Are these Poseidon Jetstreams worth servicing/rebuilding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DHDixon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently came into possesion of a set of older Poseidon regs and was hoping to get a bit of insight on their condition. Unfortuantly I am not too familar with poseidon regs so any help would be much appreciated. I will also try my best to answer any questions. Again, for anyone taking the time to help, thank you.

Attached is a google drive folder with pictures I figured would be relevant in diagnosing them.

They look to be in very nice condition. I'd do searches for Poseidon and see what SB'ers use them and find out how they service them. I'm not familiar with the brand, so I have no idea on availablity of parts or how difficult these are to service.

If there is not a lot of corrosion they are probably worth rebuilding. The caveat is that depending on who does the rebuild, you might spend a lot of money on the repairs.

I recently came into possesion of a set of older Poseidon regs and was hoping to get a bit of insight on their condition. Unfortuantly I am not too familar with poseidon regs so any help would be much appreciated. I will also try my best to answer any questions. Again, for anyone taking the time to help, thank you.

Attached is a google drive folder with pictures I figured would be relevant in diagnosing them.
I recently came into possession of a set of older Poseidon regs and was hoping to get a bit of insight on their condition.
I assume, also being unable to see the images, that you have either 2960 (Odin) or 3960 (Jetstream) first stages, and not the MK3 or Xstream?

Regardless of what many have to say, Poseidon regulators are quite straightforward to service and to tune -- provided that the manuals are followed and everything, especially in the 1st stage, is kept scrupulously clean. It is quite simple to trash a seat; though I have worked on them for years, without any issue.

An all-too common problem with used Jetstreams, however, is damage to the servo valve, the "needled screw-on cap" at the very tip of the second stage. If that is the case, it or they will have to be replaced. Once bent, they cannot be straightened; though I have now been told otherwise by some in the know -- but would not be approved by Poseidon.

Parts, though increasingly pricey, are now readily available over the counter in the US and Europe, even for regulator models that haven't been produced for thirty-plus years; and I wouldn't think twice about using any of those older models as primaries at any depth, which were all very well made and well-nigh bulletproof.

My current pony bottle is fitted with a Cyklon 300 from the mid 1970s, which still breathes beautifully, and I commonly use the Jetstream with either the 2960 or MK3 for rough surf entries . . .

That's a fairly nice set. Absolutely able to return to good service.
Based on the color of the diaphragms and the corrosion on the Jetstream second, I'll guess you might need 1-2 new valve inserts and maybe a new diaphragm or two. But the 2960 is the newer model with UNF ports. That's critical.

Standard labor and service kits would likely be $190 for the three regs (yeah, I know, but Poseidon first stage kits have gone thru the roof).

Add $0 in new parts to $20-40 for new diaphragms
Add $0 in new parts to $20-40 for new valve inserts
Add $0 in new parts to $50-100 for 1-2 new servo valves.

Best case $190
Likely case $280
Worst case $370
You could save a bit using aftermarket orings and seats.

That's an easily restorable set that's in great condition. But Poseidon retail parts prices are getting nuts.

Hope this helps you decide.

well, you know your alma maters position on Poseidons and how much both Matt and I love ours so we are a bit biased in that regard. Unfortunately with both of us being as busy as we are, I would recommend biting the bullet and sending them to @rsingler , he's a good guy, and a great reg tech.
Based on the pix and my unlucky history with these things where people abuse the servos, I think you're probably in for the "worst case" pricing wise, but I certainly love these regulators and they are my primary reg sets, at least once Rusty gets the probably 12-15 of mine back to me that he's servicing :)

I have to credit @Fibonacci with teaching me how to restore a servo. Most with a "bent" tip turn out to just have a degraded seat that is half gone, causing the tilt.
I have now restored three servos that were leaking badly, to one tiny 0.05ml bubble every ten seconds, by replacing the seat with a homemade punched seat.
Reassembly is a challenge, as the circlip is only 2.5mm in diameter. And restoring the seat with Micromesh is working on a 3mm seat deep in the tip.
It's mostly been a challenge to see if I could do it on my own regs. It's completely unauthorized. But if I don't have to buy a new $50 servo, it's worth it.

Advice: don't even attempt it unless you're willing to spend $50 on a new servo. When that circlip disappears as it pops off, you'll never find it again.

Thank you, @Fibonacci!
@Fibonacci is an absolute design and CAD guru who is preparing the illustrations for the Poseidon Regulator Geeks session, one of these days.
He's the guy who's created those Poseidon adapters to Atomic Swivel hoses that are so magical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom