Aqualung Mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divereh,

Where can I find more information on this? I did a google and yahoo search and came up empty.

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Ltstanfo:
Nemrod,

Thanks for the photo. Quite interesting but I've never seen / heard of it before now. Is this an aftermarket rebuild of the Royal? Who does it and what is the process for upgrading an existing Royal?

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

This is a project started by Luis H(he posted earlier) that aims to replace the standard Royal or DA Aquamaster nozzle with a new one that has both HP and LP ports. This enables the use of the Conshelf/Titan family of parts, along with the use of things like lp inflator hoses and octos, and the use of multiple HP ports(air integrated computers along with manual spgs for example). They are not currently in production, still being in the testing stage. Nemrod happens to be one of the lucky few who got a test unit. You can find more information on the VDH website(www.vintagedoublehose.com). There is also a thread which includes pics under the Seahunt Era section of scubaboard.

Ltstanfo:
The "pros" -
1. breathes easier then any double hose (including the Royal) I've ever used.
2. You have 1HP and 3 available LP ports for extra items. With a Royal, unless you have one of the extremely rare banjo fittings, you cannot add anything.
3. Uses modern parts (Aqualung Titan 1st stage) so servicing and parts is readily available.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

If your Royal Aqua Master is not breathing at least as good as the new Mistral, may I recommend sending it for an overhaul to Bryan at VintageDoubleHose.com or Dan at VintageScubaSupply.com. These regulators are rugged, but after 35 years or more they need servicing and some of the tuning techniques we are using help exceed the original performance. You well intentioned long time LDS regulator mechanic may not be keeping up with some of the improvements we are doing in the vintage community.

If you need a banjo fitting they are available at VintageScubaSupply.com and more are coming. We also have adapters to convert the hookah port into LP ports.

The new Mistral uses a Titan first stage which is basically the same as the Conshelf and they both are using the same internal components as the venerable Royal Aqua Master. Therefore, internal parts are available for all of the above.

The new Mistral breathes very well. The diver still has to compensate for the diaphragm position (with tank position and changing from a pure horizontal position when doing hard work, etc).

I tried the new Mistral and it does breathe as well as any of my well tuned Royals, but not really better. There is not a lot of room for improvements, but there is some. We are working on it.

Aqua Lung basically put together a double hose regulator from single hose regulator “of the shelf” parts (and re-breather hoses, that is why they are so buoyant). IMHO it is a noble approach. It has an interesting “junk yard experiment” kind of look to it. IMO the price is it major problem. It is a specialty regulator. I like it, but could never justify the MSRP.

About the Phoenix

Here are some links to the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master.
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261&start=165
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=952&start=45
http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1130172999&page=7

You will have to go to the vintage web sites for more info, etc.

The Phoenix is an after marked first stage body, but it uses all the same internal parts as the Royal, the Conshelf, and the Titan, etc. It also uses the replaceable volcano orifice of the Titan and it adds LP and HP ports. It is ideal for converting a DA Aqua Master to a modern configuration and have available parts for many years into the future. You can also use it with a Royal to easily add ports and a yoke capable of high pressure use. The modification is totally reversible if it desired to revert to its historical configuration.

Here are a couple of pictures:

DSCN3163.jpg

DSCN3165.jpg

Yes, it is true, I, Nemrod, have one of the production test units of the Phoenix. There were only a few made for the purpose of field testing the production configuration. Luis, the design engineer and concept originator has been diving a pre-production prototype for some time now and I think one other pre production unit is being dived by another person in addition to these production prototypes. This is a serious project for these fellows and of course it takes time (and money) to get something like this into actual production and still be cost effective.

Here is one example of how things take time to make right. Over the two decade production of DA and RAM type regulators the tolerences at USD varied considerably--even unit to unit. The new nozzle must thread into the the old bodies (unitl some body else undertakes a new body---lol) and of the four Aqua Masters I have the new nozzle fits three perfect and one it is very tight but acceptable. So, this leads me to believe there could be some it might be unacceptably tight in. The engineer is evaluating this information for possible adjustments. Imagine the dissappointment if you bought one and it did not fit. Thus the additional time to field test production units. The best place right now to keep abreast is the forum at VDH. I do not wish to speak out of place so correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that will be the conduit through which the nozzles will be offered when the time comes that they are available.

Luis above is demonstrating his Phoenix with a nice back inflate jacket style BC. I have been testing mine mostly with a "tech" type, Hogartian inspired BP/wing system. Oh, I think Luis has dived his with a drysuit as well and the several other testers are also, uh, testing, lol.

This is pure speculation on my part but there could be a time in the future where a fellow will be able to build a super performance double hose regulator from improved reproduction parts entirely. This has never been a stated goal of any person but it could happen. Here is an example, new silicone main diaphrams are coming our way--soon--can you imagine the jump in performance new, soft, flexible, springy, high quality silicone diaphrams will make when they replace those 30 year old ones we lovingly rub with silicone and dust with talc!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, yeah, yaaaaaaahooooooooo. It is Back to the Future and the future is double hose diving!!!!!!!! N

nemrod you almost sound excited about all this,are plastic regs on the way out? these look like very nice units,sign me up for one. i have been getting the itch for a double hose reg,never got to dive one and would like to try one out.

I am also test diving one of the Pheonix conversion nozzles installed in my DA Aquamaster. As Nemrod pointed out there are some thread specification issues as mine was tight to thread into the body. Hopefully these issues will be resolved shortly and production can begin.

"nemrod you almost sound excited about all this,are plastic regs on the way out? these look like very nice units,sign me up for one. i have been getting the itch for a double hose reg,never got to dive one and would like to try one out."

Well, of course I am excited about this. I am a vintage equipment diver but I (we) also live in a modern world were dive boats and resorts and other people require you to have modern devices, computers, BCs, inflators plus I want a dry suit so yes, this allows me and hopefully many others soon to dive in full compliance. I just bought an AL Legend (mostly for my wife) and it is all plastic, breaths good though but it just does not give me that "something" I cannot put my finger on like a double hose does.

The first time I met Luis in person I knew that this was a man with a mission, he was excited about his idea and it has grown to include LP ports and replaceable orifice etc. That was just about one year ago and now we see some out for testing.

Further, this nozzle will convert the more common (and read as cheaper) DA Aqua Master to Royal Aqua Master standards or better. There is no need to wait for the Phoenix, get a good DA or Royal (that will cost ya) and have it rebuilt at VDH or VSS and get on with it.

No, I don't think plastic regulators will be going away. In fact, if there is a Generation II of double hose boxes (the pie pan looking parts) don't be surprised if they are composite or plastic. The body and nozzles would still be metal but the boxes could be made from a molded plastic and still be strong and durable --but--I am just dreaming right now--for now the Phoenix nozzle assembly is an answer to a dream.

Will double hose regulators ever surpass a top of the line single hose like the AL Legend in overall performance, the answer to that is yet to come but if it is no, does it matter? When is enough ( breathing performance), enough? There are intangibles at work here that are not easy to define or measure.
N

Please, please, please keep me in the loop!

My DA Aquamaster (about 40 years old) goes for its first (yes, first) real dive on the 24th in the Philippines...

I have 2 DA Aquamasters, I so want to hot rod one of them with Luis' new nozzle! It would be amazing to have it as my full time reg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom