Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
Only when I ran out of donuts....

yeah a certain new mexico deptartments airship 1 knows all about that and making a dount run and using light and sirens (it even made the news).

the nickname i heard about the asp was all steel pipe.

as for police/fire/ems they are thankless professions but everybody is glad when they show up when its there butt on the line. now only if they would pay better that would insure and retain the proper indivduals.

TJcop:
I belong to many different forums (not just scuba ones), and I have several of these threads.
It's easy, simple and fun! So...

Go ahead, ask me any police/law enforcement related questions!

My background:
I'm a 31 year old police officer with 9+ years of experience. I also teach part-time (police acadamy, police science, advanced training, etc...). I work in SE Wisconsin, in a department that has about 100 sworn officers. Just finished 2005 with about 37,000 calls for service.
My disclaimer:
I'm not an attorney and this is for fun and informational purposes only. If you are in a situation that may require council, please seek an attorney.

OK, ASK AWAY!!!

In my nice and quiet San Francisco suburban area some of our local PD seem to have watched more than enough episodes of COPS. "Get out of the car, get on the ground" in front of a local drug store early on a Saturday night-was something I witnessed just a week ago at a local shopping center. The offenders had parked in handicapped parking and someone had called the police. The over response was so comical that people in the parking lot were laughing. The local young cop got even more PO'ed-"You're all going to jail" he yelled. Most folks simply got in their cars and drove away. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. To all those fine Police officers, EMT'S, Fire men and women, we say thanks.

Why is California such a communist state? Why are their gun laws so abnormal and strict?

Ok - here's a question for all of the LE officers reading this thread:

How do you feel about police agencies using volunteers to process crime scenes? (There's more than one agency out there doing it)

mdb:
In my nice and quiet San Francisco suburban area some of our local PD seem to have watched more than enough episodes of COPS. "Get out of the car, get on the ground" in front of a local drug store early on a Saturday night-was something I witnessed just a week ago at a local shopping center. The offenders had parked in handicapped parking and someone had called the police. The over response was so comical that people in the parking lot were laughing. The local young cop got even more PO'ed-"You're all going to jail" he yelled. Most folks simply got in their cars and drove away. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. To all those fine Police officers, EMT'S, Fire men and women, we say thanks.

Either the car came back stolen, or they were involved in another crime. Especially in the touchy-feely Bay Area, an officer will NOT be able to get away with this.

seakdivers:
Ok - here's a question for all of the LE officers reading this thread:

How do you feel about police agencies using volunteers to process crime scenes? (There's more than one agency out there doing it)

I've never heard of this before. But I suppose that as long as they were trained properly, and knew thier role, then I quess I dont have a problem with it.

Jorbar1551:
Why is California such a communist state? Why are their gun laws so abnormal and strict?

It's not out of line with other "blue" states. Handguns are still legal to own, though magazine capacity is limited for civilians. Assault rifles are the things that have additional limitations on them.

You cannot carry concealed in this state, nor have a loaded firearm in your possession, unless you are a peace officer or hold a CCW permit. Again not out of line with many states.

You want strict gun control policies? Visit Canada sometime.

seakdivers:

That's more of a union issue. As long as they are properly qualified to do the job, I don't care whether they are paid or not.

That said, I've never heard of volunteer crime scene techs before. Volunteer (reserve/auxiliary) police officers yes, but not crime scene techs.

on that note, what do you think of the reserve/auxillary police officers?

ninja edit: and can they perform the same tasks as a regular officer?

Don't get me wrong, I don't always have high praise for all officers, however it's important to remember that they give their lives too often to protect us citizens.

I can only hope that people try to remember this fact in the back of their heads when they find officers less than perfect.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/01/01/BAshooting01.DTL

Suspect arrested in death of East Palo Alto officer
(01-01) 13:31 PDT East Palo Alto (SF Chronicle) -- Police arrested a 23-year-old man early today as a suspect in the death of an East Palo Alto police officer who was shot Saturday afternoon.

The suspect is identified as Alberto Alvarez of East Palo Alto. Police arrested him at 6 a.m. at the corner of Sacramento Street and University Avenue, about a quarter-mile from where Officer Richard May was shot.

May, 39, responded to a call of a fight at Villa Taqueria at 2380 Cooley Ave., near University Avenue, at about 4:35 p.m. Saturday. He pursued the suspect on foot, for a couple of blocks before the suspect turned and shot May.

A 16-year-old participating in the Explorer Scout law enforcement program, who was riding with May, radioed the police dispatch and additional officers arrived soon after. The boy was not injured.

May was a 12-year veteran of law enforcement and had been on the East Palo Alto force for 18 months. He had a wife and three daughters, ages 9, 14 and 17.

East Palo Alto lost one other officer, Joel Michael Davis, in the line of duty in June 1988.

Back
Top Bottom