Are Single 80's a Smart Choice Deeper Than 60 fsw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On your 150-foot dive, did you have a dive buddy? And if so, what would have been your ascent strategy if at 150 feet your buddy would've signaled OOA?

Sometimes we hang a bottle from the boat in case, but we always use buddies at those depths. OOA procedures are similar as for shallower depths, go to your buddy, signal, and ascend together. We always have ample gas left over, so any deco acquired (if any, usually only a minute or two) are done as directed. The only time I went through this scenario (OOA from deep) everything went as planned. As mentioned previously in another post, they are usually not square profiles so as to maximize bottom time, however we have dives to 120' that are squarish that we do on 80's regularly.

Sometimes we hang a bottle from the boat in case, but we always use buddies at those depths. OOA procedures are similar as for shallower depths, go to your buddy, signal, and ascend together. We always have ample gas left over, so any deco acquired (if any, usually only a minute or two) are done as directed. The only time I went through this scenario (OOA from deep) everything went as planned. As mentioned previously in another post, they are usually not square profiles so as to maximize bottom time, however we have dives to 120' that are squarish that we do on 80's regularly.

I'm sure I could do tropical dives to 150 on a single 80 safely,but don't really see the point. Much prefer to do that depth with double 80's and a deco gas,that way you get to spend 20 minutes at depth rather than 3 or 4.

I'm sure I could do tropical dives to 150 on a single 80 safely,but don't really see the point. Much prefer to do that depth with double 80's and a deco gas,that way you get to spend 20 minutes at depth rather than 3 or 4.

However if it were a deep wall there may be no advantage to staying 20 minutes at the bottom of the wall.

I'm not a fan of 80 cu ft tanks but what's more important (to me) is that someone can fit the dive to the equipment. If you can do that (short dive with reserves considered) so for it.

Back
Top Bottom