Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my 25th dive with my Cobalt today in a recovery dive. Visibility was only 2 to 6 inches max. My dive buddy had another brand of AI computer and had no idea how much air or bottom time left. With the cobalt I was able to even read the compass. The best computer I have ever used.

Thanks for that comment. We worked hard to make the Cobalt easy to use, and feedback like this makes our day.

Ron

Hi Everyone!

Been reading and researching on every possible thread on here as I prepared to take my OW Cert (completed the theory and pool) and will take my check out dives in 4 weeks.

My question is; I been exhausting in my research for what to buy. After months of reading reviews, and reading dive forums and 'boards, I settled on my dive computer. But after talking to my LDS, they all panicked when I told them of my choice. It is the Atomic Cobalt. I actually read this particular thread but started at the beginning and read of no problems. After being told it had battery problems as well as downloadable headaches for updates, I took the time (as this decision is an important one) and read the entire 92 pages and found that my LDS was correct. There seemed to be more divers with problems that were not at fault, but more to do with design and reliabilty (battery failing, uploads, etc...)

Was actually going to buy it today but now putting that decision on hold, and actually leaning towards finding another computer. There just seems to be too many people who have had, or are having problems.

The upside is that Ron has been patiently answering all posts and seems genuinely interested in resolving these seemingly avalanche of failures with this particular computer.

All of this to say (sorry for the long version!) : Is the Atomic Cobalt dive computer worth buying?

Thanks for reading this thread and looking for all who can give advice!

J.

Hi Everyone!

All of this to say (sorry for the long version!) : Is the Atomic Cobalt dive computer worth buying?

J.

Ultimately you will have to decide whether or not you want to buy a computer that does not have a lot of user information collected in all one place (like most of the computers on the market) and for which getting personal advice and follow up is almost unheard of, or, getting the Cobalt. It is a difficult decision. I labored over it for more than a year for the very same reasons that you are hesitant. Even with my industry experience reading this blog is both helpful and instigates hesitance. Then, I bought my Cobalt about 5 months ago and I have never regretted it for a minute.

I have sold dive computers for more than 20 years. In my experience some of the most popular computers during that time had at least equally as many problems and often more than have been identified with the Cobalt. This is true even though they frequently had far fewer features and much simpler computer functions.

I have sold almost all of the major manufacturers computers-note that many differerent brands are actually manufacture by the same companies and factories. And, there is not a manufacturer, in my experience, that has been immune to multiple and ongoing problems. I see the same problems come in with the same computers over and over again and some of the major brands don't seem to care that their customers are experiencing the same problem over and over again. Even the pros that I work with get minimal resolution. They are on the front lines representing to their students and divers what their experiences are and yet they have to have multiple back up computers because they have the same problems over and over again.

I at least sense that Atomic is trying to respond to any and all problems and feedback. Though, no doubt, some issues that involve redesign of the housing and or redevelopment of software will take longer than others to completely solve.

Hands down, I feel, that the Cobalt is the most useer friendly, easiest to read, brightest, most complete dive computer tool on the market. If you are worried about the downlaod capability perhaps consider a back up computer that you can afford that also gives you this option. If you are going to be on week long dive trips or weekly diving locally you will want a back up anyway. If the battery capability is an issue, again, get a back up that you can afford. The Cobalt is more affordable than several top end computers from other manufacturers with less function any way. So, put that extra money toward a back up. If the Cobalt has some problems it looks like you would prbably get resolution from Atomic in a very timely manner. Much more than I can say for S**n*o, SC***P*O, O*c*ea*i*, etc.

Best wishes for the best decision for you and for good experiences with your chosen computer(s).

J.

J,

I think you get a something of a misperception when reading this thread, because the ones writing in are mostly those who experience problems. There are many thousands of Cobalts in the field now, all but a tiny percentage have been trouble free. There was a problem with seals in some early production, and some of these are just turning up now, because many divers use their computers infrequently. These were at root assembly problems, therefore some dealers got batches that all experienced the same issues (though maybe not all at the same time). That makes it seem to those dealers, understandably, that there are a lot of problems with Cobalts. There aren't- though all dive computers have some percentage of failure. Overall, the failure rate of Cobalts has been in line with other computers, or other electronic devices of similar sophistication.

That pertains to the device itself, the Windows download software has been a royal PITA to get sorted, though now it appears to be. On the other hand, Atomic has offered full support to third party applications like Diving Log 5.0 for Windows, or MacDive and Dive Log Manager, both excellent Mac programs, all of which can download the Cobalt directly. Atomic didn't force those developers to reverse engineer an interface, as other mainline manufacturers have done, but cooperated with them up front, and continues to do so. I think they deserve credit there for adopting a customer friendly policy- and for including the download capability out of the box.

You are seeing, not an avalanche of failures, but the fact that we have chosen to be quite open about problems that do come up. And also that this forum has turned into a kind of default support page for Atomic. That has both benefits and risks, but it is very consumer oriented. One thing I can definitely say is that if Atomic were not resolving problems, you would be hearing from dissatisfied users here. Atomic is extremely good about taking care of customers. I know that many of the problems they have dealt with turn out to be user error or damage, but their focus is on having happy customers, not who is at fault. And, unlike with many computers, you are dealing directly with the manufacturer, not a reseller, distributor, or re-brander.

As a new diver, almost any modern computer is going to be fine if you learn how to use it. I always advised new divers to put most of their energy into things where fit really matters- mask, suit (in cold water), BCD, fins, etc. With regulators and computers- things that people tend to get all worked up about- it's hard to go wrong if you are dealing with a reputable LDS. Whatever gear you get, enjoy diving!

Ron

Thanks Ron and BugBagger for all your info and insight!

Ron, as far as putting all my energy into the basics...

I already bought the Atomic Venom mask and SV2 snorkel, Mares X-stream fins (for drift dives), as well as the "smoke on the water" from Atomic for splits, and FINALLY (after even longer exhaustive research) the Aqualung Axiom with the added Airsource QD3 (I had to give some "love" to my LDS for the BC!)

As my LDS only carries Aqualung, I drive 2 hours to the nearest Atomic dealer (Atlanta) and now looking at the Atomic B2 Reg and the B2 octo (for a third alternative air source) and to, again, look at the Cobalt.

I also want a redundant computer and decided on the Mares Icon HD air with transmitter.

So, thats where I am at, and now have to sell oranges on the highway to eat. I guess thats what this addiction, called scuba, is all about!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
While the concern of potentially getting a 'lemon' is legitimate with most any high-tech. product, there's another concern that must be weighed against it...if you buy a dive computer with a difficult interface that you don't use real often & so have to re-learned via a complex, unintuitive manual, what about the concern you won't really get full use out of the dive computer because you won't consistently re-learn & stay on top of its operation?

I'm talking about things like switched the time when you switch time zones, customizing max. depth and low air PSI alarms if you use those, etc...

With the Cobalt, it's easy after a few months of diving to change the time back if you're diving local instead of the Caribbean, etc...

drrich2,

Excellent point. Thank you!

As far as usage, I am specifically gunning for my Instructors cert, so getting in as many dives as I can (planning at least 50 within the next 8 months) combined with specialty courses, is just the beginning of my journey. I want to average at least 100 dives a year, which is why I decided on the gear I already bought.

What I love about the cobalt is that it seems to be incredibly easy and I will most definitely be utilizing the PSI alarms and all the the "bells and whistles", as I am a Newbie, or at least until I know what I am doing underwater!

Your advise is invaluable. Thanks again!
J.

My 2c: own two Cobalts (one for me, one for the woman), and despite a leaky battery compartment on mine (RonR and Atomic helped me out fast and easy, fixed it up right) I recommend the Cobalt unconditionally. Anything can have a problem, but nothing else gets problems fixed the way Atomic fixes them. Moreover, nobody seems to have chronic, recurring problems with the Cobalt: if there's an issue, you send it off for repair and then you're set.

Never had any problems downloading dives to MacDive. My only gripe about updating firmware is the Lion incompatability, but I also haven't felt the need to update firmware in the last year or so.

If I ever ditch the Cobalt, it'll be for an X1 and SPG... but I'm hoping to see what Atomic comes out with in a wristmount computer before deciding.

Now, a small piece of unsolicited advice: consider minimalism early, because it's much cheaper and more satisfying. If I'm reading you right, you're looking to rock two sets of fins, two high-end AI computers, an octoinflator, and an octo, all slung off a full-blown BCD... :xmastree:

Hannibal,

Thank you!

You hit on several key points and have answered my question.

Knowing if there was to be an issue and trust that it will be fixed immediately and the probabilty of having it happen again is lessened immensely if not entirely!

As to looking like a "Xmas tree", alas...that ship has sailed...as most has already been bought.

Just wait til you see the light 'n star on the top! LOL

Geniunely appreciate all your advice.

Xmas Elf from Hell (see ya on deck!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom