Are there many diving pilots out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
We didn't do that.

In helicopters you try to exit the aircraft before it hits the water.

If you're still in it when it hits the water you really don't have to worry about exiting anyway, because when the advancing rotor blade hits the water, it kinda makes the helicopter break down into a whole bunch of small parts!

the K

thank is crazy! I have supported many army AV units and they always do dunker. everytime I ride Black hawk or Huey I am always told stay seated if we hit water and wait for blades to stop before exiting that aircraft will flip upside down and then you can just swim out.
What do you fly?
Maybe they just tell us non-aviator types that so that we won't panic.

I flew Hueys. 1 tour medevac and 1 tour assault.

Times change, as do emergency procedures (kinda like DIR :wink: )

We were taught to have everyone bail out at about 20 feet, release the safety harness, pull the emergency door dump handle and jettison the door, give the bird a lot of right cyclic and jump from the aircraft.

Perhaps the UH-60's behave in a different manner.

Where's a Blackhawk pilot when ya need one ????????

the K

I think that is the ideal way to bail out but if you can't you just hit water I guess.
Where did you do your tours? My two tours with an AV unit are JTF-Bravo and Task Force Sinai. I am finance myself and just get to play with a monkey harness entertaining the crew. :wink:
Nothing like doing gymnastic in a flying bus!

Viet Nam.
III Corps of Operation
Cu Chi, Dau Tieng, Quan Loi, Bear Cat and all places inbetween.

I started flying (16) before I started diving (18) and found the experience made me a much better diver on several levels.

I think pilots in general are a bit more comfortable with procedures and with mechanical equipment in general and this trasfers directly to diving. In my case finishing, owing and maintaining an experimental aircraft took my mechanical competence to a new level.

They are also attuned to thinking three dimensionally and have a much better grasp on navigational concepts like terrain navigation, compass headings, reciprocal bearings, etc.

I also think that instrument rated pilots have an advantage. I don't think this stems so much from a "know how to trust the instruments" standpoint (although I don't know many non instrument rated divers who can hold course and depth mid-water at night for any significant distance). I think the primary benefits are the concept of flying with total precision that is gained with an instrument ticket and also from mastering the task loading that is required to be a competent instrument pilot.

I have found this to be particulary beneficial on deep/technical dives. In my experience once you master the basics, most instrument instructors pour the task loading on you mercilessly (and then induce some vertigo) to force you to speed up your scan, adapt and prioritize to manage a situation. This tends to reinforce the need to develop your planning and organizational skills to enable you to stay well ahead of the aircraft even in rapidly changing situations. The skills developed there easily exceed what is demanded of you in terms of planning, organization, and task loading even on deep technical dives where you may be under the influence of narcosis.

That's a good observation/analysis, DA.

the K

I've got commercial and multi-engine and have a flight instructor ticket (although I'm not current to use it), though I don't make my living flying. I flew for many years and never was interested in diving. Then I met my (now) wife, who had just gotten certified. When the subject of a honeymoon came up, she asked was I interested in a diving trip. Sounded like fun, so I bit. Now we both still dive, though she is not a pilot and is not interested. I have a single-engine plane that I use to bore holes in the sky on weekends.

. . . just as long as you're boring holes in the sky and not the ground !!!

Been flying since I was 16. Always wanted to dive but never could afford to until now. I just did my AOW. I tend to want to dig into the "WHY" a lot and I am driving my instructor crazy trying to come up with a spreadsheet to tell me how much time (air)i.e. fuel is in the tank. PSI/Cubic feet means nothing but math to me. Tell me how much time I have left till I am in my reserve. IOW, how long can I stay down. Yes I know that it depends upon my SAC rate and breathing at the time.
TYPE A...NO WAY but my wife would totally disagree. Afraid of heights. No Christmas lights at my house. Anything above about six feet and I am toast.
I started out as a airplane mechanic and I am always wanting to know how something works.

So I guess that some of the attitudes towards procedures etc. do crossover.
I have always said that pilots are conforming non-conformists.

AggieDad,
What kind of spreadsheet are you running?
I have a break down of SAC/Tank/Time relationships I can send ya.

the K

OOPS !!! Off Topic

CLEAR!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom