Asthma and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to respond to the latest threads individually but thought it easier to do so in one simple thread so that people don't think I am hijacking the thread with multiple posts. Not all wheezing is asthma. I have treated thousand of patients, one yesterday as a matter of fact, that did not have asthma, but had bronchitis. Physicians should be careful with labeling someone as an asthmatic because of the stigma that can follow. Same is true for labeling someone with seizures or diabetes. Once they are labeled then it has a tendency to remain. I would consult your personal physician and truly discuss whether or not you have a medical condition or merely a few symptoms but not the actual disease. I am the first to admit that there are lazy physicians who will not take the time to determine an actual cause for a condition and slap a quick label on them. This is my concern for people being "medically" cleared to dive with asthma or any other condition. Asthma is a very treatable and manageable medical condition. Many people have it and do extremely well with it. My nephew has asthma and does well. Because the medical community hasn't been able assist with this management underwater, it makes it very difficult to combine asthma and diving. Again, people do it all the time without consequences. The question remains what happens when the attack occurs at depth or in front of students. I don't have all the answers. Just promoting the discussion of the topic. I would welcome and hope that other physicians on SB would chime in.

I have to admit that my bias is that medicals be performed as part of the assessment for suitability for pursuing diving.
While this is not the norm in the US, I think it would assist in pre empting potential medical issues that could lead to difficult situations ; whether this be asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, cardiac issues etc, which have all been questioned on this board.
It seems ironic to me that the diving community and the licensing agencies are all very aware of certain risk factors but do not pursue them pro-actively, and hence intervene early rather than after the fact. This has been the practice in Australia, where a cadre of hyperbaric docs were trained to perform the appropriate tests. This also serves to educate the dive community and diffuse responsibility. When in doubt, the local teaching facility can easily refer to an HBO Doc or HBO facility.
In terms of this specific issue of asthma, it was our previous practice to evaluate what would incite bronchoconstriction in each patient, and it's reversibility with therapy. I think this remains valid in helping the patient make an informed decision in the setting of a thorough and professional evaluation, and a clear plan of therapy.
The recreational communities lack of clear and strong medical standards is just one more example of where "profit, and the best interests of the participant be damned," has been the driving force of the dominant recreational agencies. Withing the science community we have always had very rigorous medical qualifications and testing and we continue to do so.

From AAUS Standards

Scuba and other modes of compressed-gas diving can be strenuous and hazardous. A special risk is present if the middle ear, sinuses, or lung segments do not readily equalize air pressure changes. The most common cause of distress is eustachian insufficiency. Most fatalities involve deficiencies in prudence, judgment, emotional stability, or physical fitness. Please consult the following list of conditions that usually restrict candidates from diving.
(Adapted from Bove, 1998: bracketed numbers are pages in Bove)
CONDITIONS WHICH MAY DISQUALIFY CANDIDATES FROM DIVING
1. Abnormalities of the tympanic membrane, such as perforation, presence of a monomeric membrane, or inability to autoinflate the middle ears. [5 ,7, 8, 9]
2. Vertigo including MeniereÃÔ Disease. [13]
3. Stapedectomy or middle ear reconstructive surgery. [11]
4. Recent ocular surgery. [15, 18, 19]
5. Psychiatric disorders including claustrophobia, suicidal ideation, psychosis, anxiety states, untreated depression. [20 - 23]
6. Substance abuse, including alcohol. [24 - 25]
7. Episodic loss of consciousness. [1, 26, 27]
8. History of seizure. [27, 28]
9. History of stroke or a fixed neurological deficit. [29, 30]
10. Recurring neurologic disorders, including transient ischemic attacks. [29, 30]
11. History of intracranial aneurysm, other vascular malformation or intracranial hemorrhage. [31]
12. History of neurological decompression illness with residual deficit. [29, 30]
13. Head injury with sequelae. [26, 27]
14. Hematologic disorders including coagulopathies. [41, 42]
15. Evidence of coronary artery disease or high risk for coronary artery disease1. [33 - 35]
16. Atrial septal defects. [39]
17. Significant valvular heart disease - isolated mitral valve prolapse is not disqualifying. [38]
18. Significant cardiac rhythm or conduction abnormalities. [36 - 37]
19. Implanted cardiac pacemakers and cardiac defibrillators (ICD). [39, 40]
20. Inadequate exercise tolerance. [34]
21. Severe hypertension. [35]
22. History of spontaneous or traumatic pneumothorax. [45]
23. Asthma2. [42 - 44] (emphasis mine)
24. Chronic pulmonary disease, including radiographic evidence of pulmonary blebs, bullae, or cysts. [45,46]
25. Diabetes mellitus. [46 - 47]
26. Pregnancy. [56]

SELECTED REFERENCES IN DIVING MEDICINE
Most of these are available from Best Publishing Company, P.O. Box 30100, Flagstaff, AZ 86003-0100, the Divers Alert Network (DAN) or the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Association (UHMS), Bethesda, MD.
ACC/AHA Guidelines for Exercise Testing. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Exercise Testing). Gibbons RJ, et al. 1997. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 30:260-311. ACC/AHA Guidelines for Exercise Testing: Executive Summary : A Report of the American College of Cardiology/ American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Exercise Testing) -- Gibbons et al. 96 (1): 345 -- Circulation

Å¢ssessment of Cardiovascular Risk by Use of Multiple-Risk-Factor Assessment Equations. Grundy et. al. 1999. AHA/ACC Scientific Statement. Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk by Use of Multiple-Risk-Factor Assessment Equations : A Statement for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology -- Grundy et al. 100 (13): 1481 -- Circulation

• DIVING MEDICINE, Third Edition, 1997. A. Bove and J. Davis. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia
  • DIVING AND SUBAQUATIC MEDICINE, Third Edition, 1994. C. Edmonds, C. Lowery and J. Pennefather. Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd. Oxford
  • MEDICAL EXAMINATION OF SPORT SCUBA DIVERS, 1998. Alfred Bove, M.D., Ph.D. (ed.). Medical Seminars, Inc. San Antonio, TX
  • NOAA DIVING MANUAL, NOAA. Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
  • U.S. NAVY DIVING MANUAL. Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
1 Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk by Use of Multiple-Risk-Factor Assessment Equations. Grundy et. al. 1999. AHA/ACC Scientific Statement. http://www.acc.org/clinical/consensus/risk/risk1999.pdf

2 Are Asthmatics Fit to Dive? Elliott DH, ed. 1996 Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, Kensington, MD.

strong medical standards is just one more example of where "profit, and the best interests of the participant be damned," has been the driving force of the dominant recreational agencies.

And where exactly are all the bodies of these people diving with asthma that is causing such a problem?
I see no argument for profit and best interest you keep using everywhere here. There just dont appear to be any statistics to back up the fact.

As a Hyperbaric and Critical Care physician, I would like to thank ScubaERDoc for a very balanced response in an area frought with subjectivity and "personal rights".
This is akin to advising motorcyclists to wear helmets. Those of us in the medical profession refer to motorcycles as "transplant mobiles" in light of our experience with people who choose to buffer the impact of their body with their skull. While it is a choice in some countries, to wear or not wear helmets, there is also the issue of education and community responsibility. In other words, the medical and social costs when potentially avoidable situations arise ; such as a diving asthmatic, epileptic or diabetic who requires retrieval, resuscitation and critical care support (approx. $10,000 per day in the US if ventilation is required...and it will be).
I think that physicians are trying to educate, not criminalize.
What I see having emerged from this discussion, in part, is the attempt to demonstrate that a thorough and appropriate investigation must be made if the suspicion of asthma arises. Further, if one chooses to dive, one should do so with the knowledge that on land, resuscitation from acute asthma requires specialty expertise. When submerged, there are no devices available which can be used to initiate inhalational therapy. At best, the administration of a systemically acting medication may be possible, but this is rather dubious in the setting of an emergency and the lack of expertise by non medical buddies.
Therefore, by choosing to dive, the asthmatic should base such a decision upon a firm understanding of inciting events, reversibility, overall fitness, the associated understanding of his/her buddy of the condition and emergency plans, the availability of emergency medical care at the dive site, and physician review.
I know of no hyperbaric physician that seeks to curtail the diving pleasure of any diver, but rather to optimize the experience through safety and understanding.

There have been some absolutely terrific posts on this thread and I want to thank everyone for contributing them. I wish all threads went like this.

With most things im all for letting a person of sound mind who is FULLY aware of the facts and potential risks to make their own mind up as to whether they want to take that risk or not. Some may choose not to, some may choose to do but ultimately it should be their decision.

ALTHOUGH i don't apply that logic to a circumstance where they may place others at risk if something happens.

Stress hormones are released that exacerbate this process and increases the constriction.
Not to berate another doc, but the bodies response to release stress hormones, namely adrenaline, is a proactive response in the body to try and cure the issue. So I would have to say that your are incorrect in your quote above. This is why epinephrine SQ or IM is given in severe asthma attacks. Thats all.

Not to berate another doc, but the bodies response to release stress hormones, namely adrenaline, is a proactive response in the body to try and cure the issue. So I would have to say that your are incorrect in your quote above. This is why epinephrine SQ or IM is given in severe asthma attacks. Thats all.

Psychological stress. There is growing evidence that psychological stress is a trigger. It can modulate the immune system, causing an increased inflammatory response to allergens and pollutants.[11]

[11] ^ a b Chen E, Miller GE (2007). "Stress and inflammation in exacerbations of asthma.". Brain Behav Immun. 21 (8): 993-9. PMID 17493786.

I don't mean to correct another physician but stress is indeed a trigger for an asthma attack and will exacerbate the condition. Epinepherine works by stimulating alpha1, alpha 2, beta 1, and beta 2 receptors in the body. The adrenaline that you mentioned in your post acts on the alpha 1 receptors in the smooth muscle cells in the bronchial tree. This causes bronchoconstriction and the subsequent decrease in air flow. This is why the use of inhaled beta 2 agonist is the preferred method of treatment. The inhaled medication is more beta 2 selective for relaxing the muscles in the bronchial tree and restoring air flow. By the way, Epinepherine is NEVER given IM to treat an asthma attack. It is given SQ or in cases of impending shock IV, but never IM. Thank you for participating in the discussion.

Last edited:
Ooh, not keeping up to date on the latest in prehopsital treatment of asthma? Epi 1:1000 shots are being given IM not SQ. Please refer to this:
SpringerLink - Journal Article
In addition, you could refer to these medical protocols:
http://miemss.org/home/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=PcFzAVnOA4M=&tabid=106&mid=534

In addition racemic epi is given to pediatrics.

In regards to Epinephrine administration for anaphylaxis, it
is now recommended to give epinephrine IM versus SQ.

Studies in children revealed that SQ injection into the deltoid region
took approximately 34 (+ or - 14) minutes to reach peak concentrations
versus 8 (+ or -) minutes when given IM in the lateral thigh.

Buck, Ml. Pediatric Pharmacotherapy. 2008;14 (5)

The IM route for epinephrine is also a component of the recommended
medication intervention in the emergency department of Cincinnati
Children's Hospital Medical Center for managing anaphylaxis.

I encourage you to do your own research as well and come up with your own conclusions. Please read the information and then let me know what you think about IM epi. Please never use the word NEVER...its very closed minded.

I understand your point of view when you say psychological stress, but your previous post said stress hormones, which typically refers to adrenaline among some others.

Last edited:
In regards to Epinephrine administration for anaphylaxis, it
is now recommended to give epinephrine IM versus SQ.

The IM route for epinephrine is also a component of the recommended
medication intervention in the emergency department of Cincinnati
Children's Hospital Medical Center for managing anaphylaxis.

Don't want to get in the middle but...Sorry ScubaDoc, Thousands of children and adults have been giving themselves:shocked2: IM 1:1000 epi at least a decade Ever seen a patient with one of these bad boys EpiPen | Allergy | Allergic Reactions | Anaphylaxis Allergy

The post was at 3am- I'll give you a pass :)

Frogman159, Pharm.D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom