If you decide to remove the lever, carefully bend them straight and leave them that way.
Really nice looking reg inside and welcome to VDH.

Last edited:
Happy to help, see you on VDH...
....Really nice looking reg inside and welcome to VDH.

Thanks again Herman. Just mailed off the DA AM to Bryan today.

Dave

UPDATE!

Just got the DAAM back from VDH. After running the numbers on what I wanted out of the reg, the Phoenix wasn't that far out of my price range.

The Phoenix is a beast:

Besides the overhaul, I also got the HPR 2nd stage, new main diaphragm, and the SPG hose adapter.

Can't wait to get it wet.

Backplate is also ready to dive. I had to make a j-rod holder for the metal band (also have to make one for 2" cam bands):

The guys over at VDH forums are all class. Very helpful and knowledgeable.

Thanks again to Herman who was so helpful and Bryan for the excellent service and product offering(thanks for not discontinuing the Phoenix).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom