Are you a Tec/DIR Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
YOU MIGHT BE A TEC DIVER IF..........

... your idea of an easy dive is one in which your hang time is less than the length of the boat trip.
... you find yourself engaged in a heated three-day discussion on Scubaboard over whether your back-up compass belongs in your left or your right pocket.
... you buy more of your dive gear from B and Q than from the dive shop.
... your Sport Utility Vehicle has 4" of ground clearance.
... you had the electric company run three-phase power to your garage.
... your electric company has put you on a demand rate.
... you have two spare masks but you never bothered to replace the snorkel you lost last year.
... you think George Irvine III is God's prophet.
... you think George Irvine III is the devil incarnate.
... you consider your lap-top computer an essential piece of dive gear.
... you spend more for the gas that you breath than for the gas that goes into your car.
... you cancelled a dive because you forgot to bring a condom.
... while watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade, you think how much better you would use that gas floating Dino the Dinosaur
... using a whip as part of your passion has nothing to do with sex.
... your TWO car garage won't fit ONE.
... you have more money invested in dive gear than you do furnishings in the house or in the whole house itself.
... your idea of coffee table books are an autographed copy of "The Oxygen Hacker's Companion" and "Basic Diving Physics and Applications" by Bruce Wienke.
... you have no idea what a "coffee table book" is, or for that matter what a "coffee table" is. (You are probably also divorced).
... a coffee table is just a rusty hatch with 2x4 legs
... you have redundant TV remotes bungeed under your arms while watching football < when the football was taped and you're repairing regs on a Tuesday night that is>
... you write misspelled email at 1:12 am
... you calculate bailout schedules for commuting to work on the train or consistently recalculate how long you have to get to work if the bus continues at its present speed
... you just stage extra busses along the way and skip the math
... every spring you quit your job to work on the dive boat for no pay until October
... you use a handy bottle of 02 to re-light a cigar left sitting too long... (try it, it works great!)
... you have expensive equipment delivered to work rather than home to keep the wife from catching on...
... a keep a "getaway bag" packed and stashed in the corner of the closet in case a last minute dive opportunity pops up...
... you use a deco bottle to blow the dust off the kitchen refrigerator coils...
... your web "favourites" list consists entirely of weather web sites...
... all the speed dial numbers on your phone at work are programmed for dive partners and dive shops...
... you think that wearing adult diapers or gluing catheters to your todger is a macho thing to do...
... you have the morbid outlook that anytime a tragedy happens at sea you say, "is it diveable"?
... you have pale, white skin yet spend hours participating in outdoor "watersports".
... every time you pass a ship, you try to imagine it as a wreck dive.

and you really hate it when

Rec Divers insist on being treated as equals
Rec Divers ask you how much everything weighs, thereby reminding you of how much everything weighs
Rec Divers tell you, "That super-long octopus hose you have looped around your neck is kinda dangerous isn't it?"
Rec Divers want you to stand around and smile so they can take your picture in, "All the stuff..."
Rec Divers want to know why you carry seven small lights when you have the, "Great big one..."
Rec Divers have less to carry around for shorter distances, but complain more
Rec Divers think Surface Decompression is a put-on; "You're just a wimp!"
Rec Divers ask about deep diving fatalities while you gear up for a tough dive
Rec Divers ask why one buddy is not enough
Rec Divers head for cover during creative air fills
Rec Divers insist on lending you their spare snorkel
Rec Divers ask why you don't use the latest PADI or DCIEM dive tables
Rec Divers laugh at the Sacred Duct Tape
Rec Divers explain what you are doing to onlookers and get it all wrong
and worst of all
Rec Divers explain what you are doing to onlookers and get it all right!!!

Man, this is to funny, but the bad thing about it is that it is all true!! lol and heck, if my wife just knew how much I had invested in my regs alone I would be divorced, wait is that really such a bad thing???

or, you have your wife or SO convinced that each piece of dive gear costs approximately 10% of what it really costs.............

miketsp:

... you have more money invested in dive gear than you do furnishings in the house or in the whole house itself.

I need a moderator to remove this section of the post. There is no way that anyone should ever find this out

miketsp:
(You are probably also divorced).

Ooooooops, to late, she found out.

you cancelled a dive because you forgot to bring a condom.
Now that's funny!

I'm not a tec diver, so I've never actually cancelled a dive for that reason, but after those dives, I'm literally ripping gear off and screaming "UNZIP ME, UNZIP ME!!!"

miketsp:

... your idea of an easy dive is one in which your hang time is less than the length of the boat trip.

Yes

... you find yourself engaged in a heated three-day discussion on Scubaboard over whether your back-up compass belongs in your left or your right pocket.

Don’t use a compass except for cave survey

... you buy more of your dive gear from B and Q than from the dive shop.

I get mine for free LOL almost

... your Sport Utility Vehicle has 4" of ground clearance.

I own a F250 4X4 with an attached trailer for dive equipment

... you had the electric company run three-phase power to your garage.

Yes

... your electric company has put you on a demand rate.

Maybe

... you have two spare masks but you never bothered to replace the snorkel you lost last year.

I dont own a snorkel and have not for 15 years

... you think George Irvine III is God's prophet.

I have dove with George, he is not that bad in real life

... you think George Irvine III is the devil incarnate.

I am

... you consider your lap-top computer an essential piece of dive gear.

Always have mine with me

... you spend more for the gas that you breath than for the gas that goes into your car.

No I own a F250 4X4 turbo desiel

... you cancelled a dive because you forgot to bring a condom.

Don’t use them

... while watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade, you think how much better you would use that gas floating Dino the Dinosaur

I have done this, Really

... using a whip as part of your passion has nothing to do with sex.

True, but I like the cat of nine tails also, any girl takers?

... your TWO car garage won't fit ONE.

I have a 3 car garage, Its all full of dive equipment and tools J

Close

... your idea of coffee table books are an autographed copy of "The Oxygen Hacker's Companion" and "Basic Diving Physics and Applications" by Bruce Wienke.

Bruce is a good friend of mine, Really

... you have no idea what a "coffee table book" is, or for that matter what a "coffee table" is. (You are probably also divorced).

Almost

... a coffee table is just a rusty hatch with 2x4 legs

Its really my tail gate on my F250

... you have redundant TV remotes bungeed under your arms while watching football < when the football was taped and you're repairing regs on a Tuesday night that is>

Never watch TV, I am always diving

... you write misspelled email at 1:12 am

right now its 11:15 but close

... you calculate bailout schedules for commuting to work on the train or consistently recalculate how long you have to get to work if the bus continues at its present speed

I do this with my truck!

... you just stage extra busses along the way and skip the math

LOL

... every spring you quit your job to work on the dive boat for no pay until October

No, been a fireman for 17 years, I get 2 days out of 3 to dive J

... you use a handy bottle of 02 to re-light a cigar left sitting too long... (try it, it works great!)

No, but I do use it to restart a camp fire in the mornings

... you have expensive equipment delivered to work rather than home to keep the wife from catching on...

No, I own so much she never knows when something is new or old

... a keep a "getaway bag" packed and stashed in the corner of the closet in case a last minute dive opportunity pops up...

Have one in my truck at all times including all my sidemount cave gear and full tanks. Really!

... you use a deco bottle to blow the dust off the kitchen refrigerator coils...

No, I use them to run my air tools

... your web "favourites" list consists entirely of weather web sites...

Many of them are

... all the speed dial numbers on your phone at work are programmed for dive partners and dive shops...

Dive manufacturers and dive buddies, YES

... you think that wearing adult diapers or gluing catheters to your todger is a macho thing to do...

Its better than pissing your dry suit.

... you have the morbid outlook that anytime a tragedy happens at sea you say, "is it diveable"?

Yes

... you have pale, white skin yet spend hours participating in outdoor "watersports".

No, I burn easy with all the hours to the dive site

... every time you pass a ship, you try to imagine it as a wreck dive.

This is true, Really

and you really hate it when

Rec Divers insist on being treated as equals

Morons

Rec Divers ask you how much everything weighs, thereby reminding you of how much everything weighs

Morons

Rec Divers tell you, "That super-long octopus hose you have looped around your neck is kinda dangerous isn't it?"

Morons

Rec Divers want you to stand around and smile so they can take your picture in, "All the stuff..."

Pay me cash for that shot

Rec Divers want to know why you carry seven small lights when you have the, "Great big one..."

Morons

Rec Divers have less to carry around for shorter distances, but complain more

True

Rec Divers think Surface Decompression is a put-on; "You're just a wimp!"

True – Morons

Rec Divers ask about deep diving fatalities while you gear up for a tough dive

Idiots – knock on wood

Rec Divers ask why one buddy is not enough

I dive alone

Rec Divers head for cover during creative air fills

So do I, let the $6 an hour man fill that!

Rec Divers insist on lending you their spare snorkel

This has really happened to me at Lady Cyana divers in the keys, I don’t own a snorkel remember

Rec Divers ask why you don't use the latest PADI or DCIEM dive tables

Morons

Rec Divers laugh at the Sacred Duct Tape

Bow to the black duct tape. You know it comes in all different colors now!!!!!!!!!!!

Rec Divers explain what you are doing to onlookers and get it all wrong

This is really true, Morons

and worst of all
Rec Divers explain what you are doing to onlookers and get it all right!!!

Never – Morons :)

See my answers in the above post, I think you have hit me right on the spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha I've been on SB long enough that I actually "get" a lot of it.

Thanks for making me smile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom