arrrggg descisions decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paintsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
sorry if this is long, ill try to be brief.
i want to purchase a niterider dual beam HID with two 10 watt bulbs, one 13 degrees and a 6 degree for distance. i really like that light because the switch is on the light head and i assume(it says it a 4 way switch) that i can have 1. both bulbs off 2. one bulb on 3. the other bulb on 4. both bulbs on which is great cause i can choose between 13 or 6 degrees or both depending on silt conditions and what not.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3xgtcx

now i need backup lights.
this is where it gets complicated

at first i wanted the 10 watt handheld diverite HID, which seems like a great like
the con i see in it are expensive bulbs incase i drop the relatively small light, long startup time for when i want to just peak at something during a day dive and turn it off after and just general problems i have heard about it, so thats out.

now the lights im trying to decide between are as follows, and remember, i want 2 of them. just in case blah blah blah...

Bulb20w, 35w, 50w bulbs includedBurn Time120min@20w, 80min@35w, and 45min@50wDimensions8 4/5" x 2 2/5"Depth Rating100 meters / 328 feetWeight2.9lb above water and 1.4lb grams underwaterBattery 3.7AH NiMH Rechargeable BatteriesChargerStandard Charger - Charges in 8-10 hours (Free 4 hour Quick Charger Upgrade. A $80 value for a limited time only!)
http://www.nocturnallights.com/Nocturnal_Lights_SL50_p/sl50.htm

BulbTriple High-Powered LEDBurn Time4+ hours (up to 15 hours) when using 6 AA Alkaline batteriesDimensions5 1/2" x 2 4/5" w/o handleDepth Rating100 meters / 328 feetWeight1.4 lb above water (with batteries) and 0.5lb underwater (with batteries)Battery 6 AA Batteries

http://www.nocturnallights.com/SLX_LED_Technical_Package_p/slx%20tech.htm

some kind of greenforce handheld setup
definatly NOT HID
need suugestions on this part too
i like the led one from nocturnal cause i can put it on my hand and not have to hold anything.

so now its up to you, wise divers that have a ton of more experience then me

thank you for all replys, and your time

I'd say you are going too far in-depth with your plans for a back-up. A backup is just that, you switch to it if your primary fails, and it allows you to thumb the dive safely with enough light. It's not generally intended as a "second primary" so you can continue the dive, especially a night dive or penetration.
There have been numerous threads in the last two weeks with reviews of backup lights.
Rule that was pointed out to me- Rechargeables in your primary, but standard cells in the backup (more dependable, cheap and easily replaced if in doubt)
Of course, with the money that you are willing to throw down, I'd just hire a "light sherpa"
gomi_

ok i made that way to complicated
sorry
im not going to want to bring the HID niterider on everydive, like day dives that have good vis.

so i guess my question is which of the 3 other lights i mentined would make a good primary for a day dive, that could also be used as a secondary on a night dive.

sorry about that
i tend to overthink things

If you're interested in our LEDs you can go ahead and buy it, if you don't like it we'll take it back. Don't forget we also have the TL50 dive light and you can use the hand mount with the TL50 light heads too :)

I bought my husband the Nocturnal Light LED light last year and I loved it so much, that I bought one for myself. I'd recommend them highly.

THANK you NLI Tim

ive heard great things about your customer service. guess they are all true.
ill let you know if i decided to try out one of your lights, im still looking around and trying to find the cheapest way to do this.

Back
Top Bottom