AQWARY Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was pretty impressed to get a live person texting with me when I went to their website. I sent them a link to this thread. I would love to hear more about them.

Hi All,

My name is Joey Maier and I'm one of the guys who Aqwary loaned consoles to as part of their "Ambassador" program. One of their folks sent me the link to this conversation and asked me if I'd be willing to talk with you guys.

I've been diving with their consoles for a few months, and I'm happy to answer any questions about them. One of my dive buddies tried one for the first time on Saturday and seemed to like it.
Joey Maier - So I learned something new about the Aqwary... | Facebook If you guys are in central Florida and want to try them out on a dive, let me know. I dive Blue Heron Bridge on a regular basis, and was there this last weekend using the consoles.

I'm brand new here, and created this account just so I could reply. I hope I haven't broken any board rules/netiquette stuff. (I promise, I'll fill out my profile properly later, but I need to run to a meeting.)

4 AA batteries for 10 hours of dive time? you'd up end up having to swap batteries every 2 days on a liveaboard trip

'm brand new here, and created this account just so I could reply. I hope I haven't broken any board rules/netiquette stuff. (I promise, I'll fill out my profile properly later, but I need to run to a meeting.)
You're more than welcome here. I'm the one who sent them the link suggesting that they need to address this thread. Hopefully, they'll join as well.

4 AA batteries for 10 hours of dive time? you'd up end up having to swap batteries every 2 days on a liveaboard trip

No, you'll swap batteries every day. Even turned off there's a current draw (at least, on my prototype consoles....they may have changed that in the production models) and they will be depleted before the end of the day.

The first thing they told me was to buy a pair of chargers and rechargable AA batteries. I'm sure that method would work well for a live-aboard (...although I'll admit that I have not ever been on a live-aboard. My budget is more happy with day trips to the coast. Remember, I live in central FL.) The reason they are using user-swapable AA batteries is that you can get AA batteries almost ANYWHERE in the world, and will never have to face the "I traveled from 'X' and brought my console, and now I cannot dive because there is not a factory authorized...."

Again, if anyone local to me wants to meet at the bridge (cheap shore dive) to try the Aqwary consoles out, just let me know

Last edited:
rechargeable nimh batteries have roughly half the capacity of alkalines. at that rate, you wouldn't even make it through a day of diving.

they should've have opted for integrated lithium polymer using USB recharge. finding USB chargers isn't that hard, especially considering how often people will have one for lights/strobes.

rechargeable nimh batteries have roughly half the capacity of alkalines. at that rate, you wouldn't even make it through a day of diving.

they should've have opted for integrated lithium polymer using USB recharge. finding USB chargers isn't that hard, especially considering how often people will have one for lights/strobes.

Sorry, I can't/won't play armchair engineer. I wasn't involved in the development of the product, so I won't comment either way on their battery choices. (I do know that what I said above about AA's being available anywhere is the explanation that was given to me when I was hanging out with them at DEMA. I was also told that the battery decision was made after consulting with people at prior trade shows.) I haven't found the battery life limiting for doing a couple shore dives in a day.

If you want to talk about the actual use of the consoles, I can answer your questions. Short answer: in open areas, they work exactly as advertised. Places with lots of echos (e.g. in a swimming pool) can confuse the directional capabilities, causing the directional data to be off. I suspect cave/cavern environments would also be problematic for the same reason. I'm not cave or cavern certified, so I haven't checked that.

If someone in central FL wants to try using an Aqwary console, and is willing to meet somewhere not too far from me, I can let you use one of the two that they loaned to me. I'll dive with you using the other console, which will let you try out all the features so you can see what it does.

People in south FL who want to try the Aqwary console: I'm diving the Neptune Memorial with a group on 3/20. If you want to join us, I'll get you in touch with the right people. The boat fee is $75/person.

Images from last weekend's shore dive at Blue Heron Bridge
12823472_1565507117098966_252176722430729103_o.jpg

Last edited:
I just wanted to elaborate "they work as advertised"; they REALLY work. The stuff I like the best:
  1. Being able to get back to my buddy after stopping to photograph a stargazer on a night dive in water that only has five foot visibility
  2. Always knowing how much air my buddy has left without having to stop and use hand signals; in buddy view mode, that info is on the same screen as your own air pressure/depth. You get used to checking your buddy's air every time you check your own. (This is also true in list view mode, where an instructor/divemaster/boat can track every aqwary user at the same time)
  3. No dongles or millions of button pushes to access information from the console after the dive. When I get home I turn it on, activate the wireless, choose "Aqwary cloud" and all my data is uploaded from the console. That's a much easier way to get info for my logs than pushing buttons again and again to get info out of my Suunto Zoop.
  4. Knowing that if I needed to, I could use one button push to send an emergency signal. Every Aqwary user in the area would know I was in trouble and have directions to get to me. I would not be surprised if the boat link and console were adopted for things like big NatGeo expeditions.
If you are in the Orlando-Tampa area, and you want to USE one of the consoles instead of reading about them, let me know. If this board has a way to send me a message/notification via the email address I used to register, that would be the best way to contact me. If you are NOT local to me, and you want to know more about the Aqwary console, email them at info@aqwary. The company is very helpful and responsive. They've made both console interface and website changes based on my input.

Last edited:
Another interesting new computer. Looks like same tech as the Lynx. I wonder if a wireless version is in the works, as obviously they have the transmitter tech inside the unit, and could easily make a wireless version by putting that tech in a tank transmitter unit.

I do like user changeable AAs, but battery life is a concern. Opening and closing the compartment every day, or more than once a day, invites leaks. If you use lithium AAs for max life, the cost of batteries will be over a hundred dollars per year. Rechargeables will have to be changed out every day, or more than that, even.

RGBM? Well, I guess Suunto user will like it but it's not so popular among most divers I know, who like Buhlman.

Does the gas supply monitoring include the ability to set a surface reserve, and an algorithm for predicting gas needed for ascent, so that it signals you to begin the ascent at the appropriate pressure, a la scubapro and oceanic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom