Info Are Pony Bottles Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Branching off another thread, which went mildly off-topic:
  1. Are pony bottles dangerous?
  2. What are the hazards of pony bottles?
  3. What safety advice would you give to someone using a pony bottle?
  4. What other advice (sizing, selection, configuration, etc) would you give for pony bottle use?
This is mostly focused on #1, but I've included #2, #3, and #4 to make the thread a little more useful. Given this is somewhat of a debate thread, remember to keep it civil, we don't want the mods to come along with their tools. :lock::letsparty:

That’s just absolutely silly. For non-tech diving, I’ve used a pony when single tank diving deeper wrecks in the cold(er) Great Lakes (below 60ft), bottom temps often 45F or colder. I slung a 30 for a while, then went to a 40. I recommend a 40 unless someone has a BC that can’t handle a 40 (such as a friend who dived an AL Dimension, he did a 19).

1. Are pony bottles dangerous?
  2. What are the hazards of pony bottles?
  3. What safety advice would you give to someone using a pony bottle?
  4. What other advice (sizing, selection, configuration, etc) would you give for pony bottle use?
1) not if used as intended and are part of your every dive training. Breathing off them as you would an octo and knowing it's contents are key.
2) using it as a dive extender and running out completely. Going out with a less than full or unknown fill and expecting it to be full when needed. Not having a large enough pony for your dive profile to get to the surface.
3) take it on every dive, period. Train with it. Breathe off of it while swimming at 15-20fsw until the tank is dry so you know approximately how long it will last while on active use. Ascend from normal depth and hit your stops, bail out to back gas if you run out so you again know the limits.
4) back mount or slung is a personal choice. I prefer back mount and upside down so I can manipulate the valve AND be fully out of my way. Size: minimum would be a 13, nominal is a 19 imo, 30 for a slung bottle. The best size is the one you're going to take with you every dive. Too big means bigger hassle, too small (3 & 6) is almost not with the effort though they will get you a few more breaths when you need them.

Are pony bottles dangerous?
IMO, the safety benefits of properly used pony bottle FAR outweigh any hazards. Having more air gives you far more of an opportunity to resolve all kinds of situations, including OOA, but also entanglements and various other unexpected hazards with may throw off your dive plan. Using your dive buddy as a mobile pony-bottle is perhaps an accident waiting to happen, if they're not there when you need them.

There are a few hazards (see below), but I think they're minor and easily addressed, and far outweighed by all the benefits of "I have backup air." IMO, a pony bottle is not complicated either, less complicated than an octo, which is standard equipment for new open water divers. If anything, the real hazard is that divers really aren't taught about pony-bottles in beginner-to-intermediate classes, which can lead to making fairly simple mistakes, that are very simple to avoid.

What are the hazards of pony bottles?

1) Inadequately sized or underfilled pony bottle for the task. Though the small pony on you is better than the large pony left at home.
2) Improper use, such as a dive-extender, or pursuing more dangerous dives.
3) "Spare Air" (3cu or smaller) actually are dangerous IMO. This is the same as (1), but worth a special call-out. Having actually used both a 1.7 and 3cu spare air, I was shocked at how quickly these ran out of air, in only a few breaths swimming a 20ft. The reason I called these dangerous, is that they have too little air to be useful, and any diver using them probably has a false sense of security.
4) Using wrong regulator - A diver may mistakenly start a dive with their pony bottle, run OOA quickly on the pony, then reach for their pony only to be confused why it's not there.
5) Pony Off - If the pony is turned off before or during the dive, it must be turned on to be used, and may not be immediately available.
6) Donating Air - If donating air, the pony may not have adequate supply for the dive buddy or yourself.

What safety advice would you give to someone using a pony bottle?

Practice: Each dive, switch to your pony mid dive for a few breaths. This helps verify it's where you expect, build muscle memory, and verify it's working.
Leave it On: Don't unnecessarily dive with the pony bottle turned off. You might as well leave it on. (see next tip)
Transfill: Use a transfill whip to top off your pony. That way it's always full, you don't have to pay fill costs, and don't mind leaving it on.
Sling or "Sidemount": A slung or "SideMounted" pony is usually easier to access, can be detached, and mitigates other issues like accidentally using the wrong regulator. However, a backmount pony won't kill you (I'm sure plenty of people here have advice for BM usage).
Retainers: Using some form of regulator retainer, or perhaps proper long-hose use, means your regulators are always where you expect them to be.

What other advice (sizing, selection, configuration, etc) would you give for pony bottle use?

I have a long post here about this exact subject.

Determine the appropriate size.
Determine if you want the safest configuration of a slung bottle or do you want it less safe and possibly more convenient in a back mounted position.
Determine if you want to be able to monitor pony pressure when back mounted.
Determine where you want to place the second stage. If slung, there is only one configuration, if back mounted determine if you want it on a necklace ( probably best) or somewhere else.
If back mounted determine if you want it upside and off and evaluate if the added complexity is a good risk/benefit.
Determine what is in pony, air nitrox or a rich mix. Simplicity, safety and convenience all come into play.
Once a diver has narrowed down those choices, then it makes sense to evaluate what trade offs have been made and what the specific consequences of the configuration is.
It is difficult to discuss all the potential problems with all the various options without narrowing down first.

whats with all the pony threads ? we've discussed this ad nauseam

Because split fins, masks on foreheads, poodle jackets vs BP/W, air 2’s, snorkels, and wetsuits have already been beaten to death multiple times so it’s pony bottle’s turn.
what do you mean ? whats wrong with split fins? :D

Back
Top Bottom