Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'm jazzed. I just got an email from the Dive Safety Officer at the AOP. I'm in. Now I have to go get a physical and attend the training, but I'M IN! This is going to be SO COOL! :confined:

Started diving for the Baltimore Aquarium recently and it is a blast! It's an amazing experience to feed such a diversity of animals, and a privilege (in my opnion) to have the opportunity. Getting into the program was very competitive, and I feel one should not pass up the chance.

It is a lot of work and a long day (we do 4 dives each per day, about 40mins each), but learning about the animals and the chance to get wet every other week, even in the dead of winter will be worth it.

It's also pretty strange being the center of attention (lots of waving and pictures) but people seem to really get a kick out of the interaction with the divers. Some have even been asked for autographs!

By the way, be sure to check to see if you can write off any equipment expenses or mileage on your taxes (we can).

Ignore the "glass box" comment. Sounds like a bit of envy to me.

You will have an amazing experience!

Let us know how it goes, and feel free to post any questions.

Keep Bubblin'!

I am trying to be my most charming and get that volunteer job at the NJ State Aquarium as a diver, I am just MADE for that kind of job. :D

Hearing your enthusiasm about it, Seahunt, makes me that much more anxious to hear back from them. :hyper:

SueMermaid --

If you want some names of people who are involved with the NJ State Aquarium dive team, send me a PM. I know a few. They might be able to help.

Sounds like you're the exact kind of person they're looking for. The hurdles to get into the Baltimore Aquarium were intense. Written tests, pool tests with obstacle course, interview, training sessions, etc...

I couldn't believe more than 120 people (for about 40 slots) showed up on a cold rainy Oct night for the initial weeding out written test - all willing to give up a full weekday every other week.

Sure glad they didn't ask me in the interview what I thought about the aquarium, because I had never even been there! :wacko:

Out of curiosity, is the NJ AQ process similar?

Best of luck,
Seahunt

SueMermaid once bubbled...
I am trying to be my most charming and get that volunteer job at the NJ State Aquarium as a diver, I am just MADE for that kind of job. :D

Hearing your enthusiasm about it, Seahunt, makes me that much more anxious to hear back from them. :hyper:

I was asked to come in for that job.. Philly is just a little too far away to go so often though. I would have loved it.

This is what they require:
Please note that divers must make a minimum commitment of 1 year. Applicants to the volunteer dive program must meet the following requirements:
be at least 18 years old, be able to volunteer 2 days a month, 8 hours each day (9a-5p), show proof of a least 25 logged dives; 5 in the past 2 years and 2 within the last 12 months, pass written and pool tests; be interviewed by NJSA staff, have current CPR and First Aid Certifications, Successfully pass a medical evaluation
If an applicant is selected to undergo training for the Program, they must pass a diving medical evaluation by a licensed physician before diving. The cost of the evaluation is provided by the applicant.
I think I can handle that. :)

Interesting!

Baltimore is the same, except they don't require 25 logged dives. It's a good thing, since at the time I only had been certified about 2 months with about 6 dives ...part of the reason I feel so lucky to have gotten in - what a long shot! :eek:ut:

If you haven't had the written test yet, be sure to brush up on tables, physiology, first aid, even fish behavior. (If it's anything like Baltimore.)

Seahunt

Thanks for the tip, I will!
I forget the dive tables and have to relearn them almost constantly. :D

I have actually not gotten past the application stage, I hopefully will soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom