ATA vs ATM which is right? Need to know for magazine.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300Bar, I had the same temptation . . .Don't be tempted just show that the rest of the globe is metric:D

SCUBAjcf, I'm checking out the link.

How's this? Trying to keep it simple:

"At sea level, the pressure is 1 ATA (atmospheres absolute). At 33 feet below the surface, the pressure is 2 ATA." etc.You're absolutly right.But in the rest of the world we call it 10 meters/2bar.:rofl3:

Spell it out and not be cute with Anachronisms, closing the door to people debating over stupid things.

I'll try to avoid anachronism's in the future . . .

Main Entry: anach·ro·nism
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈna-krə-ˌni-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from Middle Greek anachronismos, from anachronizesthai to be an anachronism, from Late Greek anachronizein to be late, from Greek ana- + chronos time
Date: 1617
1: an error in chronology; especially : a chronological misplacing of persons, events, objects, or customs in regard to each other
2: a person or a thing that is chronologically out of place; especially : one from a former age that is incongruous in the present
3: the state or condition of being chronologically out of place

How many times will the proposed TLA be utilised in the article ? If few, perhaps you'd be better served to write "atmospheres" ?

Cool, you're a :dork2: diver! I have to find out if they'll let me join the ranks even though I'm a NMOF'er.

Ted

All are welcome at the DorkDiver ranks,as long as you have fun diving.:D

I'll try to avoid anachronism's in the future . . .

Main Entry: anach·ro·nism
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈna-krə-ˌni-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from Middle Greek anachronismos, from anachronizesthai to be an anachronism, from Late Greek anachronizein to be late, from Greek ana- + chronos time
Date: 1617
1: an error in chronology; especially : a chronological misplacing of persons, events, objects, or customs in regard to each other
2: a person or a thing that is chronologically out of place; especially : one from a former age that is incongruous in the present
3: the state or condition of being chronologically out of place

Guess this shows you might be a real DorkDiver.:rofl3:

All are welcome at the DorkDiver ranks,as long as you have fun diving.:D

Guess this shows you might be a real DorkDiver.:rofl3:

I like you :D DorkDivers at the best.

BTW, I know a lot of Dutch divers, but do you dive at home?? I always find you guys in Mexico, Philippines, South Africa etc. Do you dive at home too? My ancestors came from the Netherlands, and I have many relatives there about.

Ted

Just change the whole thing to BAR.Add 1 for atmosphere and your ready.:D
Of course 1 BAR does not equal 1 ATM, adding to the confusion.

Roak

I like you :D DorkDivers at the best.

BTW, I know a lot of Dutch divers, but do you dive at home?? I always find you guys in Mexico, Philippines, South Africa etc. Do you dive at home too? My ancestors came from the Netherlands, and I have many relatives there about.

Ted

Not to be bragging :D but the Netherlands are most likely to be the country with the most dives per year.Well we atleast count them.:mooner:
Example.1 Zeeland,southern(coastal) province(52 divesites) has a anual # of dives per year of 1.000.000 :11:
Example.2 Lake Oostvoorne (a training lake)(3 divesites) has a anual # of 600.000 dives per year.:11: No figures on the rest of the lakes (YET):D.
It is estimated that 10% of the Dutch have a diving C-Card.:11:

2nd bragg.:D We're most likely the most well traveled nation on the Globe.As you said, you can find us anywhere on this planet.Like it or not.:rofl3:

Hey Ted where is the family located?And do they dive.:D

Of course 1 BAR does not equal 1 ATM, adding to the confusion.

Roak

Scientificly you're correct,but for scuba the difference is so small we can ignore it.:D

Back
Top Bottom