Artificial Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good as well.... where is the attached pics?

partridge:
Yesterday, two buddies of mine put in the 1000th dome here in sarangani bay. Attached is a picture of them. They started the project in April, funding the project themselves. Since then, they have gotten some money from civic clubs but the bulk is still out of their own pocket. There is already growth after a few months, especially the ones we drilled holes in and stuck coral in the holes.

partridge:
Yesterday, two buddies of mine put in the 1000th dome here in sarangani bay. Attached is a picture of them.
Those will work just fine, provided the cement mix is stable. Sometimes you have to experiment with the native materials before you "hit" the right combinations.

But they do bear uncanny resemblance to Reef Balls in almost every respect. I trust you guys have informed the holders of the Reef Ball copyright of your design, 'else they flip out.

archman:
Those will work just fine, provided the cement mix is stable. Sometimes you have to experiment with the native materials before you "hit" the right combinations.

But they do bear uncanny resemblance to Reef Balls in almost every respect. I trust you guys have informed the holders of the Reef Ball copyright of your design, 'else they flip out.
This happened in Cebu. Talked about it in a seminar.

Actually, they make 4 different kinds from 4 different molds. One is like a mushroom head and the rest are like this. Based on the available pails and drums here. I guess they look similar but they were made in totally different ways. No idea on the patent stuff.

from the assessment on portu artificial reefs,

i think that structures have to be built large enough to house larger species with larger holes. They tend to shelter in this as long as they feel secure(large enough for them to feel secure).

taking the cues from them *"bu-bu" fishes enter strcutures naturally for protection.

*bu-bu = fish traps made form bamboo slats weaved to form a large basket with just one entrace with a trap for one way travel of them sea creatures. these are deployed by local fishermen at depth of more than 120ft.

we have seen the fishes that this traps catch and they are fishes that can enter the entrace. at one instance we saw more than 15 large fishes inside the traps.

partridge:
No idea on the patent stuff.
Uh oh. Be very careful here.

From Reef Ball's website.
Mold systems, Swiss cheese hole patterns, deployment systems and construction techniques are patented or patent pending and all sizes of Reef Balls are copyrighted internationally. Reproduction in any form is prohibited

But you can verify from this website to ensure the operation is in the green.
http://www.reefball.com/map/philippines.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom