Are Suunto dive computers so conservative, they're useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a cobra. At first, I thought it was complicated, but now, I think it is the best piece of equipment I own

st1650:
But then I read on scubatoys ( http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/suunto.asp ) that the suunto algorythm is so conservative it would give you less than 50 min for a 60foot dive so I was thinking why pay more if I wouldnt rely very much on the computer and only use is the gauge mode and the tables.

I have no idea if that time limit/depth combination correct or not for that computer, but the NDL for air at 60' is 50 minutes on the SSI tables, so if you plan on using the gauge mode and tables, you'll have exactly what you said you don't want.

60' is a great depth for Nitrox. I don't have my Nitrox tables handy, but beleive the NDL is around 100 minutes, which is way more than 50 :cool:

Terry

RJTY:
I have a cobra. At first, I thought it was complicated, but now, I think it is the best piece of equipment I own

Ditto for me, too. I have an air-integrated Cobra, my husband dives a Vyper.

I also like the Nitrox multi-adjustment feature: I have it set permantly to Nitrox and then simply adjust the O2 % and the O2 partial pressure depending on the dive and what gas is in my cylinder (21% O2 for air).

I agree with some of the others: I'd rather err on the side of conservatism than try to ride the NDLs. There's not much down there that's worth chancing a trip to the chamber and a ruined vacation. That wreck's not going anywhere. I can finish exploring it on the next dive.

That said, I, too, like the opportunity to set the degree of conservatism. A fit 20-something will obviously have a different personal profile setting than an out-of-shape 40-something.

Two thumbs up for Suunto.

Suuntos are very reliable. The are conservative. I use mine in gauge mode (Stinger).
Their quality beats most recreational dive computers I think. I ended up into more technical diving, so I use tables and or my VR3 now, but I still recommend suuntos.

This is a topic that comes up a lot. Do a search and you will find many posts on this.

That said I read what Scuba Toys wrote regarding Turk Lagoon. Probably a fair assement for that person. However, both my wife and I dive Suuntos (Cobra & Vytec). We did 22 dives over a week while in Chuuk. Several days we did four dives and never had a problem with being limited. Late in the week a few times on our second or third deep (100+) dive of the day we did get a deco obligation but that was easily elliminated by just going shallower which by the dive we were getting that it was time to move up anyways. So in the end we only had three minute safety stops.

The only time on my Vytec that I have adjusted the algorithm was during planned deco dive. I do this so that both my computer and the deco tables I generate are similar.

They do have some other quirks as well - for instance the MOD is based on 32 ft. being 1 ATM.

mike_s:
While I don't have a Suunto computer, most folks like them. However, when I'm diving with people who have a Suunto computer, it seems that their computer is more conservative than mine on some things... (meaning it tells them that they have less NDL than me.)

Also... Their computer I think beeps more if you don't do a 3min stafety stop even on very shallow dives. If you go below 20 feet again, even to 21-22 feet I think it makes them restart their saftey stop. This I think is what happened to when I was diving withing someone with a Suunto. Because of this they had to restart their safety countdown. Not that big of a deal, but since I was underwater and couldn't ask them, I couldn't figure out why he was wanting to do a 5 or 6 minute safety stop.

Don't know what your LDS is charging for the Suunto Computers, but Phil at Dive Sports is having a HUGE clearance on all their Suunto stuff as he's trying to clear out all his inventory (he's not carrying those products any more). If he's still got one in stock of what you want, I'm betting that you can get it for cheaper than LP prices. call 800-601-DIVe and ask for him.

If I wasn't going to buy one of those from him, I'd consider the new Oceanics or the Tusa IQ-700. They have very nice features and changeable values for how conservative they are.

I have a Cobra and the Suunto does NOT make you start over on a safety stop if you drop to 20 feet. It simply removes the safety stop timer and then resumes once you go above 20 feet.

For example, if I dip down to 20 feet on a safety stop and I had 2 minutes left at 15, it will resume the countdown where it left off once I am at 19 feet.

As for the Suunto being more conservative than other dive computers, I would agree with that statement. I don't see the need to stay down a few minutes longer and risk DCS.

I have to agree with the other Suunto owners. I have two, the Stinger and the Vyper. I like them both very much. They have a big easy to read face, they are very intuitive to use, I got through most functions without the manual and they are reliable. As to conservative, yes. Two of my most regular dive buddies have other brands and I've never had an issue with bottom time.

JR

I've always had Suuntos and I certainly wouldn't call them useless - if they were useless they wouldn't be so popular! More conservative than many others but I'm fine with that. Thing is, if you are doing multilevel profiles the NDL advantage over tables on any computer is large. Use Nitrox and it starts to get hard to run out of NDL unless you're staying deep. If you did mostly square profiles on air I could see it being more of an issue.

Suunto stinger is what I have used now for the past 3 years and I have dove with people who do not use them and have never had an issue with short dives or irregular dives. I love my stinger and would not trade it.

I have had good luck.......well my D9 was one of the first ones out and it went back twice...but all my other Suunto's..Cobra, Vytec and Stinger are great and never give me any trouble. I don't mind being a little conservative once and a while... and to a point I can change them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom