Aqualung Legend LX vs. ScubaPro MK25/A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well now that we have digressed from the Aqualung v. ScubaPro query posed by the OP to a Hog, Atomic melee, why not open the floodgates to allow entry of any off-topic regulator? Poseidon, Sherwood, La Spirotechnique, Mares, Cressi, Apeks, Beuchat, Dive Rite, hey the barn door is open, why not even suggest some of the discontinued brands such as Healthways, Voit, US Divers, Dacor......

The OP specifically asked a question concerning opinions on only TWO regulators: The Aqualung Legend LX and the ScubaPro Mk25/A700. IMO both are excellent warm water regulators that surpass the needs of the recreational diver (130 ft maximum depth). You can't go wrong with either regulator. The A700 will be less prone to giving you "cotton mouth" as it is a metal second stage, neither regulator should be purchased solely because of the "free parts for life" gimmick, as others have pointed out, because of the required annual service intervals and/or purchasing of other equipment for eligibility is a means of having you pay for the "free". Get ahold of both regulators (hopefully side by side at a LDS who distributes both brands) and go with the reg that you like best in terms of features and style. Both brands are serviced world-wide, both have reputations as being "bulletproof" and both are benchmark standards for others in the industry. You can't go wrong with either.

If as you mentioned in your addendum, you are a cold water diver, then consider the Supreme version of the Legend and the Mk17 version of the ScubaPro as these are the environmentally sealed first stages needed in order to dive in water below 10 degrees Celcius.

AFAIK all legends have sealed 1st stages, the supreme has a silly "lip shield", cant imagine how much difference that would make and the ip is set lower from factory.

As others have said you won't go wrong with either and I doubt you could tell he difference in a blind test. As USdiver1 has posted the MK17 1st stage would be better than the MK25 if you dive cold water. Good luck.

I had a chance to demo an Aqualung Legend LX last year and thought it was a great regulator.
It was a bit lighter and a bit more compact than my G250V and seemed to breathe every bit as well.
My G250V is paired with the MK17 first stage which I would say is a tough first stage to beat. Not ready
to trade in my MK17/G250V but have to say Aqualung Legend would be something that would be considered
as well if I was buying for the first time.

I've got the Legend Supreme and it's a good, hassle-free reg. Bullet proof wouldn't be a bad term for it. Have dived it in 2C never any indication of free flow.

That said, if I was buying now, I'd probably go for the SPs, simply cos the A700 is ****ing sexy :)

The Scubapro MK25/A700 is a superior reg system. You can get it in DIN or Yoke. It is truely a work of art!
mk25-a700-din.jpg

You can take advantage of the Free Dive Computer Deal ( $425 Value ) and get Free parts for life or just opt for a Free Tech Reg. Bag.

The new Atomic T3 has a three year service interval :)

Yeah but it's gonna cost more than the T2X wich is already $1500!

But between the 2 I'd go legend. Not that SP is bad, I just don't like piston regs. If it was between the legend and MK17 it would be a tough call.

I think the Legend is overpriced... YMMV

I'm seeing a MK25/A700 in my very near future :)

No question: The Titan. Between US Divers/Aqua-Lung and ScubaPro, I'll go with Aqua-Lung every time.

You will not regret :) If you can find a balanced adjustable in a very good condition you will not see any difference though and will save a lot of money.

I had a chance to get an A700 at a very good price and my wife's benefits paid half of it so I went to get one. But if I was paying my hard earned money cash I would go with a used BA (156).

But A700 is an awesome reg.

I'm seeing a MK25/A700 in my very near future :)

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2013 at 12:02 AM ----------

But you would have to agree that in terms of case type A700 would compete better with a metal conshelf rather than a plastic titan :)

No question: The Titan. Between US Divers/Aqua-Lung and ScubaPro, I'll go with Aqua-Lung every time.

Back
Top Bottom