Are you still imperial?

Do you use imperial or metric when diving?

• Imperial, my country's system

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Imperial, tough my country is metric

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Metric, my country's system

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Metric, though my country is imperial

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 ATA = 1.01325 bar. That's more than close enough when you're diving within 40 meters/130 ft, i.e. a 0.05 difference at the most.

awap wrote...
But we are inching our way toward it.
That's the worst pun in this entire thread, bar none.

Many posters have written about the obvious simplicity of the metric system, being based on the number 10 as it is. While this is unarguably true, herein also lies its weakness.

You see, scientists agree that mental activity develops the brain's capacity to reason, to analyze, to solve problems, to remember information. Therefore, the Imperial system is clearly superior, as its requirement to know (or calculate) how many pints per gallon or how many furlongs per fortnight stimulate the brain far more than the metric system, therefore resulting in the inherent intelligence advantage its users enjoy....although I don't expect metric system users will understand this at all.

:wink:

Walter once bubbled...
"will always say they never go over a PO2 of 1.4 or 1.6 for Deco"

For deco? I have no idea what you mean by that. OTOH, 1.4 and 1.6 is the partial pressure of oxygen measured in atmospheres. To the best of my knowledge atmosphere's are neither Imperial nor metric. 1 Bar is close to 1 atm, but it is not 1 atm. Seems to add to the general confusion.

I was refering to the PO2 limit of 1.4 with the exception of deco, where 1.6 is acceptable.

And you seem to have inadvertantly realised my point, 1 Bar is VERY close to 1 ATM, and thats what makes metric so easy to work with.

:wink:

BTW, I think you'll find ATM is metric, the imperial equivelant is
inHG or lbs/in2 or lbs/ft2

CheeseWhiz,

Are you saying that using the metric system "rots your brain"?
:D

Before it gets shut down as incorrect, the truth is as follows

Standard atmosphere (atm.) = 14.696 p.s.i. = 1.0332 kg/cm²

Metric atmosphere kg/cm² = 14.223 p.s.i. = 0.9678 atm.

Now thats gonna confuse a few:D

metridium,

How is it a pun?

Aquamaniac,

"inadvertantly"? I don't think so.

Arnaud,

Close, but no banana.

Scuba,

"using the metric system "rots your brain"?"

Being lazy and unwilling to look at new ideas rots your brain.

Scubameister,

"Too this day, I have no idea how big an 18 oz glass of beer is or how much a quart or 1700 feet is. When driving along the road, there is a sign that says that the next turnoff is 3/10 mile away"

Sound emotional to me. 18 oz of beer is 2 oz more than a pint, slightly over ½ liter. A quart is just a smidgen less than a liter. 3.8 liters = 4 quarts. 1700 ft, I'm not good at middle distances in any system. 3/10 of a mile - look at your odometer. As long as your odometer and the road signs are using the same system, you're in like Flint. It's when the road signs use one system and the odometer uses another that causes problems.

Both work quite well. The easiest system is the one you are used to using.

IN LIKE FLYNN

From Gustavo Bruckner: "What is the derivation of in like Flynn?"

Reference books almost universally assert that this set phrase, an American expression meaning to be successful emphatically or quickly, especially in regard to sexual seduction, refers to the Australian-born actor Errol Flynn. His drinking, drug-taking and sexual exploits were renowned, even for Hollywood, but the phrase is said to have been coined following his acquittal in February 1943 for the statutory rape of a teenage girl. This seems to be supported by the date of the first example recorded, in American Speech in December 1946, which cited a 1945 use in the sense of something being done easily.
The trouble with this explanation is that examples of obviously related expressions have now turned up from dates before Flynn's trial. Barry Popik of the American Dialect Society found an example from 1940, as well as this from the sports section of the San Francisco Examiner of 8 February 1942: "Answer these questions correctly and your name is Flynn, meaning you're in, provided you have two left feet and the written consent of your parents". To judge from a newspaper reference he turned up from early 1943, the phrase could by then also be shortened to I'm Flynn, meaning "I'm in".

It's suggested by some writers that the phrase really originated with another Flynn, Edward J Flynn - "Boss" Flynn - a campaign manager for the Democratic party during FDR's presidency. Flynn's machine in the South Bronx in New York was so successful at winning elections that his candidates seemed to get into office automatically.

The existence of the examples found by Mr Popik certainly suggest the expression was at first unconnected with Errol Flynn, but that it shifted its association when he became such a notorious figure. Since then, it has altered again, because in 1967 a film, In Like Flint, a spy spoof starring James Coburn, took its title by wordplay from the older expression, and in turn caused many people to think that the phrase was really in like Flint.

Back
Top Bottom