Are DUI drysuits really worth the extra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm. The wink in my reply above was because I have been under the impression that Santi is just as pricey as DUI. Not so?

haven't priced drysuits in a while, but wow, I stand corrected. Santi suits used to cost less than DUI :)

I've never heard of SANTI, so I'm pretty excited to check these guys out now.

To the google machine!

---------- Post added September 12th, 2014 at 11:02 AM ----------

Hi,

This is Kathy with DUI. We do have our new online Outlet Center. There are some very good buys in here Outlet Center - DUI Online - drysuits

Wishing you the best on your drysuit search.

I've had the outlet center bookmarked for a while, and if I do go the DUI route, I will definitely be buying from there. Still saving up money to reach those price points though.

Certainly nothing wrong with DUI, they have the lion's share of the market in this country, and the company stands behind it's products, as far as I can tell. Have met a number of people who work for them and have found them to be very responsive, etc..

The Santi suit is really an exceptional piece of kit, in my opinion. Comparing the seams to other suits (including DUI) really demonstrates excellent workmanship and design. The pockets are very well made, with a lot of little details that enhance their utility. The T-zip is great, I haven't had any problems with mine and the videos on the Santi website show how tough it is (try hammering a metal zipper with a sledgehammer and then diving it within minutes...).

The company is based in Poland, which might be a drawback for US divers, but the US distributer that I used was great. Since I bought mine, they have changed distributers and are now handled by Halcyon, I believe.

In any case, DUI and Santi are both very good high end products. You can certainly get a cheaper dry suit, but if you can afford it, it's an important piece of gear to optimize.

I've found that in many cases, you get what you pay for. Dive gear is no different. I have a DUI I really like. If you want to try before you buy, DUI has the Demo Days at many locations. Check it out. I'm guessing Catalina in 2015 will be March (schedule not out yet) but there is probably a San Diego Demo also. For $15 (2014 price), you get to dive in real world conditions under the guidance of an experienced dry suit DM/instructor, as many different DUI suits as you wish to try (and they have quite a variety). You also get lunch and a hat for the $15. Too good a deal to pass up. I tend to take my dry suit classes to demo days. I am not a DUI employee nor a store sales rep for DUI.

I have had two DUI suits so far. CF200 and TLS350. I like them both. Overall design is well throughtout. Both suits are easy to use. I also recently got a White Fusion Tech skin. Honestly, DUI makes better suit if they fit. The advantage of White Fusion is that it doesn't have to be custom make to fit perfectly.

Now there are a few thing that DUI doesn't work for me. Their wrist zip seal uses cone shape seal, which is never water tight with my deep tandons. Zip gloves has been the most reliable dry gloves for me so far, but the major issue is the suit on glove on aspect. It is so inconvinent in surface interval. I am still working on solution for my wrist at this point.

Guess what. Your dimensions are very close to mine. Seriously I am short, stocky and have about 2 inches on the chest on you. Otherwise the same. I went with the DUI TLSSE mens large short (MLS. off the shelf perfect fit. This runs about $1500 and they threw in the underwear. DUI can comment if the still do this.

It is a back entry but as far as I am aware, it is similar to DUI's other trilams without the bells and whistles such as front entry, thigh pockets, knee pads etc which really adds up. I did upgrade to zip seals which was an extra $300.

This is my 2nd year with the TLSSE and I have about 75 "perfectly dry" dives. Very happy with the off the shelf fit as I am a hard size for off the shelf and I am also on a budget.

Have you considered used? I was in a similar boat, needing a drysuit without a 2k+ price tag. Found a 10 year old DUI TLS350 on CL for 400$, sent it to superior to have a few mods done for better fit, and sewing on golem gear pockets, and adding a neoprene neck seal. All in all i've spent about 800 on it, and its been a great suit. If you're willing to do the work, there are great finds to be had on used suits... however, it def takes a lot of work and more time to find one that will fit you well and that isn't in need of spendy repairs.

To the original question though, I really like my DUI, and would get another... likely used as well:D

I've owned 2 DUI suits and now dive Bare. IMO the quality of DUI isn't what it used to be. My Bare XCD2 is in it's 3rd season of northeast wreck diving and has been rock solid. Built like a tank. I bought it brand new with 2 pockets installed for under $1500.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom