Ascending faster than 60ft/minute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
aboalreem, there is actually a good reason not to go as slowly as your air supply will permit . . . and that's why decompression diving is more complicated than just going slow. If you go TOO slowly, particularly at depth, you will continue to ongas in certain compartments. One of the things the decompression algorithms do is to compute at what point each compartment begins to offgas, and what the gradients are across that compartment at each point. Ascents are generally more rapid at depth, and gradually slow. If you want to read something very good on this topic, look for the threads on the Deco Stop written by Doppler and entitled, "The shape of the curve".
Sorry we need to quote this post because i is a perfect explanation .....
Good job TSandM

Azotino:
Are we talking about rek or tek diver??????????
If you are a rek diver you don't need to change your speed.......tek are different.
This is true ... I was using it as a way to explain a point, not to suggest that it should always be done this way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Azotino:
Are we talking about rek or tek diver??????????
If you are a rek diver you don't need to change your speed.......tek are different.
You don't NEED to go slower than 60fpm. You don't NEED to do a safety stop. But doing so further reduces your risk of DCS.

My attitude is that if I am going to spend xxx amount of time doing an ascent, I might as well spend it in a profile that does a reasonably efficient offgassing.

There are lots of ways of getting an ascent profile that is more optimum than a simple linear ascent all the way from the bottom to the surface.

NAUI is now teaching OW divers to make a stop at 1/2 of the max depth, in addition to the safety stop.

Another simple method is to stop at 1/2 depth for a couple minutes, then stop 1/2 way between there and safety stop for a couple minutes, then do 3 minutes or so in the 10-20' depth range.

Charlie99:
Another simple method is to stop at 1/2 depth for a couple minutes, then stop 1/2 way between there and safety stop for a couple minutes, then do 3 minutes or so in the 10-20' depth range.
This is a method I recommend to my AOW students, accompanied with a discussion of why I think it's a good method to use.

The important thing is to understand what's going on in your body as you ascend ... then you can decide for yourself what you consider "acceptable risk" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Fish_Whisperer:
Dalton: Martini's Law, right?
That applies to surface interval theory doesnt it?

Willie

Charlie99:
Just keep in mind that Margarita's law is only useful for predicting narcosis in TROPICAL water. Martini's law for temperate waters and of course for cold water one needs to apply Vodka's law. :bounce:
Except in San Francisco, where they are still using Jerry's Law ... :walksmil:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom