Are the airlines tiring of their checked bag fees...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I know that they make tremendous amounts of income on those, but at what cost. With the reductions in aisle spacings yielding more bodies on each flight, that's even more of us peons dragging our roll-ons onboard along with our backpacks, fighting over the bins, delaying departures, taking longer to unload the masses at each landing, challenging all operations.

I flew to Memphis last week, and I would have liked to have checked a bag - but wasn't going to pay the fee for as little as I needed for my 4 day exploration, so I minimized and rolled-on. The first plane wasn't a regional jet so I drug it down the aisle to row in the back (I also won't pay fees to seat forward, as much as I want to be off as soon as possible on landing), and found bin space ok - backpack crowding my feet below the seat in front of mine. We were delayed leaving so late for my DFW connection which had to be in another terminal of course, but I rushed to make my tight connection as I could with my old legs. I barely made it, but they told me there was no bin space left so I'd have to let them check my roll-on at no charge. Fine, I don't want to drag and hump it anyway.

I hit a dollar store after arriving to grab some mouthwash, needed screwdrivers, etc. - then on return, left them in the hotel room. On my first returning flight tho, the agents offered to check my roll-on all the way home at no charge to free up space. Ok, fine - I keep the important things in my backpack anyway and I really didn't want to drag the larger bag on & off planes as well as around my DFW connection.

The airline still had to only check a bag small enough to qualify for carry-on limits, but they were giving in to an extent. The newest gimmick in ticket sales only allows one personal bag/backpack, no roll-ons. Are they just trying to blend some of those onto each plane to free up a little space, or are they ready to admit their greed caused too many problems?

I doubt that we'll win any real concessions here, but I can hope.

I am fairly lucky in that regard. I am a vet (I served just over 30 years in the RCAF). Both Air Canada and WestJet have wonderful programs for Military & Vets. (FWIW, for those who live in the US and are close to a Canadian Airport, Air Canada's offer also extends to people who have served in the Armed Services of the US as well.)

Although the two programs differ in the details, the "Reader's Digest Version" is that I can check up to 3 bags at no cost.

Air Canada Policy for Military Members

WestJet's Checked Baggage Policy (check the tab for "Military baggage information")

The airlines make more than $3 billion per year on checked baggage. I do not see them giving that up anytime soon. Instead, I predict a change to their onboard luggage policy which will ultimately restrict us to one small carry on item like a backpack and a purse size personal item. Everything else will have to be checked at continually increasing fees.

Dang. Nice to be a Lifetime Platinum Member of United and Delta. What is this all about...?

I sqaw a report the other day, the head of AA said "we will never run out of money again"

Free pretzels are back though. I agree I think the charging for checked bags is costing them some money by slowing down the boarding and unboarding process. There has to be a balance somewhere. I am glad AA has been profitable lately, nothing wrong with a company making money for its shareholders.

Checking a carryon for free isn't anything new or limited to one airline. See it often enough when they've got a full flight and think they will run out of overhead space. Being proactive about it may let people have an option - a passenger will be happier if they got to choose this rather than being the last people on and getting forced into checking a bag they might not want to. It may get the plane off the ground quicker too.

Nice to be a Lifetime Platinum Member of...Delta.
I got that with Delta long ago, then they quit West Texas. I won't drive to DFW to catch a plane.

Free pretzels are back though. I agree I think the charging for checked bags is costing them some money by slowing down the boarding and unboarding process. There has to be a balance somewhere. I am glad AA has been profitable lately, nothing wrong with a company making money for its shareholders.
I guess that using their new lowest fare class that restricts to only one personal item, no roll-on, will reduce the problems they have with cramming more peons in a plane.

Back
Top Bottom