Are Suunto dive computers so conservative, they're useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Cobra because it was conservative. A few extra minutes bottom time isn't a high priority with me.

ArcticDiver:
This whole idea of "conservatism" is more of a marketing statement than anything else. It equates dive time with being safer, or less safe. Certainly dive time is one component of a safe dive. But it is only one component of several that are very important.

Given that divers don't get bent when using just about any popular computer or algorithm how do you know where "...the line" is? For that matter how do you know what "...conservatism." is as differentiated from just making a dive shorter or longer?

The point is that if there was a demonstrable difference in divers getting hurt when using any particular algorithm, whether in a paper table or in a computer, it would show in accident statistics. As of today I know of no such data.

Exactly....there are no statistics that show any advantage in avoiding DCS by using a more conservative computer in rec diving. There are at least two reasons I can think of that might explain this; one is that rec diving with a single (usually AL80 or similar size) tank rarely results in DCS; about 1 in 50,000 dives I've read. So, statistical variances within such a small percentage is probably pretty tough. The second reason is that extended bottom time and depth are probably among the least likely contributors to DCS for most rec divers; the more likely contributors would be out of control ascents,(especially in OOA situations or panic) dehydration, alcohol use, strenuous exercise, poor conditioning, etc. I personally think cylinder size has more to do with DCS occurrence than is commonly realized; most people will simply be limited by gas supply, rather than NDL limits, on most rec dives.

I use a Vyper, my wife uses a mosquito. For the type of diving we do the computers suit our needs. If it shows that I have a few minutes less bottom time than someone else, so be it.

We have never had our computers malfunction yet. They are easy to read, and easy to use. I leave mine in nitorx mode at 21% when I am diving air so that I don't have to worry about changing anything.

stangscuba98a:
Suunto stinger is what I have used now for the past 3 years and I have dove with people who do not use them and have never had an issue with short dives or irregular dives. I love my stinger and would not trade it.

I too have a Stinger and love it. Unfortunately, Suunto has "retired" that model and replaced it with the D6.

I used to like Suunto products but even since my dive com started diving on its own and the poor service level from Suunto itself, I opt for one that can give me good after-sales service and product reliability.

WarmGoingCold:
As for the Suunto being more conservative than other dive computers, I would agree with that statement. I don't see the need to stay down a few minutes longer and risk DCS.

Yeah, but you can say that for any limit - it's always going to be a bit safer to make the dive a bit shorter - right up to the point where you don't get in the water at all.

*updated*

I decided to go with the Vyper. I love the big easy to read numbers and will use it with a DSS boot.

This is NOT a post against Suunto's conservativism, it is just an observation. I noticed a well known dive operator in NC was wearing a Dive-Rite Nitek Plus as a watch, and his dive master (who had to "set the hook" on wrecks they visted) wearing the same. When I asked why the Dive-Rite vs the Suunto (he carries both), his answer was all about the conservativism of the Suunto. I wear the same Dive-Rite (need the gas switch), but if I wanted air integration I would be all over Suunto for a Vyper.

Scared Silly:
This is a topic that comes up a lot. Do a search and you will find many posts on this.

That said I read what Scuba Toys wrote regarding Turk Lagoon. Probably a fair assement for that person. However, both my wife and I dive Suuntos (Cobra & Vytec). We did 22 dives over a week while in Chuuk. Several days we did four dives and never had a problem with being limited. Late in the week a few times on our second or third deep (100+) dive of the day we did get a deco obligation but that was easily elliminated by just going shallower which by the dive we were getting that it was time to move up anyways. So in the end we only had three minute safety stops.

The only time on my Vytec that I have adjusted the algorithm was during planned deco dive. I do this so that both my computer and the deco tables I generate are similar.

They do have some other quirks as well - for instance the MOD is based on 32 ft. being 1 ATM.
I TOO DOVE ALL WEEK LONG IN CHUUK WITH MY COBRA(28 DIVES) AND HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH TISSUE LOADING. MY DIVE BUDDY ALWAYS RAN LOW ON AIR FIRST. (USING 112 CU) THE PERSONAL SETTING WAS ON THE MOST LIBERAL AND THE PO2 SET @1.5. I ALSO FALLOWED UP IN MAUI THE NEXT WEEK WITH 14 MORE DIVES. I TOO WAS A BIT OVERWELMED BY ALL THE SETTINGS BUT FOOLING AROUNG BEFORE THE TRIP AND USING IT FOR TWO WEEKS MADE IT ALL VERY SIMPLE. I WOULD RECOMEND THE SUUNTO LINE OF PRODUCTS. I'M VERY HAPPY WITH MINE.

If you're concerned that the suunto's are "too conservative" just run them over into deco a bit and then do the stops. You'll get the bottom time you want, and you'll offgas better.

(I should probably make safety cautions about deco dives or dives pushing the limits with limited experience and/or insufficient training, but i'm not in the mood today -- you'll find out if you're a darwin award or not)

Also, you can skip the 3 minute safety stop and it doesn't lock you out or anything. If you want to you can do 1-1-1 to the surface instead of 3@15. Its only when it is displaying a hard ceiling that you can't violate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom