Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know what this means? And is there a fix.

My Cobalt Charged to 73% but now displays "Charge Stopped".

What firmware version are you running? And are you charging from USB or from the wall charger? The message has some differences between versions, and the latest firmware has additional battery diagnostics under the hood, so if there is any question about the state of the battery it should be possible to diagnose on site.

In all firmware versions, you would see this message if the battery got outside of the temperature range recommended for charging, or if the charging had proceeded so slowly that the process timed out. What happens if you unplug for a bit and try charging again?

Ron

What firmware version are you running? And are you charging from USB or from the wall charger?

I was charging from the wall charger. I believe my firmware is V1.4/1

I tried unplugging it for a few minutes and trying again. That had no effect. I then left it unplugged for an hour. I reconnected it and all is well, charging resumed. I think this was the battery overheat safeguard that shut down the charging. The Cobalt was noticeably warm when I picked it up. It was not warm after it sat for an hour. It is 90F here in Playa del Carmen and I'm not a fan of AC and so I don't use it at home.

For now I believe this is a none issue, just the battery over temp protection doing its job.

Thank-you for getting back to me quickly, I was starting to worry. Darcy was also right there with answers. Great team at Atomic. Keep up the good work.
Diving Angelita Cenote and Gran Cenote tomorrow. And then Coz at the end of the month.

I was charging from the wall charger. I believe my firmware is V1.4/1

I tried unplugging it for a few minutes and trying again. That had no effect. I then left it unplugged for an hour. I reconnected it and all is well, charging resumed. I think this was the battery overheat safeguard that shut down the charging. The Cobalt was noticeably warm when I picked it up. It was not warm after it sat for an hour. It is 90F here in Playa del Carmen and I'm not a fan of AC and so I don't use it at home.

For now I believe this is a none issue, just the battery over temp protection doing its job.

Thank-you for getting back to me quickly, I was starting to worry. Darcy was also right there with answers. Great team at Atomic. Keep up the good work.
Diving Angelita Cenote and Gran Cenote tomorrow. And then Coz at the end of the month.

Sounds about right- you could easily have gotten into the temperature range where charging would stop, it won't work properly at high (or low) temperatures. If the issues persists in more normal temperatures, contact us and we can help you run the battery diagnostics. One of the things we have in that screen is a look at the actual temperature of the charging chip.

Ron

My sons did that, but had "charged stopped d" and never did charge. Lowered the screen brightness and all was ok. Sent to factory where there was no issue??? Maybe jostled in transit to CA. Atomic told my LDS that my charger was the issue but replaced the battery anyway. It wasn't the charger as it charged our other 2cobalts just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GODDAMMIT!!!

Currently on vacation and my sons Cobalt is not charging again. Not only that but it's using more power than the other 2. Our are 66%, this one 44%. It's already had the battery changed and still I'm having problems. At $50 a pop (shipping fees my LDS charges me) this problem needs to be fixed or replaced. Talk about frustration...
Btw it doesn't work on either charger so that ISN'T the issue Atomic!!!
Pic while trying to charge

a7ezydy3.jpg

Pic when charger removed.
3e2a4y5u.jpg

Why are you going through your LDS for shipping? Just call Atomic, get an RMA #, and ship it to them.

.....Currently on vacation and my sons Cobalt is not charging again. Not only that but it's using more power than the other 2.....

Are you seeing this "charge stopped" message immediately on connecting the charger, or after it has charged for a while? The exact circumstances that trigger this differ in different firmware versions- the diagnostics here are something we have worked to improve, and the recent firmware update had more "under the hood" diagnostics for battery and charging issues. What firmware version is this running?

The "charge stopped" message should ordinarily only come up when the battery is outside the temperature range for charging- usually that means too hot from sitting in the sun. If the Cobalt is not too hot or cold, it indicates a charging problem. I'm understanding that you are seeing exactly the same message regardless of the charger used- this particular message is not likely to have anything to do with the charger or adapter, but with either the battery or the computer charging circuit. Battery (or actually thermistor) failure is a possibility, but if the battery was changed and you saw this before, that's not likely. A possible explanation is that the battery fuel gauge is not reading correctly- like a gas gauge that shows less fuel than you actually have.

I know you sent back this computer before- do you know if it went to Atomic's Canadian distributor or to Atomic in California? $50 for shipping seems outrageous in any case. I've sent Cobalts halfway around the world for a little more than half that. If you can PM me with the serial #, the time frame, and the shop that it was sent from I will try to research what was actually looked at and done.

You deserve a correct diagnosis and a fix or replacement- I'm happy to work with you to make sure that happens. If you are going to be diving for a while and want some additional diagnostic help on site, PM me. In any case I want to follow through and make sure we know exactly what the problem was. Please keep me in the loop.

Ron

I get the charged stopped message when the charger is first plugged in. Oddly enough it did charge the other night to 76% as I left the charger in but unplugged it when a wicked thunderstorm woke me up. So it had been plugged in for 6 hrs or so. I just checked it, unplugged and plugged in and it alternated between AC Connected and charged stopped messages, quite rapidly.

Oddly enough when it went to the factory, it had no issue. Atomic blamed the charger and replaced the battery anyway. As for my LDS I assumed they sent it to California. Their name is Aquarius Scuba Diving Centre in Toronto. I didn't have an issue as when I sent my wife's button failure Cobalt to CA directly it did cost me the same or thereabouts. Did get a new Cobalt then. Noticed that this unit is slightly different than our other 2 in that it only has the Atomic name on the faceplate and Atomic, not Cobalt on the sides. Older unit?

V. 1.13/1 DiveOS
4710-1050 Serial

I will do a software update when I get home, it's still working and we have more dives to do so I'll leave it as is for now.

Thanks for your help. Love the Cobalt, just wish I didn't have these issues.

Back
Top Bottom