Argon Cannister Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the only thing with trimix is the fact that it is a gas that can be quite chilling when used with drysuits...mabey if someone was wanting to keep cool if diving in a hot spring, or somewhere with warm water above body tempture Helium might be enough to keep you cool...but that is just a thought i had.......I am sure others disagree

divers always seem to strangely favour high performance regulators on deco bottles…more nonsense aimed at making dive centres cash in lieu of safety. When a high performance regulator free flows you lose more gas. High performance regulators are more likely to fail as they have more knobs and whistles in both 1st and 2nd stages. Sensible divers should use low performance piston regulators on deco bottles, plus they are cheaper both to buy and service, and ultimately safer to use with oxygen.

When I see a diver with a high performance regulator on an Argon bottle - I laugh out loud. Apart from the increased failure risk, the gas flows faster and therefore cooler than a low performance model. On a similar note - forget argon bottles, they just show how inexperienced you are. Inflate drysuit with weakest deco mix. I would estimate that 99% of most divers dive in warm water, so why O why do they wear drysuit's inflated with Argon?

also i associate argon with skin itch or rash....aka skin bends

the only thing with trimix is the fact that it is a gas that can be quite chilling when used with drysuits...mabey if someone was wanting to keep cool if diving in a hot spring, or somewhere with warm water above body tempture Helium might be enough to keep you cool...but that is just a thought i had.......I am sure others disagree

Have you ever used argon?

Have you ever used trimix?

Are you even a certified diver?

Before you get too heavily into giving people advice about how to dive cold water, I recommend you at least try it first ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hello all,

I have a question regarding alternate sources of gas for Drysuit inflation.

I have seen reference to an Argon cannister being used to fill Drysuits, however after a (admittedly cursory) look on a few scuba sales websites I was unable ot find such a system.

Could anyone enlighten me or recommend any particular setup?

Yes ... with a little bit more info to work with.

Why are you looking at an alternate inflation system? And why argon?

What typical water temperature will you be diving in?

What are you using for breathing gas?

What are your typical dive profiles like (depth and time)?

Depending on the answers, argon may or may not be beneficial. Alternate inflation systems require an extra bottle (typically 6 to 13 CF), a dedicated regulator, and some way to attach the bottle either to your backplate or primary cylinder(s). Depending on the answer to the above questions, it may or may not be worth the expense and additional setup.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What I've read on the subject of alternative gases for dry suits tells me that it is money spend for nothing. The insulating qualities of argon are technically better than air but, so little that a diver won't notice. The only reason to do it is to save air. A better plan would be to use a 13cf tank with a reg, inflator and spg. Inflate your suit with the 13 and you'll also have a redundant air supply.

Having used argon and air as inflation gasses over the past few Puget Sound winters, I can say categorically that there's enough of a difference for me to notice. When using air I'm typically good for about 45 minutes before I get so cold I have to call the dive. With argon I can stretch those dives out to 70 minutes easily using the same drysuit and undergarment.

That's just me, though ... YMMV ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Trimix won't keep you cool in a hot spring. Diving with trimix in your suit is like living in a house with no insulation ... whatever's on the outside will be felt more easily on the inside.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

divers always seem to strangely favour high performance regulators on deco bottles…more nonsense aimed at making dive centres cash in lieu of safety.

Not to hijack the thread,but I have to disagree. I have used low quality breathing regulators on deco,and it generated work to get deco gas. Ventilating deeply is very important during deco,not short breaths due to low performance regulator. I like a higher performance regulator for deco,to allow for a better inert gas elimination.

I think you may be thinking of the use of CO2 as an inflation gas. Carbonic acid is formed on the skin which leads to a prickly itch.
This happens when people use welding shield gas for suit inflation at something other than a rather shallow depth.

CO2 is actually pretty effective shallow.

This happens when people use welding shield gas for suit inflation at something other than a rather shallow depth.

CO2 is actually pretty effective shallow.

CO2 has some great qualities,and as long as your are diving where you won't have any moisture on your skin from prespiration ie in the heat before your dive then it could be a good choice. If you have moisture,for example in the axilla,it will form carbonic acid on the skin with the possibility of an uncomfortable sensation or a rash.

argon- yes
trimix for insulation- no

am i a diver- you seriously ask such a question...of course i am a diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom