Are you a caver??

Are you a caver too??

• Caving, NO-way, there might be bats, its dark and tight!

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Caving, love it but not with scuba gear.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Caving, love it but only if I’m under the water.

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Caving, just get me underground, doesn’t matter above or below the water.

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well last weekend I went to Ocala, FL area for the Florida Cave Cavort (dry caving stuff). Actually 2 of the caves I went to were half filled with water and i had to wade in chest deep water or sometimes swim (which isn't fun in hiking boots).

I just wanted to post a pic form my trip for you guys to see.

http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~sbeck/carepics/2003-03-17-22:12:31/Wendy.jpg

Caver turned cave diver....

Took up cave diving to explore those parts of the cave that others could not reach. I have absolutely no interest in open water diving whatsoever, and will think nothing of dragging my frogman's apparatus for miles down some muddy hole to dive a sump. In fact I've got 8 cylinders and even a wetsuit stashed down various caves awaiting the opportunity to dive in them. The diving bit is just a tool (like rope work) to get me through the cave to boldly go etc. The conditions aren't as nice as in Florida: 40°F water and 2 ft visibility either.

Duncan

Wendy that looks nice and warm! The attached photo was taken of a friend of mine during a trip to Gapping Gill (I think - but in the Dales anyway) in the Yorkshire Dales. The water was cold, I think around 5 C, anyway I missed the shot of her ducking under the tightest spot where your nose is in the water, so I asked her to go back. What some folks would do to be in a photo. But she wouldn't stop in the lowest spot and I was too slow to click a shot of her there.

If someone recognizes this spot, please confirm where it is for me. I now know better than to say "I don't need to label things, I'll never forget"

Duncan Price once bubbled...
Caver turned cave diver....

... will think nothing of dragging my frogman's apparatus for miles down some muddy hole to dive a sump. In fact I've got 8 cylinders and even a wetsuit stashed down various caves awaiting the opportunity to dive in them.

Duncan

That's caving! Ever read: Down to a Sunless Sea by Mike Boon? A good read on early Dales caving and diving.

Good old Mike is still caving, last summer on a trip he managed to out drink everyone and still be one of the first up the mountain.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
Wendy that looks nice and warm! The attached photo....

...If someone recognizes this spot, please confirm where it is for me. I now know better than to say "I don't need to label things, I'll never forget"

Looks like the duck in the Valley Entrance to Kingsdale Master Cave rather than part of the Gaping Gill System. Disappointment Pot (one of the entrances to GG) has a duck in it which involves lying on your back with your nose against the roof to get through. There are also some particularly aqueous parts elsewhere. Does this ring a bell?

That's caving! Ever read: Down to a Sunless Sea by Mike Boon? A good read on early Dales caving and diving.

A classic - I reviewed a list of good "real" cave diving books amongst those listed here.

Good old Mike is still caving, last summer on a trip he managed to out drink everyone and still be one of the first up the mountain.

Great news - if you have contact details please can you PM them to me as I'd like to get in touch. I have some news for him.

Duncan

Duncan Price once bubbled...

Looks like the duck in the Valley Entrance to Kingsdale Master Cave rather than part of the Gaping Gill System. <snip>

Duncan

I had labeled the series of slides - about a year after the trip -with Gaping Gill, but I wasn't sure. I am pretty sure we went in through the valley entrance, as I have a picture of the "barrel" entrance, labeled as "valley entrance." Valley entrance is about 25 yards from the road, it sure beats the typical rockies trip where the cave is a day or two hike from the road.

Now that you mention Kingsdale, it all makes sense. Thanks.

I've been caving for a few years, mostly Vertical, long drives down to TAG (Tennessee Alabama Georgia). I'm signed up for Cavern through Full Cave this summer. Plan to bounce Fantastic on my way down to Florida. The dive course should be a great learning experience for diving.

Wendy once bubbled...
I am a cave diver turning caver. I just ordered some gear and getting ready for my first trips this month. I did some rappelling a few months back and went short distance in this one limestone cave here in Florida. I can't wait. Although it did kinda freak me out a little when I first went in cuz there was no water in there. It looked just like the caves I dive. Pretty weird.

I'm with Wendy.

Actually to my folk's horror (both were claustrophbic) I've always loved caves. We had a cabin in Eastern OK and I was forever poking my head into holes in the rock. It's a miracle I was never snake bit.

Got into cave diving, loved it, but started getting involved in the preservation/exploration end. So I joined our local NSS Grotto and am learning dry (sorta) cave techniques, survey and preservation, flora and fauna issues (love them bats).

Even if you disagree with the NSS-CDS, join the NSS and start attending local gotto meetings. You'll learn tons about caves and may make a cave diving convert or two!

Dive safe
Brock

I agree, join a local group and you will learn a ton.

I have a few spots available for a begineers trip into a cave here in Alberta this weekend (June 8 '03). Anyone interested, I am taking some cave divers to see what a sump looks like.

Edit to add:

This is a dry caving cave trip! PM me if your interested.

I enjoy doing caves but I'm not as serious about it as you guys. The only underwater caves I've done are fairly easy ones here on Maui. Not much penetration there. I enjoy going inside a cave and then setting up camp and seeing what will swim inside. Cool stuff.

On land I'm curious and have gone inside a few caves. In fact not long ago I got in touch with a serious caver to ask him about some bat caves I knew of. Turns out these caves are very sensitive and since I reported it they've installed bars over the entrance to protect it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom