Are you sure you want to go to Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just heard from my friend in Palau....I know the DM from Sams who is the Filipino involved. he is one of the better DM's in Palau and one of the nicest guys. I have dove with him several times. My friend knows the Senator he says he is a nut case.

Gat ?

He does have a way with words that could be misinterpreted by an overly patriotic resident. ie he takes the mickey out of himself and any other subject he discusses

plus he pulls his fair share so said minister could be a little envious

out of curiosity, what exactly did the DM allegedly do to get the Senator's panties so wound up?

Edit: ah, I think I found more details...

http://www.pacificmagazine.net/news...r-business-operator-engaged-in-bitter-dispute

"During dinner they asked the guide’s opinion about an article in a local newspaper regarding President Remengesau Jr.’s consideration of a ban on commercial fishing in Palau or potential awarding of exclusive fishing rights with one company. His response, according to all three Americans was “I don’t know anything about it. This is not my country.” The conversation then apparently moved on to other subjects."

out of curiosity, what exactly did the DM allegedly do to get the Senator's panties so wound up?

Edit: ah, I think I found more details...
“I don’t know anything about it. This is not my country.” The conversation then apparently moved on to other subjects."

So... what was so offensive about that?

Z...

an interesting bill the good Senator is proposing :rolleyes:... ban nonresident guides... :popcorn:

Marianas Variety

an amendment subsection 121 stipulates that nonresidents are not to be allowed to be hired as tour guides in the Palau; however, they may be employed as assistants to resident tour guides "when reasonably necessary" for language translation purposes.

How heavily dependent are Palau dive ops on foreign guides?

Z...

So... what was so offensive about that?

Z...
I'd probably be offended if a foreigner DM/Dive guide said the same thing here. It's not his country but it's helping him make a living. The least he could do is educate himself on particular topics (granted, I don't know everything about the news, but I try to keep current). His indifference is kinda sad, especially since it's a topic that might affect his livelihood.

But I wouldn't butt into a conversation like that senator did. That's rude.

How heavily dependent are Palau dive ops on foreign guides?

Z...

Well the 8 years I been diving with Sams and Dive Palau....I have only dove with one Palaun Dive guide and that is Dexter at Sam's and he is excellent. The boat Captain's are mostly Palaun....the hotels I have stayed at (4 different ones) over the years would have no staff if the Filipinos left....There really is not a large population of Palaun's to support the infrastructure.

I lived there for 3 years and in oceania for 10
You sound like another damned foreigner to me. Go home!:D

Come on people, give me more!!! I lived there for 3 years and in oceania for 10 but i need more ammo to make comments..

Mike you lived there do you know the Senator?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom