Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad Atomic didn't design the zippered hard case so it could also be used to calibrate the compass instead of that lame piece or cardboard.
Yah- I have a literature holder, a lame piece of plastic with some foam (BP 800C from Tap Plastics, $1.75) that does a much better job and is easy to travel with. I cut out a bit for access to the keypad. If you are careful you don't actually need a frame, the Cobalt case will work, but it is less accurate that way.

Ron
1-X-UP.jpg

Hi Ron,

I guess I am such a newbie that it didn't occur to me to communicate my deadline to Cobalt.
In hindsight, I should have just waited to do the firmware update until after my trip.

Yes, it did fail during the update process and I tried to follow all the guidance exactly.
The unit completely died during the process and the screen went blank.
It look like the battery needed to be removed and I had no clue how to do that.
I spoke with Atomic on the phone and they suggested I send it in... which is what I did.

At any rate, I have now been notified it is on the way, so it will be here when I get back home.

I just purchased 2 cobalts, one for my wife and one for myself. We just returned from the the Bahamas on our first trip using these computers. Well mine did not last the first dive. On the boat they both showed tank pressure and were working fine, about 5-10 min into the first dive it was still working just fine and then I could hear the alarm going off and my tank pressure was flashing everything from 0 psi, 550 psi, 3500 psi, 4500 psi, all over the place. We obviously cut the dive short and the alarms and pressures jumping all over the place until we surfaced. Once on the boat I went to check it and the screen was black and have not been able to get it to turn on since. I could not use my reg for the rest of the trip and had to rent one, Not impressed at all. On the other hand my wifes worked great for the entire trip. Any idea on how to get it to turn back on? How do I get ahold of atomic to get it fixed?

...Any idea on how to get it to turn back on? How do I get ahold of atomic to get it fixed?
Call Atomic at 888-270-8595 or 714-375-1433, or email them via the contact us link on their website. This is obviously a catastrophic failure- about the only thing I can think of that would cause this is water getting in. It needs to get fixed or, more likely, replaced.

Ron

Purchased my Cobalt at the end of January. Luckily I tested it out during a pool dive before heading out on a trip. Didn't work. The only thing it registered was Tank PSI and then the screen would go blank. Had my LDS send it for repair and after a little over a month got a new one from Atomics. Haven't tested this one out yet.

Thanks Ron, I will give them a call. How do I know if the computers I have, have been though the recall? I bought 2 new computers and was sent one new old stock unit serial# 4211 That was affected by the recall. The place i ordered it from said that it was already sent back, but I want to make sure. I was pissed that they sent me a unit that was old stock. The other unit was a new one, serial #5112 that is not affected by the recall, but is also the unit that quit working. The 4211 computer actually seems to be better, the buttons are easier to press and the screen goes a couple steps brighter then the newer model did when it was working.

Thanks Ron, I will give them a call. How do I know if the computers I have, have been though the recall? ...
The inspected ones should have a slightly different cover that replaced the original. You could ask Atomic how to identify it, I'm not entirely sure what the best way is to differentiate them without removal, but that was to be changed when they were inspected. Other than that there should be no downside the the older date of manufacture.

Ron

Hi Ron:

I’ve just returned from my second dive trip with my Cobalt working in tandem with an Oceanic OC1 (with wireless integration) as a backup unit. The unit is working great – but I’ve noticed one thing that I’d like your input on.

All of my dives are either two or three tank dives. The first dives – everything works perfect and the Cobalt initiates the 3 minute safety stop routine as I reach about 19 feet to end the dive. Perfect.

On dives two and three (when there is a third dive), my Cobalt does not initiate the 3 minute safety stop routine as I end my dives – it just continues to operate in the normal diving mode all the way through my surfacing. The OC1 on my wrist initiates it’s own 3 minute safety stop routine without fault, and I’ve followed that with no issue.

This pattern repeated itself each day whilst diving this past week and last month.

My question is, is there a setting on the Cobalt that I need to change so that it will initiate the 3 minute safety stop routine on each incremental dive on any given day?

Let me know.

Thanks !

John

What are the profiles like on your 2nd and 3rd dives? I have noticed that mine didn't use a safety stop if I stayed shallower than a certain depth (sorry, don't remember what it was, as I switched to a different computer a while ago).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom