Are you a recreational, rectech or technical diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purely a warm water wuss vacation recreational diver. I like checking out wrecks but have no desire to penetrate. I've done a few cenote dives and am glad I did them but that was enough. Don't really understand the appeal of caves but many people don't understand why I like backpacking through the mountains with a 40 pound pack on my back and sleeping on the ground either. I've done everything necessary for the AOW several times over but have not felt the need to actually get the certification. I do love diving though.

I am a recreational diver and plan to stay that way. I am currently doing a course to certify to 50m as I like wrecks a lot and there are lots in the 40-50m range locally. I have just started doing decompression diving as well and will do more training in that area. I am doing Cavern in two weeks and if I like that, I might do Cave at a later stage (most of my friends say this will be inevitable for me :p) But yea it's just a hobby, I'm taking my time with things (close to 300 dives now before I have started considering more advanced training) and I have no plans to make a living from it so I am a recreational diver even if I am diving below 130', doing decompression dives and going inside caves/wrecks.

So I guess I don't really think the terms 'recreational' 'technical' or 'rectech' are useful for me but if other people like to label themselves that way, fair enough.

I'm in. Avid recreational diver. With a SS BP/W. Long hoses. Dry suit for Lake Superior. AOW, Wreck and Nitrox cards. Maybe 8 or 9 'specialties'. No interest in cave, little interest in deco, only sometimes carrry a camera.

Next?

DC

I am a recereational, OW instructor. I would say I'm at the rec/tech level with Adv. Nitrox, Deco Procedures & Introductory Cave. I am currently working towards technical diving with pursuing Full Cave & hope to be finshed sometime next year. I appreciate each level for what it is & offers. I fully enjoy recreational diving to teach newcomers to dive & to just relax & chill out; but then I also enjoy the challenges & planning involved with the more technical side of diving. Neither is better or worse than the other, just different, with different goals. :blinking:

I'm definitely a recreational diver. All of my diving is for fun....I'm absolutely in love with diving (and diving with great buddies). Eventually, I want to (get trained for and) dive deeper than 130fsw....and I definitely want to try out some cavern/cave diving....but it will all be for my enjoyment!

I enjoy 20ft critter spotting dives, but I'd love to glide through decorated caverns some day (not sure about crawling into the little holes though), and be suspended with deep blue water in every direction. I’ve seen some very enticing silty penetration openings on wrecks @ 80 ft & love the little swim throughs.

Baby steps :D- classes, pratice, mentors, classes & dialing in one piece of cool gear at a time. Now dive a bp/w, long hose 21W HID light, drysuit & 32%. Promises that scooters & doubles are their way in the next few months :D.

For now I get to work on technique and dream through your pictures and stories as I stick to my rec training limits.

I have no idea where this all will lead, but the possibilities are exciting. I agree - it’s all recreational diving & I love it!

Last edited:
I always perceived recreational as no deco (or rather min deco) and no overhead environment dives. Technical diving in my view would be dives with staged decompression and/or overhead environment. I'm not sure what techrec or techreational diving is and have often wondered what people were referring to as such.

Another way to classify diving would be non-paid for fun (recreational) versus getting paid (professional or commercial).

These are only my views per the OP's original question. I could be wrong in my understanding, but this just my perception or opinion.

In terms of moving forward with my development, I'm just trying to keep getting better. I thought that if I finally earned certain certifications, I would be this amazing diver. Instead, once I received these certifications, I realized how much more room for improvement I have. Ugh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom