Are wireless transmitters junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I first started diving I bought a Galileo Luna dive computer with wireless transmitter. To the new diver everything was perfect. Easy to use and understand and it "just worked". During a trip in Cozumel the divemaster suggested I get an SPG as a backup to the transmitter citing that they fail often. Like any proud equipment owner I quickly scoffed at the suggestion and carried on with my day.

Fast forward to last month when I was at the pool practicing with my new rig. I could not get the tank pressure to read no matter what I tried. I then tracked down some replacement batteries and headed back to the LDS to test. It was verified by myself and the shop clerk (trusted, good guy) through trial and error that the transmitter went bad. After discussing this with him for a few minutes I asked if he's seen this before and he replied with "oh yea, it just happened to mine not too long ago". Wonderful.

Now I work in the technology field and am well aware that things can and will go wrong sometimes. However this is beginning to seem like an ominous pattern. Scubapro is not a cheapo brand, I'd say it's at least a Lexus so I'm surprised to hear of their notable failure rate with wireless transmitters. Or perhaps I am overthinking it and I just hit the lottery.

Nevertheless, I will now need to send it back to Scubapro. I will have to wait a bit because I need the computer for an upcoming trip. I just happened to be building a more DIR rig at the same time as this incident so I now have a standard SPG on my hip (HOG black face, so sexy). The question now is, do I even use the wireless transmitter anymore? I know that redundancy is best but it seems like an unnecessary point of failure. Also, I could always rely on my buddy for depth on rec dives in the case of a standard SPG failure (which I hear is rare). What does DIR say about wireless transmitters?

DIR says about wireless transmitters the same thing they say about most optional equipment. Not penguin.

I had some problems with my scubapro transmitter's battery life until they switched to a higher voltage battery. That includes getting a bad battery from my LDS, who later told me they had received a whole shipment of bad batteries.

If you haven't sent the tx off to scubapro yet, try sourcing your own battery first. They can be had on amazon.com for less than a quarter of what scubapro dealers want.

Thread about my experience here: Scubapro Galileo Luna Or Sol Transmitter Battery

Thanks kelemvor, I've actually seen that thread and it was helpful. I got some batteries from Batteries+ for a good price. Same as you found (3.6v) just a different brand. Even with this new battery the computer would not see my transmitter however it picked up another test transmitter no problem.

Edit - Also we tried another battery they had on hand at the shop.

Last edited:
Scubapro......ain't anymore. It was bought out by Johnson and Johnson a long time ago. A lot of their best people left including their computer division simply left. That's where Atomic came from.

Can't say I think their computers are reliable at all after 3 of them went bad. in under 2 years. The final straw was not warrantying one STILL UNDER WARRANTY, because that model had been discontinued. Yeah, sure, they changed the 2 buttons from tear-drop to round, otherwise it was exactly the SAME computer. They would allow a 'generous' 20% trade-in. They lost a customer for good. Their (older) regs I still trust, not their computers.

My wife has a Suunto Vyper Air with transmitter because of those problems. We got tired of computers crapping out and lousy customer service and a bunch of different brands. The Suunto is supposed to be more reliable has it's own problems (too conservative, and I hear the pressure sensors tend to fail), but she ABSOLUTELY carries an SPG. She's had the transmitter fail to register, lose it's 'channel', and battery die 2 months after a $50 shop replacement. You can change the battery for $8 in 10 minutes.

Recently had an instructor that I was diving with have to end the dive after 5 minutes because his transmitter failed before the dive and somehow he got an empty tank. He was out of gas with no idea. Regardless of how reliable a transmitter is I would get an spg just as an emergency backup. It's not an expensive or cumbersome addition to your gear.

Recently had an instructor that I was diving with have to end the dive after 5 minutes because his transmitter failed before the dive and somehow he got an empty tank. He was out of gas with no idea. Regardless of how reliable a transmitter is I would get an spg just as an emergency backup. It's not an expensive or cumbersome addition to your gear.
Yikes Yikes Yikes. I wouldn't use that instructor again. Unless I misunderstand, he splashed with absolutely no idea how much gas was in his tank? 3 or 4 spg's won't fix that kind of lunacy.

My wife has a Suunto Vyper Air with transmitter because of those problems.
My Suunto crapped out after no mor ethan 60 dives. I switched to SPG and will no longer use AI. Not worth the trouble and the money.

I have been using hoseless AI since late 90's, they have gotten so much better and more reliable since circa 2005. I have had Suunto hoseless AI D9, etc. no issues at all. I know several people with SP AI Galileo Sol/Luna no problems whatsoever. When hoseless AI came out in the mid 90's to late 90's it was crap but it has improved dramatically in the last 10 years and I don't have a problem with it at all.

I have been using hoseless AI since late 90's, they have gotten so much better and more reliable since circa 2005. I have had Suunto hoseless AI D9, etc. no issues at all. I know several people with SP AI Galileo Sol/Luna no problems whatsoever. When hoseless AI came out in the mid 90's to late 90's it was crap but it has improved dramatically in the last 10 years and I don't have a problem with it at all.
My problems seem to have centered around a bad choice of battery in the transmitter. After a minor (and cheaper) upgrade, I haven't had any more problems so far.

Sounds to me like @ScubaDoo83 has a defective transmitter, which sucks. However I can't think of any brand dive computer that I haven't seen at least one person post they have a defective unit somewhere. It may just be that he drew the short stick. Some units stick out with regular posts about problems, but heck.. that COULD just mean those are selling better and therefore there are more of them in the world. It's so difficult to make a decision about stuff like this without good data :wink:

I've had my Aeris T3 for 10 years or so, no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom