Big feet and off the shelf drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feldomatic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I've got the following drysuit brands available at my LDS's: Aqualung, Bare, DUI, Hollis and Scubapro.

I know, I know: Seaskin is the answer as long as my question involves a drysuit.

But recognizing it's practically November and I'd like to get a drysuit dive in on my birthday (more or less new year's) , I'm at least considering my off the shelf options to minimize lead time.

I noticed the Hollis DX-300X sizing guide caps out at shoe size 11 and it prompted the question:

Am I pretty much relegated to a custom build for the integrated boot/sock options to fit my US Size 13 feet? (on the wide side but not enough to require a specifically wider than stock shoe in that size)

Also, who do you get to measure you for a Seaskin? (since asking the LDS folks to do it seems a little disingenuous)

Also, who do you get to measure you for a Seaskin? (since asking the LDS folks to do it seems a little disingenuous)
Friend or significant other. Seaskin has some very thorough videos on how to be measured. Have the videos available to watch for each measurement. Print out the measurement listing, get a cloth metric measuring tape, have your partner measure you a couple times at various times take your biggest numbers. Don't want to go with the skinny and go diving on a fatter day.

Get something with socks + rock boots.
The XXL DUI socks are big on my size 13 feet. The XL were good with thiner/normal undergarments.

So I've got the following drysuit brands available at my LDS's: Aqualung, Bare, DUI, Hollis and Scubapro.

I know, I know: Seaskin is the answer as long as my question involves a drysuit.

But recognizing it's practically November and I'd like to get a drysuit dive in on my birthday (more or less new year's) , I'm at least considering my off the shelf options to minimize lead time.

I noticed the Hollis DX-300X sizing guide caps out at shoe size 11 and it prompted the question:

Am I pretty much relegated to a custom build for the integrated boot/sock options to fit my US Size 13 feet? (on the wide side but not enough to require a specifically wider than stock shoe in that size)

You can get off the shelf suits. Pinnacle goes to at least size 13... They're decent suits, and they ship very fast. I think I got mine in less than 2 weeks. I'm sure there are others too.

The basic Pinnacle trilam is about $1500 iirc. If you want the catalogs/sizing, dm me.

How tall are you? I have a usia with size 13 boots I haven't gotten around to listing anywhere. I might be able to give you a deal on it.

You can get off the shelf suits. Pinnacle goes to at least size 13... They're decent suits, and they ship very fast. I think I got mine in less than 2 weeks. I'm sure there are others too.

The basic Pinnacle trilam is about $1500 iirc. If you want the catalogs/sizing, dm me.

How tall are you? I have a usia with size 13 boots I haven't gotten around to listing anywhere. I might be able to give you a deal on it.
73 in. tall, us sizing 36-38 waist, 32-34 inseam, 46 suitcoat/torso (200-220lb depending on the season)

73 in. tall, us sizing 36-38 waist, 32-34 inseam, 46 suitcoat/torso (200-220lb depending on the season)
My usia would be too big for you (I was 300 ish pounds when I wore it), but I'm now pretty much your size. A Pinnacle would fit you pretty well though.

Your dimensions are the same as mine. I’m in an XL DUI TLS350 drysuit with 3XL Turbo Boots.

Their catalog covers dimensions here on page 66:

Shoe sizing is covered on page 69

I don't know anything about seaskin, but I love my Bare HDC Tech drysuit. Everything other than the price tag is just great. The difference in custom fit vs standard size was not much, as I recall. I did have a busted zipper the first year I owned it, but they replaced it under warranty.

I love my Seaskins, but I got a Dive Rite 901 earlier this year and am really liking it, too.

And, to @feldomatic, each size of the 901 comes with several different boot size options. For example, I got a 2XL Short, and there were 3 choices of boot size for that suit size. I may have just gotten lucky, but they had them all in stock and I got the suit size that fits me just right, with boots that fit me just right, in about 2 days.

And I am not normally an off-the-rack fit kinda guy. In the case of a drysuit, any suit that fits my upper body usually has boots that are too big for me. DR does offer my same size suit with boots that are bigger, but I was super happy when I learned they had it also with boots in my size.

The DR suit comes in 2 basic flavors: With and without removeable seals. I got the one with, so it has Si Tech Slaggo wrist rings (to which I have fitted Ultima dry glove rings and gloves) and some Si Tech replaceable neck seal setup. The material feels a bit thinner/lighter than my Seaskin trilam. Definitely lighter and more comfortable to don/doff and just wear around. I've only got 10 or 12 dives on it so far, so the jury is still out on whether it will prove as durable as my Seaskin trilam (which is now over 5 years old and still pretty much like new). I doubt the DR is AS durable, but it seems to be solid enough. And the lighter weight and less stiff fabric (which seems like it is maybe even just a little stretchy) is nice.

If you are interested and don't have a Dive Rite dealer local to you, my shop would be happy to help you out with getting one. I will be at Lake Phoenix this weekend, if you want to examine my Seaskin or DR in person (I noticed it says you're in Hampton Roads, which I assume is Virginia). Just let me know, so I know to bring them. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to be diving wet or dry, but I can bring them both, regardless, if I have a reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom