Aquaseal & wetsuit seam stiches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a semi-dry wetsuit that is okay but some of the stiching areas in the seams let just a little too much water in. I have other regular wetsuits that doesn't seem to let that much water into it from the stiches. My question: can I use something like Aquaseal to apply a layer on top of the internal stiching to help lock out this excess water?

If not Aquaseal maybe something that would add just a "little" more resistance to water seeping in from the stiches in my forearm and elbow.

Thanks,
Jeremy

JKSteger:
My question: can I use something like Aquaseal to apply a layer on top of the internal stiching to help lock out this excess water?

I never needed to do this, my suits are a glued and blind stitched so as to be "water tight" at the seams. What you're suggesting is standard practice for camping tents (with a different sealer) so it should help. I have not worked with Aquaseal so I'm not sure how it behaves. I'd try it in a small area first.

Pete

Aquaseal is pretty stiff with just about zero stretch so it would not be my first choice on a wet suit. Great for trilam dry suits, BC bladders, etc, but not on material that needs to stretch.

Neoprene cement is a much better choice and is much more fluid so you will be able to apply a thin coat easily and then smooth it over the stitches with a wetted finger.

DA Aquamaster:
Aquaseal is pretty stiff with just about zero stretch so it would not be my first choice on a wet suit. Great for trilam dry suits, BC bladders, etc, but not on material that needs to stretch.

Neoprene cement is a much better choice and is much more fluid so you will be able to apply a thin coat easily and then smooth it over the stitches with a wetted finger.

Thanks,
I will try the neoprene cement.

Jeremy

ScubaSarus:
I think you can get neoprene cement at HD. How do you know its from the seams.

I am NOT sure. Just thought that I would try it. Couldn't hurt could it? I don't know. Think I shouldn't try it?

Jeremy

JKSteger:
I have a semi-dry wetsuit that is okay but some of the stiching areas in the seams let just a little too much water in. I have other regular wetsuits that doesn't seem to let that much water into it from the stiches. My question: can I use something like Aquaseal to apply a layer on top of the internal stiching to help lock out this excess water?

If not Aquaseal maybe something that would add just a "little" more resistance to water seeping in from the stiches in my forearm and elbow.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi jeremy
I take it your semi-dry is made of neoprene.
Do not use the Aquaseal.
It will cause a knife edge effect around the outer edge of the patch and cut the material.
Neoprene cement is the way to go.
However it must be done right.
It works like contact cement.
you have to apply in layers.
For rips, apply a thin layer to both ripped surfaces, let set for 15 min; apply second layer, let stand for another 15 min; then apply third layer, let become tacky then pinch together.
If you are carefull with the applacation of the glue, you can make the repair invisible.

But it sounds like you are having a problem with the holes the stitching left.
My sugestion would be, turn the sleeves inside out, to work from the inside of the suit. Put a bottle or tube inside the arm to stretch the suit just enough to elongate the holes left from the stitching.
Using a tooth pick, put a drop of glue into each hole making sure that you rub the glue onto the sides of the hole. let sit for 15 min. then repeat the process. Let sit for another 15 min. remove the bottle reverse the suit and pinch the seam from the outside of the suit.
hope this helps

I finally remembered what we used to seal stitching holes on our tents, the product was Seam Grip. It's a solvent type material so use plenty of ventilation and start with a small test in case it attacks the material, to some extent you do want it to soften and bond. This material made a soft rubbery repair.
http://www.basegear.com/mcnettseamgrip.html

There are are some other urethane based coatings sold for tents that make harder surface seals and those are useless on tents, let alone dive suits.

Good luck

Pete

JKSteger:

Thanks,
Jeremy

Use Seal Cement. It is made by the same people as Aqua Seal (McNett?), but is a solvent type glue. Pull the seam open a bit, spread some on, let it dry and repeat once or twice more, then stick the seam back together and let it sit for awhile. As mentioned before, I wouldn't use Aquaseal as it forms a hard blob that will cause problems later on.
I have seen Seal Cement in dive shops and some sporting goods stores where it can be used to help repair neoprene waders...

Thanks. I will try the Seal Cement and let you know how it works.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom