Atmos Mission Two Thoughts - long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted a dive computer with a color screen that was easy to read with my old eyes. I liked the i330r, but the recalls kind of scared me. I loved the Peregrine for it's big color display and the vibration alarm (and it's what every LDS recommended for a beginner). But I ultimately chose the Atmos M2 because it had compass, altimeter and GPS features that would translate to other stuff like mountain biking and backpacking.

Divers Supply got the M2 to me in short order and although it is very easy to set up, I had to talk to Bob (an absolute gem of a man) to help with some of the features. It's a beautiful well-built unit that, I believe, could be worn anywhere without fear of being obtrusive. Although the display is not as bright as I expected, it really pops in bright sun.

I never wore the watch or dove with it, but I did have it outside to try out the compass, GPS and altimeter. I could not get any comfort level with any of these. The M2 flashes a "Calibrate Compass" message whenever it needs to be calibrated and you wave it around in a figure 8 motion. I did not know what that motion looks like until I emailed Atmos. They referred me to a Suunto video on Youtube. I felt like the compass direction, even after calibrating, was not consistent. I emailed Atmos about doing a manual calibration before a dive. They said they would consider that in a future firmware release.

Altimeter: There are three ways (that I know of) to calibrate the altimeter 1) manually enter the altitude 2) use the M2 GPS to determine altitude according to your location 3) Synchronize your smart phone GPS data to the M2. I found out about that last method in an email exchange with Atmos. In method 1, you have to hold one of M2 buttons down while the altitude increases in increments of 1 foot. Imagine living where I do (5400') and having to hold the button for that long. For method 2, I could never get the M2 to obtain satellite lock even after an hour outside. Note that I also found that I could not get GPS lock at the start of Scuba mode. For method 3, the M2 quickly and easily synched the GPS data from my iPhone, but the altitude was still off by around 1000'.

I emailed Atmos again and they indicated that they would consider changing the manual method of altitude calibration so that the increments would increase the longer you hold the button. So I really liked the way they listened to ideas for product improvement. But I didn't get a resolution to the GPS issue. I really like the M2 looks, its form factor, the ease of set up and the nice screen. And the build quality is as good or better that anything else I've seen. But for me, it seems like a meal with a great entree, but with trimmings that left me wanting for more.

Note that I also found that I could not get GPS lock at the start of Scuba mode.
Thanks @Litefoot , I have a Mission 1 (two of) and also can never get a GPS lock on either one. Was hopping that this may have been rectified on the Mission 2. I still think the Mission one is a fabulous recreational dive computer, but Atmos needs to sort out the GPS function, or ditch it (GPS) altogether. As a dive computer I would still recommend to friends, but emphasize you can't rely on the GPS function. Anyway, I was considering upgrading to the mission 2, (just for the addition smart features) but will hold off until Atmos sort out the GPS. Thanks for your review.

Thanks @Litefoot , I have a Mission 1 (two of) and also can never get a GPS lock on either one. Was hopping that this may have been rectified on the Mission 2. I still think the Mission one is a fabulous recreational dive computer, but Atmos needs to sort out the GPS function, or ditch it (GPS) altogether. As a dive computer I would still recommend to friends, but emphasize you can't rely on the GPS function. Anyway, I was considering upgrading to the mission 2, (just for the addition smart features) but will hold off until Atmos sort out the GPS. Thanks for your review.

Pylades,
Thanks for verifying the GPS issues were not unique to my unit. Yours is a very good summary of my feelings. It looks like a very good dive computer for basic functions. But they shouldn't offer additional capabilities until they've been fully tested. I was fortunate enough to exchange mine for a Peregrine.

I read lots of reviews about the Mission 2 and bought one. I took it into a swimming pool to test it. At the bottom of the 12 foot pool the watch said that I was 2 or 3 feet, while my old computer correctly noted the depth. I triple checked that I had American and not metric measurements turned on (and the computer said "FT"). To me, the lack of accuracy in measuring depth was a complete non-starter and I retuned the computer for a refund and bought a different model from a different company.

Since you’re in Colorado, you might find this interesting. It may help to explain the difference in depth:

So the Atmos M2 seems to be a work in progress, including a not-fully-developed algorithm to calculate depth at altitude.

Since you’re in Colorado, you might find this interesting. It may help to explain the difference in depth:

So the Atmos M2 seems to be a work in progress, including a not-fully-developed algorithm to calculate depth at altitude.
I have read both the Atmos and the Sheerwater manuals, and the Shearwater is pretty clear on how it handles depth calculations at altitude. I didn't see anything about it with the Atmos. That being said, depth is depth, and pressure is pressure. I have an integrated dive computer on my high pressure hose, and it gave the correct depth at the bottom of the pool (at about 5,300 feet elevation in Boulder) while the Atmosphere didn't.

That being said, depth is depth, and pressure is pressure. I have an integrated dive computer on my high pressure hose, and it gave the correct depth at the bottom of the pool (at about 5,300 feet elevation in Boulder) while the Atmosphere didn't.
No computer or depth gauge directly measures depth. They all measure pressure and convert that to depth. As a result, they will all be wrong unless they compensate for altitude. Any depth gauge calibrated at sea level will indicate ~6ft shallower than actual depth at 5300ft.

As mentioned in the other thread, not understanding surface pressure impacts depth readout (which isn't really a big deal) and the NDL time (which is a big deal). Flipping things around, if depth is showing incorrectly, it's very likely the NDL time is overstated.

No computer or depth gauge directly measures depth. They all measure pressure and convert that to depth. As a result, they will all be wrong unless they compensate for altitude. Any depth gauge calibrated at sea level will indicate ~6ft shallower than actual depth at 5300ft.
I agree on the depth derived by pressure part of your comment. But I don't agree that the depth measured at altitude and hence the NDL computations are inaccurate in all cases (I re-read your post and see that you were referring to depth gauges, not specifically dive computers).The Peregrine measures and records atmospheric pressure every 15 seconds on the surface. It then uses lowest saved reading as your new "start" surface pressure and adjusts underwater pressure accordingly. It is true that you have to descend deeper to get to the 1100 mb start dive pressure, but I think the Peregrine (and most other computers?) will adjust for correct depth.

Sure, the Perigrine senses altitude and adjusts depth and NDL accordingly. However, this thread is about the Atmos, and the depth error cited suggests the NDL is similarly erroneous.

FWIW, I don't believe that most computers have auto altitude, but regardless, it's best to ensure correct operation (auto or manual) before diving in such conditions.

Back
Top Bottom