Ask A Firefighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got one. I tested here in Vegas for 4 years and about 6 of the 10 tests I took I scored 98% or better. I passed the physical test, and went on several interviews and never was accepted. I finally stopped applying after going on one too many car accident calls that involved children and serious injuries. I am a big sap and rather emotional at times. Give me a hose and mission and I can run with the best of them. Give me a very badly injured child and I just break down. How do you get over this. I have spent many hours in the stations and on ridealongs. I have taken several classes and nearly have a fire science degree. I am an EMT intermediate. I have done training at the fire training stations and can do the job, that is untill little kids are involved. How do you get passed it and do your job without breaking into tears. God bless you.

WingNutt:
I got one. I tested here in Vegas for 4 years and about 6 of the 10 tests I took I scored 98% or better. I passed the physical test, and went on several interviews and never was accepted. I finally stopped applying after going on one too many car accident calls that involved children and serious injuries. I am a big sap and rather emotional at times. Give me a hose and mission and I can run with the best of them. Give me a very badly injured child and I just break down. How do you get over this. I have spent many hours in the stations and on ridealongs. I have taken several classes and nearly have a fire science degree. I am an EMT intermediate. I have done training at the fire training stations and can do the job, that is untill little kids are involved. How do you get passed it and do your job without breaking into tears. God bless you.

That one is kinda hard to answer. I still have problems when small children are involved. I guess you just have to look at how much you are helping instead of how bad it sucks that they are hurt. Eventually, you just get to where you can push past it. Its a job, just like anything else.

Oh Gawd!!!!!!!!! Not another Bammer on our hands.....

venturediver:
Tuscaloosa

My best friend has a nephew that fites fies in Tuscaloosa. Do you know Derrick Riddle?

For someone who thinks that they want to be a firefighter for a living, How did you know that this is what you wanted to do? and how did you get started?

Most fire stations welcome guests, Go and hang out ,get to know the people and the things they do.
Some places allow a "ride along" program if you are serious about becoming a firefighter with them.
Or better yet , join the VFD
Ray

Back
Top Bottom