At what point do you buy a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I appreciate your advice on the steel, I think you missed a subtle hint in this thread.
I'm cheap / broke, which is why I'm trying to figure out what would be the most cost effective method of diving
(yes yes yes diving isnt cheap)
Two aluminums would be pushing it too
If dive shops would fill their rental multiple times a day then I may not buy one.

If they will try to charge me (even though im back same day with my rental, wanting to dive again) then I will buy a tank (or two)

I dont mind diving, running to the lds and getting tank re-filled, and going back to the dive site, as FL is chop full of dive shops

FWIW, if you'll be in South FL diving on a budget you will inevitably dive lauderdale by the sea. Deep blue divers (the shop next to the beach there) rents tanks for $8 I believe and will refill them as many times as you want within 24 hrs for $5 a pop.

On the other hand...I bought my used LP95 tanks because my LDS fills them to 3300 or so...I just wanted more air and I dont think these 100lbs worth of steel will ever pay themselves off but they sure help trim me out underwater and stay under much longer ;-)

For me owning my own tanks is a no brainer. The closest shop is 60 miles rt and I get my tanks filled on site free after a dive. Since I dive at least once a week, the rental fee and gas would cost me $1k a year.

As a lot of people have said, owning your own tanks provides many with the convenience to head out on a dive on a moments notice.

I was currently going through this question myself. I decided to purchase two tanks while going through my in-depth advanced class and nitrox cert.
For one I live in an awesome diving location (SE FL)
I like diving at least twice q month.
With my nitrox cert and a fill station down here I can save up to 20 dollars a dive over renting two tanks with nitrox. So after 10-15 dives they are paid for.
I just did my first shore dive yesterday and really enjoyed it. Now if I have tanks instead of spending 55+ for a boat trip I can just get my tank filled head down to the shore and for 15 bucks get a nice dive in.
Worth it for ppl that want to dive enough and live in locations that make diving weekly or semi weekly worth it

I just had a Uncle that had three tanks he hadn't used for 10+ years. He said, "Take them. Just bring them back if you ever get done wiht them." Then my wife got another tank given to her by someone she did a good job at finding their kids a house.

Klinc, have you had them checked out by your lds yet to see if they're still in usable condition? Assuming they're steel tanks.

Klinc, have you had them checked out by your lds yet to see if they're still in usable condition? Assuming they're steel tanks.

Of course. The first thing we did as take them to the dive shop and get them hydro and vis tested. Two were late 80's and one was a early 90's AL luxfers. All of them well past their hydro dates. I was worried about the 80's luxfers from what I read abotu them on the internet and some places not wanting to touch them.

My LDS said, "If they pass the tests then they pass the tests." Sounds logical to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom