Are all HID's the basically the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a dual wattage light, but I will say that what I interpret to be your reasoning is flawed. You shouldn't really put yourself in a situation where you would need to drop voltage to save enough juice to get out, you need to reserve adequate power just like reserve gas. If you want two different wattage lights for different scenarios you are much better off just buying two lights. I have a 21w Salvo cannister and a 10w Salvo handheld. The small size of the 10w allows me to easily carry both on a dive and increases the total available primary light burntime.

As far as the best and the brightest goes, it is nice, but you're gonna pay to be at the top of the mountain. If you can "settle" for one step down you can save a decent amount of money, enough to say, buy a 10w Salvo handheld... :)

What are thoughts on DR can lights? I know Salvo is the big name, but what are warranties, etc. like on DR's?

As usual , I'm only a 10 watt-er. (sigh)
I can't keep up with the BIG BOYS.

But if ANYONE puts a 35W in my eyes , oh boy oh boy.

I actually still LIKE my 10 Watt-ers.
I have 2 of them in case a bulb breaks , a cord goes PZZZZZT , or some other WIEEEEERD event happens.

And so far , I haven't found very many situations where I wished I had a 21W.
Now in Manatee , I make sure to invite buddies that HAVE 21W lights. :D

I also keep spare 10W batteries around too , just in case. So for me , the 4 hour burn time is not really an issue. My charger gets a workout though.

Da Beano

I don't have a dual wattage light, but I will say that what I interpret to be your reasoning is flawed. You shouldn't really put yourself in a situation where you would need to drop voltage to save enough juice to get out, you need to reserve adequate power just like reserve gas.

I agree that planning your dive with no reserve burntime so that you have to turn the intensity down to finish the dive is not proper planning. However, that's not my intent. So I would say the reasoning isn't flawed, it's only you're interpretation that's flawed. :)

My thinking is this...

On my old light, I can't do 3 dives because of the burntime and the age of the battery. So if I want to do 3 dives in one day, I have to partially charge it during the SIT. Most of the time, I only do 2 dives per day so it isn't normally an issue.

However, if I had a light with selectable intensity, I could set it to the lower setting before the first dive and possibly get 3 or 4 dives in without charging. (You would obviously need to calculate the actual burntime in both modes and keep it in the mode you initially select to be able to estimate the burntime accurately.)

On the other hand, if I know from the get go that I'm only doing 2 dives that day, I'll go for max intensity.

It's kinda like having two lights. Oh wait... I have two lights now... nevermind! :)

I actually just bought an LED primary by Solus...Su-2500. I saw one in the water and it was extremely bright with a great color distribution. It has two settings 100% and 50%. In its low setting its just a bit less bright than a 21W HID.

I actually just bought an LED primary by Solus...Su-2500. I saw one in the water and it was extremely bright with a great color distribution. It has two settings 100% and 50%. In its low setting its just a bit less bright than a 21W HID.

I have never seen one of these. What is the angle/focus of the beam?

So you did go ahead and buy one eh? Awesome :D Damn things look tough! Looking forward to being able to see it in action.

I'm in no rush to get a new light(I'm a 10watter too!). I'm hoping by the time mine bites the dust, that the LED technology will have come down to a reasonable price.

It don't show the 50% burn time for that model. I notice the beam * is 7.5 Is it tight enough for the caves?

I agree that planning your dive with no reserve burntime so that you have to turn the intensity down to finish the dive is not proper planning. However, that's not my intent. So I would say the reasoning isn't flawed, it's only you're interpretation that's flawed. :)

My thinking is this...

On my old light, I can't do 3 dives because of the burntime and the age of the battery. So if I want to do 3 dives in one day, I have to partially charge it during the SIT. Most of the time, I only do 2 dives per day so it isn't normally an issue.

However, if I had a light with selectable intensity, I could set it to the lower setting before the first dive and possibly get 3 or 4 dives in without charging. (You would obviously need to calculate the actual burntime in both modes and keep it in the mode you initially select to be able to estimate the burntime accurately.)

On the other hand, if I know from the get go that I'm only doing 2 dives that day, I'll go for max intensity.

It's kinda like having two lights. Oh wait... I have two lights now... nevermind! :)
Gotcha.

You could always buy another/the appropriate (if buying new) battery too. Then you'd have full intensity on all 3 dives. Either way, there's a ton of choices, which is always good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom