Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Number 2 above is easy to remember, but Number 1's going to be tougher. Can you elaborate on why it's better to disconnect the charger from the Cobalt before uplugging the wall charger? And what terrible thing might happen if I screw up and unplug the wall charger first?
Both of these are sort of rechargeable battery hygiene. #2 will help the battery last longer, #1 is to protect against the (unlikely, but theoretically possible) instance where unplugging in just the wrong way could create a momentary power spike. There are protections in the Cobalt, but it is always better to eliminate possible problems at the source. No worries, you could do it either way without an issue, but it's better to form the habit of unplugging the adapter first.

Im diving with mine for the first time next week in the UK, inland, so its going to be cold! Will let you all know what i (and my jealous buddies) think. Still waiting for the software though, any further news?

I just talked to a store owner who dove with his for the 1st time on a cold New Year's day. He said he had a lot of trouble reading the display at first, but it became much clearer when he cleared the ice out of the inside of his mask.:D

Word last week was that the Windows software was nearly ready.

Its been nearly ready for quite some time now, seems its a good thing im not holding my breath over it.................................
:D

Who is Liquivision? I have never seen or heard of that company.

It's Liquivision . They manufacture trimix/ CCR computers and a bottom timer, wrist mounted with an accelerometer based tap interface. They have a solid reputation in the tech diving world. Search the forum here for Liquivision and you will find them.

Wow, this is super long thread. Couldn't read them all. But, one or two people here talked about how the Cobalt was somehow old-fashioned because it had hard buttons versus only onscreen buttons. The problem with onscreen buttons underwater is the same problem you have with today's touchscreen smart phones while you are wearing gloves (think Minnesota during the winter, or in 2011, think Atlanta during the winter): they don't work. You have to take your gloves off for capacitive screens to work (or have some very custom gloves that include metal in the fingertips).

So, you want a computer that can work in cold water too...dives where you might be wearing gloves. heck, you might even wear gloves during warm water dives. If you did, those touchscreen only computers would not work for you.

TheBaum
Mares Nemo Air

Yes, the decision to go with big buttons was driven by the desire to work well with gloves in a cold environment. And to give a logical up-down-forward-back interface. The buttons don't penetrate the case, though. They are magnetic. There are some touch screens available now that could potentially go underwater and work inside a housing, but the glove problem remains as well as the issue of reasonable pointing accuracy on a small screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom