Are you still imperial?

Do you use imperial or metric when diving?

• Imperial, my country's system

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Imperial, tough my country is metric

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Metric, my country's system

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Metric, though my country is imperial

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason no one but Walter knows how many yards are in a mile is that it has no relevance to our everyday life. Unless you plan to pace off a mile, and your stride is exactly/precisely 3 feet, who cares?

The issue of precision is interesting. Precision refers to the state of being exact. With that in mind, I'm not really convinced that Fahrenheit is more precise than Centigrade (metric more precise than Imperial, or vice versa). Just because some numbers are whole numbers and some have a decimal point with numbers on both sides, I fail to see how precision is impacted. 1 inch = 2.54 cm; so that makes 1 more precise than 2.54? Homey don't think so.

Having said all that, metric is sure a lot simpler.

Some years back I recall a push to get better acceptance of the metric system here in the US, but it met a lot of resistance. Some progress is being made though.

Shock therapy would be good. If we all just woke up one day and see everything in metric, it would probably take less than a week for us to know it inside out, only problem is we probably forget the old imperial system and would'nt know how to use all the old stuff. Good for economic stimulus. :)

"The reason no one but Walter knows how many yards are in a mile is that it has no relevance to our everyday life. Unless you plan to pace off a mile, and your stride is exactly/precisely 3 feet, who cares?"

You are correct. It doesn't matter how many yards are in a mile. Of course it also doesn't matter in everyday life how many meters are in a kilometer. We use yds or meters to measure realitively short distances. We use miles or km to measure relatively long distances. They have little relevance to each other in either system.

I use both systems easily. I prefer metric from some applications and Imperial for others. For still other applications, it matters not which system is used.

There's something wrong with the board this weekend. Keep on getting that "Cannot find server" thing. Anyway…

Walter, you are correct regarding Burma and Liberia. I just thought it was funny that they're the only countries together with the US that haven't switched to metric.

Regarding your point that imperial is more precise than metric; I will have to humbly disagree. Yes, one meter is a longer distance than a foot, but one millimeter (1/1000 of a meter) is 0.03937 inch. So, metric is a more precise unit. There's a reason why the industries that deal with small quantities, say the drug industry, use metric units rather than imperial, even in the US. Check your 500mg aspirin.

Now regarding the importance of switching from feet to miles. First thing first, it's probably not very important. There are many more important issues, like for instance, the 1200 political prisoners in Myanmar (that's the new name for Burma)… Imperial is just frustrating, impractical and a source of errors. I'd like to explain why.

A kid in a metric country learns 3 basic measures at school: the gram, the meter and the liter. That's it. Not inch, foot, or mile for distance, not ounces, pints, quarts or gallons for volume, etc. you get the idea. With metric, we don't have to switch to a different and unrelated (as rightfully so pointed out by Walter) unit depending on the size of what we have to measure. In Walter's beer example, a pint of beer is a pint of beer. It'll fill my glass and I don’t need to know more than that. But say I have a bigger bottle, a bottle of wine maybe. It is .75 liter and my glasses are 125 milliliters, well I know right away that my bottle that there is 6 glasses per bottle. Now, unless I use a converter, I have no idea how many 8 once glasses I can fill with half a gallon of OJ... Again, it's not very important. It just can make our day-to-day life is easier. The fact that I can't do that with the imperial system is frustrating. But I'll live.

Metric also allows handling pressure (bars) and distance (meters) and their impact on volume (liters) without the use of a calculator. Not only does the metric system uses one unit per measure, it also offers bridges between measures: 2 bars at 10 meters, 1 liter of water weights 1 kilo, etc. So, the metric system can also make my diving easier, thus slightly safer. Now, if you have a good computer, it doesn't really matter. Does it?

Finally, the debate about Fahrenheit and Celsius is probably not a big deal. I'm still not sure why 20° Celsius is 68° Fahrenheit and 30° Celsius is 86° Fahrenheit unlike 1 foot, which is 30.48 centimeters and 2 feet which is just twice as much (60.96 cm). But I don't think that one is more precise than the other; each uses fractions when a more precise measurement is need. The only thing I know is that water freezes at 0°C (32°F), it boils at 100°C (212°F) and I don't have a fever if my body temperature is 37° (98.6°F). Seems simpler and more logical to me. But it really isn't that important…

One question I have always meant to ask this board.
The USA is steadfast in the use of imperial.
In Diving, many argue Imperial is the way to go, and totally refuse to use metric. BUT will always say they never go over a PO2 of 1.4 or 1.6 for Deco....................hmmmm

I dive imperial, because I live in the States and bought my gear at my LDS, but I do like the metric system because everything works together so much better.

Walter's comment on the imperial system being "designed around what worked" made me think of a short story that I posted at http://www.geocities.com/dhom88/EverWonderWhy.htm. Enjoy.

I'm a South African living in the US and I have to admit that I find the whole idea of Imperial in a 1st World country ridiculous.

Too this day, I have no idea how big an 18 oz glass of beer is or how much a quart or 1700 feet is. When driving along the road, there is a sign that says that the next turnoff is 3/10 mile away :confused:

I still dive in Meters and Bars. Much easier. It just makes it a tad difficult when your US buddy wants to how deep or how much air you have left...:)

"will always say they never go over a PO2 of 1.4 or 1.6 for Deco"

For deco? I have no idea what you mean by that. OTOH, 1.4 and 1.6 is the partial pressure of oxygen measured in atmospheres. To the best of my knowledge atmosphere's are neither Imperial nor metric. 1 Bar is close to 1 atm, but it is not 1 atm. Seems to add to the general confusion.

To add to the confusion, as far as I can tell everyone uses nautical miles when refering to distances on the ocean or in the air. Both ships and aircraft world wide measure speed in noutical miles per hour.

The poll is incomplete, I use both systems all the time. I live in the US, trained as an Engineer and I am a pilot. All aeronautical terms are metric (except for distance and speed).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom